Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. Freeze

Your first impressions?

6 minutes ago, jazzmaster9 said:

Doom 2016 never really struck me as Supernatural, hell has always been shown as an alien dimension with energy being exploited by humans

so this "hurr durr aliens" comment is pretty silly.

I wouldnt say so. The seraphim and heaven were never hinted at as being alien and the whole "being blessed by the seraphim" thing was treated seriously.
The demons had a heavy emphasis on souls and magic, only later do you find out what argent energy actually is.  You can chalk this up to the writing team not knowing in which direction the story would go at the time but my point still stands. The reduced fantastical elements to mundane sci-fi.

Just now, LF222 said:

Ok so, after playing another level, im starting to think that the difficulty issue is more that the game just leaves you dry in the early stages, not enough ammo to last a fight etc etc, (no pistol to back that up, that one kinda annoys me most)

Just use chainsaw as soon as it reloads.
IQ level 90000, I know.

5 minutes ago, TheMasochist said:

I wouldnt say so. The seraphim and heaven were never hinted at as being alien and the whole "being blessed by the seraphim" thing was treated seriously.
The demons had a heavy emphasis on souls and magic, only later do you find out what argent energy actually is.  You can chalk this up to the writing team not knowing in which direction the story would go at the time but my point still stands. The reduced fantastical elements to mundane sci-fi.

Doom 2016 hyped up more of the cult aspect of the UAC than anything supernatural. the entire thing takes place on Mars for god sakes.

well both magic/fantasy and Sci-fi has been done to death at this point, so they are both overused and mundane anyway.

12 minutes ago, jazzmaster9 said:

Doom 2016 hyped up more of the cult aspect of the UAC than anything supernatural. the entire thing takes place on Mars for god sakes.

well both magic/fantasy and Sci-fi has been done to death at this point, so they are both overused and mundane anyway.

Have you read the actual lore bits? There are constant references to psychomancy, magic, souls etc. in the lore of the demons and hell. These words are used when you are doing worldbuilding with supernatural aspects.

>well both magic/fantasy and Sci-fi has been done to death at this point, so they are both overused and mundane anyway.

You arent wrong. That isnt a good excuse though.

5 hours ago, warman2012 said:

Is it weird that I find this game was a failed attempt at a Games Workshop 40K game

Same. Some environmental elements and monsters almost a full copy of tabletop miniatures. Like doomhunter looks like necron destroyer with flayed one kink, marauder looks like FOR KHORNE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111ONEONEELEVEN berserk, whiplash like hydralisk ravener.
At least none here tries to make "multiple, simultaneous, devastating defensive deep strikes"  :)

14 minutes ago, TheMasochist said:

Have you read the actual lore bits?

Yes, I've read and re read Doom 2016's stuff.

14 minutes ago, TheMasochist said:

There are constant references to psychomancy, magic, souls etc. in the lore of the demons and hell. These words are used when you are doing worldbuilding with supernatural aspects.

I saw this as a way to, in storyline, rationalize foreign Technology. Things were always kept vague in D2016.

the UAC pretty much dabbled in things they didn't understand like Argent Energy itself.

Imagine cavemen discovering fire for the first time it was basically magic and sorcery that is explainable once you know how it works.

and I mean there are still supernatural elements in Doom Eternal with how enemies just generate Fireballs etc.

11 minutes ago, jazzmaster9 said:

Yes, I've read and re read Doom 2016's stuff.

I saw this as a way to, in storyline, rationalize foreign Technology. Things were always kept vague in D2016.

the UAC pretty much dabbled in things they didn't understand like Argent Energy itself.

Imagine cavemen discovering fire for the first time it was basically magic and sorcery that is explainable once you know how it works.

That is one way to rationalize it.

>I mean there are still supernatural elements in Doom Eternal with how enemies just generate Fireballs

The imps have tissue on the palms of their hands that let them condense and mold argent energy and then they lob it at a target.
See what i mean?

Perhaps im just bummed out that it all boiled down to "aliens".

I just love it.

It's make look like if Doom 2016 it's just the Alpha version of Doom Eternal

Im digging the story so far, the combat it's brutal (HMP) and man, the feeling of overtaking a whole rounds of demons air dashing it's pure joy!

First impression is that this is an incredible game that has exceeded all my expectations - Hugo, Marty and Id have built something really amazing!

I'm not that far in, but I'm not sure how I feel. It doesn't feel quite as visceral as 2016 did and the game seems a lot more keen to hold your hand. As for the gameplay, it's reminding me of Halo, for reasons I can't quite put into words. I liked quite a bit of the Halo series, but it's not really what I signed up for. I'm having a lot of fun with the movement options though and I still have a lot of game to go.

1 hour ago, warman2012 said:

I almost have to laugh. Ppl on this thread are complaining on how hard Eternal is.

You wont even bother to play it so you are in no position to talk about difficulty.

Imagine me laughing at Zero master when he find's something hard.

I was really not prepared for how little I would enjoy this. I don't have any real complaints about things like artstyle or UI since those are nitpicks at worst. The overarching issue is how I feel like I'm on a completely different wavelength with the developers on the gameplay. The moment to moment gameplay feels like it may as well be from a completely different franchise altogether. This is coming from someone who absolutely loved Doom 2016. I don't care at all for the resource management aspect with the ability/peripheral cooldowns and such. The combat feels like it leans way too heavy on exploiting weak points and punishes you like crazy if you're not 100% on board with those rules. The whole thing just feels too punishing overall if you're not playing the game in an extremly specific, narrow path they've set for you. I had some underlying worries about this based on the pre-release interviews (like getting the player into the subjective "fun zone"), but I didn't think it would be quite this bad.

i have no first impressions, as i have not played the game. but judging from a couple videos i watched, it looks pretty good, and fun.

My impression so far - It's the tits!

I thought there were some survivor AI but nope - zombie man and imp turf war. Why isn't that a multiplayer mode? Monster Mashes - The Mashening "Hell can't keep its shit together" lol

Mick Gordon grooves. Everything in the world has gone to shit but Mick Gordon's Pro Tools sessions. They will outlive us all. His effects chains make the Human Centipede blush. 

It has been odd being starved of ammo. I think it was to balance out being able to grenade everything with a shotgun mod from the start. And to encourage chainsaws as opposed to glories for collecting ammo. 

It was nice they took my ridiculous suggestion to heart of having Titans walking amongst skyscrapers. 

Even if the metrics bigwigs masturbate to demonstrate no one cares; they should have included traditional deathmatch mode. Who cares if you start with a pea shooter and can hold 20 weapons you can grab from the map?

So what if it plays like Quake? Doom coined it along with its namesake.... C'mon dude :) That 486 beige plastic has weathered into the color piss but Deathmatch lives on forever

I'm sure the game will pick up, but I had to quit after encountering the 10th popup info screen in like 2 minutes.

The game is difficult for sure but it isn't cheap. I haven't died once where I thought it was bullshit, instead there's a perfect reason.

That first slayers gate or whatever was challenging and threw more enemies at me at once then I think Doom '16 ever did.

Played the first two levels last night. I originally had mixed feelings which have improved over time:

The opening is terribly paced IMO. It flings you into the game seemingly halfway through the story, chucks three dozen systems at you, and hits you with heavy enemies within minutes with nothing more than 16 shells to your shotgun. It hits you so hard and fast it's very tricky to get a feel for the rhythm of the game at first. 

But after a while, with time to absorb the systems, being familiar the controls in the midst of battle (going from mostly playing classic Doom, which needs basically one attack button, to this, which needs about 6, was a challenge), and getting the "flow" of battle, it started to click. I'm looking forward to trying more.

A few other thoughts:

• Initial ammo caps are way too low. 16 shells and 60 bullets feels ridiculous, especially when a single Arachnotron can take all of that. The game needed to do a better job at easing you in to the ammo-starvation / chainsaw-for-more approach.
  • Cacodemons are weirdly imbalanced. At distance they can be mostly ignored, but if they get even slightly close they do a Lost Soul charge and knock 80% of your health off. 
  • I'm playing on UV, and good lord it's edge-of-your-seat gameplay. Huzzah for actually challenging gaming.
  • The extra life system seems kind of useless when it respawn you literally where you died. If I'm surrounded by enemies when I died, respawning still surrounded by enemies isn't going to help at all. They should have given you an option to use it or to respawn at the check point.
  • Locking the Slow-Mo Jump rune to the same button as Alt-Fire seems strange.
  • The Fast-Travel system at the end is an absolute crutch for levels that lock you off as you progress, but eh, it's better than nothing
  • I've taken to straight-up ignoring all lore and codexes and whatever during a level, and then spending 20 minutes at the Fortress of Doom binging on them. So far it's a nice balance.
  • I don't mind the parkour stuff. At least you don't have to do any of it while fighting enemies, and if it allows for more expansive levels, that's no bad thing.

So TL;DR: terribly paced start, needed much longer to slowly introduce you to the systems and gameplay loop, but now I've gotten the hang of it I'm really enjoying it.

Love it.  Can't believe my rig can keep it over 80fps.  Playing on UV and have only died twice so far.  It feels like a GAME and it's awesome.  Love how hard it is, my cheeks have clenched countless times.  Very impressed. Wish they would've cut out some of tutorial crap at the start.

I've never understood how so many enjoy so-difficult games. In the past, I've heard countless stories of frustrated players punching their (CRT) screens and quickly introducing their PC base units to the pavement outside, but why doesn't that happen now? I would've thought with people succumbing to rage so much easier now than in the past, such stories would increase. I don't like masochism at the best of times, and I certainly don't inflict it on myself. Makes me wonder why others do?

I mean, are all other PC games out there in today's market absolutely piss-easy?

It's ok, kinda fiddly to play and obtaining health and armour while surrounded by heavy hitters is a pain. Cacos are trivial and trons overpowered (im only 2 hours in). Everything has been honed to just below my enjoyment threshold.

I'm ~5 hours in and thus far it's tied as my favorite DOOM since (Ultimate) classic DOOM.   It's even bumping out DOOM 64 as my second favorite.

Back when DOOM 1 came out I was 12; I always pictured what DOOM would look like in the future (beyond the pixels and the sprites), and this is exactly it. This is how I envisioned it in my head growing up all those years ago. I thought at the time if the CGI of that era could produce amazing things like the dinosaurs we first saw in Jurassic Park, and all the bleeding edge graphics and cool features and gameplay that other games starting implementing... that would eventually happen with DOOM. And it did.

I really like what I’ve played but the game freezes up after only like 10 minutes of gameplay and is kinda rendered unplayable after that so I might refund it idk.

25 minutes ago, Bauul said:

Played the first two levels last night. I originally had mixed feelings which have improved over time:

The opening is terribly paced IMO. It flings you into the game seemingly halfway through the story, chucks three dozen systems at you, and hits you with heavy enemies within minutes with nothing more than 16 shells to your shotgun. It hits you so hard and fast it's very tricky to get a feel for the rhythm of the game at first. 

But after a while, with time to absorb the systems, being familiar the controls in the midst of battle (going from mostly playing classic Doom, which needs basically one attack button, to this, which needs about 6, was a challenge), and getting the "flow" of battle, it started to click. I'm looking forward to trying more.

A few other thoughts:

• Initial ammo caps are way too low. 16 shells and 60 bullets feels ridiculous, especially when a single Arachnotron can take all of that. The game needed to do a better job at easing you in to the ammo-starvation / chainsaw-for-more approach.
  • Cacodemons are weirdly imbalanced. At distance they can be mostly ignored, but if they get even slightly close they do a Lost Soul charge and knock 80% of your health off. 
  • I'm playing on UV, and good lord it's edge-of-your-seat gameplay. Huzzah for actually challenging gaming.
  • The extra life system seems kind of useless when it respawn you literally where you died. If I'm surrounded by enemies when I died, respawning still surrounded by enemies isn't going to help at all. They should have given you an option to use it or to respawn at the check point.
  • The Fast-Travel system at the end is an absolute crutch for levels that lock you off as you progress, but eh, it's better than nothing
  • I've taken to straight-up ignoring all lore and codexes and whatever during a level, and then spending 20 minutes at the Fortress of Doom binging on them. So far it's a nice balance.
  • I don't mind the parkour stuff. At least you don't have to do any of it while fighting enemies, and if it allows for more expansive levels, that's no bad thing.

So TL;DR: terribly paced start, needed much longer to slowly introduce you to the systems and gameplay loop, but now I've gotten the hang of it I'm really enjoying it.

I agree pretty much with everything you’re saying. I played the first level at around 2:00 AM and the game felt really sloppy. After a good night’s rest (and an fov change) I went after the second level to find it feeling much better. 

The combination of my leaking Swiss cheese 2AM brain and a set of new controls had my fingers fumbling all over the keys. Played a bit of Exultia today and everything felt crisp and in command on my part. Super fun combat loop, can’t wait for more!

17 minutes ago, The Icon of Sin said:

I really like what I’ve played but the game freezes up after only like 10 minutes of gameplay and is kinda rendered unplayable after that so I might refund it idk.

What are you playing on?

I watched LGR's review and he said the game has far less combat arenas like Doom 2016 did and that's something I didn't enjoy about that game so I am definitely more interested now in Eternal.

31 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

I've never understood how so many enjoy so-difficult games. In the past, I've heard countless stories of frustrated players punching their (CRT) screens and quickly introducing their PC base units to the pavement outside, but why doesn't that happen now? I would've thought with people succumbing to rage so much easier now than in the past, such stories would increase. I don't like masochism at the best of times, and I certainly don't inflict it on myself. Makes me wonder why others do?

I mean, are all other PC games out there in today's market absolutely piss-easy?

Games are more entretaining and less frustating that before, with adaptive difficulty, more checkpoints and better thing to chesse, it's more a nouseanse that frustaing

It's difficulty in comparation on other PC Games out there because, every game it's have a difficulty different for everygame. Maybe the campaing of CoD it's easy, but the MP it's unforgiven at times, maybe Civilitazion don't need reflex or mouse aiming, but need a good thrinking, etc-

43 minutes ago, Bauul said:

A few other thoughts:

Agree with a lot of this.  I'm about 1/5th of the way through Cultist Base (level 3) and I got to say the first 2 levels felt a little off.  The paucity of ammo compared to Doom 2016 is significant and I wasn't really prepared for how different the game would play; you basically have to alternate between shoot, chainsaw, shoot, shoot, chainsaw, etc. non-stop.  I also get id wanting to introduce a "Heavy" early on to establish the frenetic pace and intensity they're looking for, but I'm not sure the Arachnotron was the best enemy to do so--it forces you to aim more precisely than the game can really support (at least for the weapons you start out with) and with no upgraded health or suit, I found myself bloodied and beaten by the end of each encounter.  (You also have no dash to get out of its way, whereas it has a fancy little side-jump maneuver.)  The Hell Knight also feels significantly more difficult than he was in Doom 2016.

At a high level, I completely see now what Hugo Martin was saying the last 6-12 months about Doom Eternal being closer to "combat chess" than Doom 2016 was; you can no longer just select the shotgun and run around blowing everything to bits.  Id certainly accomplished what they were going for.  I guess I'm just not sure if that's a good thing.  At least based on the first 2 levels, the game seems to have lost some of the visceral pleasure and glorious simplicity that makes Doom Doom.

All that being said, I've barely started the 3rd level and I feel it getting a little better as I start to upgrade my weapons, suit, etc. and as I get used to the shoot/chainsaw/dash/glory kill/shoot/chainsaw/repeat framework.      

45 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

I dunno, a new era where people aren't destroying computer hardware over fucking video games sounds like a good time.

It feels good to overcome a challenge, especially a challenge that feels fair and is communicating the nature of it to you. Doom and Doom 2, for all their strengths, are pretty easy games, and it's hard to feel fulfilled when playing them. Overcoming some really tough challenge feels a lot better.

1 hour ago, Foebane72 said:

short answer: Yes

Long Asnwer: Yes, because most AAA games today are interactive movies with gameplay sprinkled in.

I've gotten some way through the Cultist Base, which feels like the first proper level, and I've got some more thoughts on the combat.

With so many different buttons for things - glory kill, grenades, dash, flame belch, as well as all the cooldowns you have to keep track of, it can sometimes get a bit overwhelming in the middle of the intensely chaotic and frenetic fights, especially the larger ones. My brain sometimes locks up a bit and I lose my bearings, mashing the keyboard like a monkey. I sometimes have to run around in order to give me time to gather my thoughts!

One definite issue I'm having right now is when all the small fry are dead, and there's a couple of bigger bastards still lumbering around who can't be chainsawed, but I'm also low on ammo, it gets pretty hard in a way that doesn't feel intentional. Has anyone had this issue?

As awesome as it is unstable.

So far I've had three softlocks from either going into or coming out of menus, one of which prevented the game from launching again at all without a full reboot. Updating my drivers right now, but not holding out much hope for a smooth run of chapter 2.

As for the game itself, not being able to double-click melee the fodder zombies took a bit of getting used to. Multiple times I found myself on the ropes because of resource starvation but somehow managed to not die in combat at all. Took a while to click that the chainsaw regenerates, which is a big help in the face of such an anaemic level of ingame pickups. But yeah, if the intention was to force the player to keep switching up their weapon usage, I think they nailed it.

Now, if they can just fix it. More id, less Bethesda, please.