Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BBQgiraffe

Coronavirus pandemic chat [no medical advice plz]

what's your thoughts on the Coronavirus?  

259 members have voted

1. 1. how concerned are you about the Coronavirus?

• it's nothing to worry about
    • it's not that dangerous
    • it's a bit concerning
    • this is rather alarming
    • this could lead to disaster
    • this could lead to disaster and world governments are being idiots about it
    • Walking Dead but not as cool
    • I don't care

Can't say I'm surprised lol, I keep hearing McAfee is also trash compared to other solutions and how deep it goes into the system.

This is quite the irony.

17 minutes ago, Ichor said:

It seems that chloroquine (or hydroxychloroquine, a common malaria drug) completely cures this disease.

Yeah, it seems to help greatly most (but not all) patients on whom it's been tried, but keep in mind it has severe contraindications because of interactions with other drugs, and notably can damage eyesight. So it's very promising and should greatly alleviate the burden on the health services, but it's not a miracle pill. Nothing is.

22 minutes ago, Ichor said:

It seems that chloroquine (or hydroxychloroquine, a common malaria drug) completely cures this disease.

This is I believe being tested on patients in France, this is to try and treat the severe respiratory effects experienced in a number of patients diagnosed with Covid19. There are similar studies with different drugs in other countries starting to be trialed (For example in the UK - In fact the city I went to university at https://www.southampton.ac.uk/news/2020/03/covid19-drugs-trial.page )

I must stress, none of these are a cure. Merely a method of trying to reduce severe symptoms that could reduce the mortality rate and obviously decrease strain on crippling healthcare systems... If it is successful of course.

18 minutes ago, Linguica said:

This is a Doom forum. No one is qualified to offer medical advice here and certainly no one should be taking medical advice from a Doom forum. Please don't spread rumors of potential treatments or cures.

What if we deal with a demonic possession pandemic? Can we post advice in that case?

26 minutes ago, Linguica said:

Please don't spread rumors of potential treatments or cures.

Aye, but it was confirmed that alcohol can kill it.

So, be me, and drink more vodka.

1 hour ago, Linguica said:

This is a Doom forum. No one is qualified to offer medical advice here and certainly no one should be taking medical advice from a Doom forum. Please don't spread rumors of potential treatments or cures.

Have you considered the possibility some may be qualified? I'm all for completely halting the medical advice talk, the truth is even qualified people are having their guidelines challenged daily. The most likely scenario in case of infection is that you're going to end up with nothing more than a Tylenol and prayers to make it through the disease. Everything beyond this is a huge question mark.

As for purely hypothetical treatments beyond that at this point, I can in good conscience redirect to Derek Lowe's medical science journal, some of the best (if not the best) source for all things new regarding medicine and current events, always backed with sources and commentary that usually hits the nail on the head.

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/03/19/coronavirus-some-clinical-trial-data

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/03/06/covid-19-small-molecule-therapies-reviewed

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/03/09/covid-19-biologic-therapies-reviewed

New Zealand has a mere 28 confirmed cases, but now we too are panic buying like its the end of the world. 

I'm currently crippled with a tendon foot injury so I'm dependent on others getting food for me, I'm more worried about starving than the virus. 

Welp, the entire state of California (that's me) is now under quarantine: 

www.foxnews.com/us/california-gov-gavin-newsom-announces-statewide-stay-at-home-order.amp

Everyone has to stay at home, and only 'essential' places like grocery stores, pharmacies and banks will be open.

I'm feeling pretty glad I grabbed those extra food supplies a few weeks back.

Honestly I wish I could just stop seeing the news. It doesn't really concern me or my family too much but every time I log into Twitter or Facebook, no matter what I follow, its about COVID-19. The only thing on the radio is about COVID-19. I love the updates on the situation, but its been getting a bit overwhelming.

7 hours ago, Raccoon_I_Guess said:

Honestly I wish I could just stop seeing the news. It doesn't really concern me or my family too much but every time I log into Twitter or Facebook, no matter what I follow, its about COVID-19. The only thing on the radio is about COVID-19. I love the updates on the situation, but its been getting a bit overwhelming.

Yeah, I feel the same way, in spite of the quarantine. I didn't think anything non-political could dominate the US news cycle for more than a week these days, and now this is the *only* thing on the news.

23 hours ago, Linguica said:

Just run over a medikit?

Jokes aside, if you're in the northern hemisphere make sure you're getting enough vitamin D. Definitely not a cure but you don't want to be deficient should you catch this (as most people up north are).

Thank you for this article. I needed that.

Honestly, I'm freaking out right now. I'm trying to stay calm and relax in this madness. I'm about to come in to work soon despite the lockdown in California. On one hand, I'm glad I am still working and there will hardly be any other people around so I can still do a bit of social distancing, but on the other hand, I feel like there are so many unknowns right now.

That's a relief, Eargosedown.  Sounded pretty scary from your earlier post.   Guess you're stronger than you gave yourselves credit for.   Keep healing!

43 minutes ago, kirbluig said:

what does this have to do with doom?

Er, the Everything Else section is for other stuff unrelated to DOOM, ya know.

My old comment was uninformed and overly jokey so here's a more serious one. I realize now that it is a big deal, but people are still going about it wrong by rushing to stores to hoard toilet paper and food, not to mention that nobody offline seems to be taking it seriously (me included) and everyone is spreading misinformation.

On the brightside it seems to be getting better and most people are recovering.

Old comment:

Everyone is overreacting about it, but at least I'm off of school for weeks potentially months lol.

Edited by DepravedDiptera : Correcting myself

5 hours ago, kirbluig said:

what does this have to do with doom?

Aside from being in Everything Else, people may want to have a central topic to talk about this crisis because it affects most people on the planet. It is therefore only natural to talk about it.

You don't have to be in this topic if you do not wish to discuss this.

3 hours ago, DepravedDiptera said:

Everyone is overreacting about it, but at least I'm off of school for weeks potentially months lol.

I don't see why that's funny. All it does is set you back on your course and your potential working carreer. So i would try to keep up to speed despite the offset.

3 hours ago, DepravedDiptera said:

Everyone is overreacting about it,

It's satisfying to see how people who think it's not a big deal eventually cave in that yes it is. I wonder how much death needs to happen for everyone to follow the protocol.