Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lazygecko

This does not feel like a Doom game

What they did here feels alot like what Blizzard did with Diablo 3.

There is a whole slew of things they did to the game I like/dislike (colors and arcade feel was a biggie), but I returned the collectors edition for just the regular game for more reasons than one.  I gave it a good 4-5 hours of gameplay hoping it'd pickup, but... it didn't....

Just expected to be whoa'd like Doom'16.  As mentioned, this is alot like how Diablo 3 went.  It's a good game, in Diablo's case, Diablo 3 was not a good Diablo game compared to it's predecessor, and here, Doom Eternal is a good game, just not a good Doom game.  I'm just gonna go buy Doom 64 on Steam instead.

I've been thinking on that myself (the developers "forcing" us to play a certain way). Its apparently like this, because it creates a more engaging experience overall, which we find more fun. But they have a few different perks that can spice it up a little. It's fine most times, but having to switch guns every few seconds does get aggravating for me on console. Then again, I did stay up all night playing it, and at some point along the way I was too tired to focus well enough to be fully engaged. it's definitely not a mindless shooter

Feels more like a Doom game than 2016 did. Yeah it's more complicated, but you don't camp in the middle of arenas anymore. You run around for ammo and to get Revenants off your back. There's enemies outside of the arenas now that you breeze through with bullets. It's not 1:1 and it shouldn't be.

Well, it's not gonna be the same as anything like Doom from the 90s, gameplay has to evolve to keep the base fresh for newcomers and for it to compete with other games in current day media. What they've achieved is already pretty impressive and it at least stays somewhat true to Doom, that is in terms of certain design aesthetics and gameplay; lack of reloading, no sprint, each battle being a puzzle, demon designs etc. Sure, you could say that some animals have no need to evolve because what they're built for "just works" (I see you, Todd) for what their intended purpose is. But again, this is an EXTREMELY comeptitive market where things have to change to rake in the most consumers. ID software have accomplished that just gloriously

Too much of the game feels like some ghastly Mario World now for me.  The jumping feels way out of place and is a not a minor inclusion either.  I have to say I am underwhelmed with it so far.  Maybe I was expecting too much from the sneak peaks we have had.

The gunplay is great, but too many things have been over complicated.  The reason I loved the last game was precisely because it was not complicated.  

Edited by silvercue

47 minutes ago, Thorogrimm said:

But again, this is an EXTREMELY comeptitive market where things have to change to rake in the most consumers. ID software have accomplished that just gloriously.

Exactly who in the hell is gonna want to be bogged down in forced resource management and forced RPG elements in an FPS? Not just any FPS, but the twitchiest twitch godfather shooter of all time, DOOM?! Keep Fallout's mechanics, in Fallout. Mixing Borderlands and Doom is NEVER a good idea. And before you go saying: "Look at how successful the game is," most of those guys are either casuals who just accept whatever Triple A devs forcefeed them or stuck in collective fanboi echo chambers that only forcefeed themselves propaganda that anything labeled Doom is great and there can be no wrong in what these devs do.

Doom was never about RPG leveling mechanics or pinata confetti addiction orgies, Doom was about mindless action and fast paced gameplay that never apologized about being what it is. Gamers had to figure shit out on their own. Now we got this game inserting "mortally challenged" for demons and telling you how to beat the enemies. (I know that is a joke but why even include something like that? Politics suck, and I don't wanna be reminded of the soy community at all, even if its a joke.)

No the only thing glorious is how fandoms have fallen in all areas today to satisfy the casual community who need to be guided like children how to play a game and to pander to the soy and victim communities. Quality is gone, and I am afraid it will not be coming back.

7 minutes ago, warman2012 said:

satisfy the casual community

beat the game on ultra-nightmare

41 minutes ago, warman2012 said:

Random Rambling....

...Quality is gone, and I am afraid it will not be coming back.

"I don't like it therefore its bad/not doom/not quality"

Good bye, at least now we will be free of your 2 old school 4 U rambling.

I can tell your in denial about Doom Eternal success but I cant blame you.

You're a Real Crusader of REAL DOOM and you need to uphold that to boost your ego.

This is not Classic Doom. And that is precisely what I didn't want it to be. If I wanted classic doom, I'd play classic doom. It has evolved the formula while staying true to the spirit. D16 and DE play unlike any game I've ever played, they are a new kind of shooter that feels like an extension of twitch/arena shooters. They manage to feel completely new while also feeling comfortingly old. That is what I love about this new id Software and their games.

Jesus tapdancing Christ, all these threads made solely to shit on Doom Eternal is pretty much the exact same post made here (the one this tweet refers to anyway):

And besides, would people be still buying Doom if it was the exact same thing for every single entry?
Just ask the Call of Duty fans who complain about how “every game is the exact same thing” and then when the games try to switch things up, they start complaining about laser guns and jetpacks.

3 hours ago, lazygecko said:

I realize your mileage may vary with what truly "feels like Doom", but for me 2016 and even Doom 3 felt close enough to the originals in spirit, while the gameplay design in Doom Eternal feels so incredibly far removed from what I'm looking for in a Doom game and I was really taken aback by it. From all the pre-release footage and interviews I watched, I had an at most very mildly questionable attitude towards the expressed direction of the game mostly stemming from indifference toward a lot of the new mechanics added, but it wasn't until I played it myself for a couple of hours when it really dawned on me just how fundamentally different it is and how I'm really not enjoying it.

My overall issue with the new direction is that they tacked on all these new systems and complexities to the combat that I ultimately don't have much interest in engaging with. I don't really care about the chainsaw, the peripheral gadgets like the launcher and flamethrower, etc. Didn't care about them in 2016 either (which I loved from start to finish regardless), but at least it was pretty easy to just brush aside there. In Eternal they've designed the whole game around really forcing you to use all these things that are locked behind charges/cooldowns. This new mandatory layer of resource management is not fun at all and just adds an immense sense of frustration. They've funneled you down this really narrow vision of how to play (ie, the "fun zone").

I don't really have a problem with games punishing you if you don't "git gud". I love the Dark Souls games. But at least those games give you a lot of options and freedom in how you want to play and engage the different obstacles/encounters. Doom Eternal really only seems to have one "correct" way of playing and if you're not into it, then tough shit. From the interviews it seems like this decision was informed from watching how a lot of people played Doom 2016 "wrong" and potentially not enjoying it, and id subsequently feeling that they had to herd players down a specific path. I guess that means I have also been retroactively playing Doom 2016 "wrong" the whole time as well which is a kind of alienating feeling.

This is not really a statement on whether Doom Eternal's gameplay is good or bad, but I can say with certainty that it's not for me. Kind of similar to people's attitudes toward Death Stranding I suppose.

This is how you phrase a dislike for something without injecting bias. If you can't manage at least this you should probably save your "criticism" if you don't want to piss people off. Not naming names, you know who you are. 

3 hours ago, lazygecko said:

I realize youThis is not really a statement on whether Doom Eternal's gameplay is good or bad, but I can say with certainty that it's not for me. Kind of similar to people's attitudes toward Death Stranding I suppose.

I'm glad you gave the game a fair shot and understood that being different isn't bad.

Grrrrr....How.....Dare.....You......Not..................Like..........................................Doom.................................Eternal..............................................Fuckin........................................Boomer...............................RAAARGH....................................!!!!!!11

(I really, really hope nobody that liked this took me seriously)

Edited by doomsucksass

Yep, my exact problems too, OP.

No matter how much people want to mindlessly repeat the "games need to evolve, man!" mantra, it doesn't justify piling a bunch of abstract and clunky mechanics on top of what should be a pure and undiluted run and gun experience. Good thing I wasn't hyped for the gameplay because I would be completely disappointed. It's fun enough to keep me engaged as I play to see what will happen next and where the game will take us, but the actual gameplay is definitely the one low point so far. I don't mind the slow learning to deal with all these mechanics and getting better at the game, I don't mind dying over and over as I adjust my approach to the game, but it's just a load of baggage I never wanted to have to deal with in a Doom game in the first place.

4 minutes ago, Antroid said:

No matter how much people want to mindlessly repeat the "games need to evolve, man!" mantra,  it doesn't justify piling a bunch of abstract and clunky mechanics on top of what should be a pure and undiluted run and gun experience. 

but the games DOES need to evolve, Just because it didn't evolve the way you wanted does make the mechanics bad or diluted.

The added mechanics really give more depth to what might have been another shoot it until it dies game that Doom 2016 was, most of them are optional as well so it's not like your are forced to use all the upgrafes

This is the same site that freaks out on people that use mouselook in classic doom, I'm taking every opinion I read with 46 grains of salt.

12 minutes ago, Mangcubus said:

This is the same site that freaks out on people that use mouselook in classic doom, I'm taking every opinion I read with 46 grains of salt.

Man, in his moment, i like more the youtube commenarys reviews that here, LOL

Everyone happy on everywebsite, Doomworld have only negative topics because it's not like Doom 2

Actually, it feels like all classic DOOM, DOOM 2 and DOOM 64 and feels not at all like DOOM 2016 (which somewhat felt more like DOOM 3 on speed). And I feel a lot of Heretic and Hexen vibe in there, too.

straight out the gate, I felt like I was in a modern version of any DOOM 2 city map.
And all the chasms, pits, bluffs, caverns and fotress/citadels feel straight up like DOOM/2/64. All the tricks and traps and platforms and and labyrinthy areas. Even the detail and design are remarkably in sync with the look and feel of the classics, along with enemy count/design, audio, etc.

It's more DOOM than anything DOOM has been since the 90's.

Edited by Buckshot

Platforming and constantly running out of ammo were not what I had in mind for a Doom game. So incredibly annoying to constantly farm ammo, use chainsaw, etc. Does not feel like a proper Doom game to me

I don't know. I get some of your points, but for me, it felt way more like "Doom" than 2016. It might just be the visuals of the maps, with the occasional greens, but there was something about the way it presented itself in general that felt very much like Doom 2. Up to and including the tone of the presentation.

Visually the game looks more like Doom regarding the level design, and the music is great, but they have put so much dumb crap for no reason... And that is just what little i have seen so far.
The story is ridiculous and not in a good way, the platforming is out of place and breaks the pacing, the "rpg" elements are out of place, the forced trainings and tutorials are out of place, the hub is out of place, the colorful pick ups and piñata monsters are out of place, zero creativity in the glory kills, too much of a way too cartoonish look and tone...
Is like they purposely took what people liked about the previous game and made it worse and overly complicated, really odd.
Some stuff seems to be better than in the previous game and other worse.

Edit: Oh, and the "you have to play EXACTLY the way i want you to" gameplay style just sucks, to me is really weird and interesting than the original games got so much stuff right that 25 years later so many games dont even come close in terms of gameplay quality.