Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cambreaKer

Any good vanilla city megawads?

I'm looking to play some vanilla megawads with the city theme, can anyone recommend me some good ones?

Do you mean vanilla mapsets containing at least 15 maps (i.e., the idgames definition of a megawad) that ALL have the city theme?

Or vanilla mapsets containing at least 15 maps where SOME of the maps the city theme?

This isn't a megawad, but Altitude by Tourniquet is an excellent vanilla city map with 600+ monsters. So its pretty long. 

While "City of Doom" isn't close to a megawad, the 11 maps in it are supposed to resemble various places typical of a city, like houses, factories, stores, tall buildings, etc. Garrulismo also has plenty urban-styled maps in the middle, and it's a spanish megawad. There's also Doom 2 Reloaded, though the city maps are far and few between the wad, these have some memorable large buildings, and if you're into the narrative it'll feel like you're escaping from a giant city to hell. And I just thought of this too, but you may have to search for custom skies and music first. The "city" theme is purely abstract in there.

I don't know of any full megawad that fills more than half of its content with that theme in particular, so these options may or may not be what you want.

Doom 2 Reloaded, Doom 2 the way id Did, Doom City (single map)
Kama Sutra have a few city levels IIRC

1 hour ago, Bingo Johnson said:

Hellbound

I think this one is not vanilla (edited)

Edited by Noiser

Hellbound can be perfectly played in Crispy Doom despite the high meticulous detailing and has no crazy special actions not seen yet, so imo it should count along "vanilla" megawads.

15 minutes ago, galileo31dos01 said:

Hellbound can be perfectly played in Crispy Doom despite the high meticulous detailing and has no crazy special actions not seen yet, so imo it should count along "vanilla" megawads.

Isn't it limit-removing? Maybe I just misremembered.

1 minute ago, Noiser said:

Isn't it limit-removing? Maybe I just missremembered.

Yea, requires a limit-removing port. The maps only use vanilla actions, no boom or zdoom specials so that's why I pair it with other vanilla-in-essence megawads.

By city-like, do you mean maps that use a city as a set-piece, or where the level design is Downtown or Industrial Zone like?

13 hours ago, DSC said:

By city-like, do you mean maps that use a city as a set-piece, or where the level design is Downtown or Industrial Zone like?

Both.

On 3/21/2020 at 9:43 PM, Lizardcommando said:

I am not sure if this is vanilla compatible or not, but Fragport has a lot of city levels.

Fragport.txt explicity said this:
''Game Version Required  : DooM 2 (v1.9) or any source port. (but no jumping!)''

and

''Will Not Run With      : DooM 2 for Windows 95 and any source port that doesn't
                                  run DeHackEd patches.''

So yes, it is vanilla compatible. And its a big adventure kind of wad, if you like TNT: Evilution you will enjoy Fragport.

Aside from that, i second Kama Sutra it have some nice city-like maps, nothing too big, but they are pretty good.

Also, HACX have some nice city maps and is perfectly vanilla. Plutonia have the godly for some, intolerable for others, map29: Odyssey of Sounds, a city map pretty big and non linear. The rebirth have have a nice underground city map, and maybe other citylike as i don't remmeber much. Demonfear have some city-like, and Revolution! (TVR) also have some.
Dark Covenant by Keith Phipps are 12 level wad that start with a lot of city-like maps. They are somewhat strange at first, and a little puzzley, but pretty good. Check it out.
STRAIN if i rememeber right, have some city-like maps, too.

On 3/20/2020 at 8:21 PM, galileo31dos01 said:

Yea, requires a limit-removing port. The maps only use vanilla actions, no boom or zdoom specials so that's why I pair it with other vanilla-in-essence megawads.

Its vanilla in esscence, but maybe he want vanilla mapset to play them in chocolate or in doom2.exe.
So Hellbound its not compatible at those ends :/

Edited by P41R47