Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AtimZarr1

You can play custom WADs in Doom Eternal's retro computer

Gotta admit that I like little touches like that. There was absolutely no reason to include such a feature, but the developers did it anyway.

18 minutes ago, NoXion said:

Gotta admit that I like little touches like that. There was absolutely no reason to include such a feature, but the developers did it anyway.

I’ve got to say they really went above and beyond. The passion and determination really shows! It’s like how they scrapped the original Doom 4 and restarted the project because they knew they could do better.

Some versions of the game have the IWADs separately on disk under base\classicwads\

But at least the one I've seen doesn't (might have them inside the resources/streamdb files instead, and those are protected so it's not trivial to swap WADs).

Btw. the builtin "source port" has level name string arrays for all of: Final Doom, Master Levels and No Rest for the Living maps too! I think the versions which have the WADs separately only have DOOM.WAD and DOOM2.WAD included though? (haven't seen it myself yet so can't be sure, but my understanding is only Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 are available as easter eggs from the main game)

edit: ahh seems that these were already in the version that is included with the Doom 3 BFG Edition sources.

Also no visplane overflow error messages to be found anywhere, need to check the code if it's truly been updated to have no static limits.

Edited by xttl

49 minutes ago, xttl said:

Some versions of the game have the IWADs separately on disk under base\classicwads\

But at least the one I've seen doesn't (might have them inside the resources/streamdb files instead, and those are protected so it's not trivial to swap WADs).

Btw. the builtin "source port" has level name string arrays for all of: Final Doom, Master Levels and No Rest for the Living maps too! I think the versions which have the WADs separately only have DOOM.WAD and DOOM2.WAD included though? (haven't seen it myself yet so can't be sure, but my understanding is only Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 are available as easter eggs from the main game)

edit: ahh seems that these were already in the version that is included with the Doom 3 BFG Edition sources.

Also no visplane overflow error messages to be found anywhere, need to check the code if it's truly been updated to have no static limits.

If you are checking the BFG source then no, they haven't. They just raised some limits just and only to play No Rest For The Living.

I am checking DOOMEternalx64vk.exe. :-)

But yeah, it's just been compiled without RANGECHECK so the error messages aren't there. The exact visplane limit also seems to be the same as in D3BFG (384), just found R_FindPlane in the binary. Probably all the rest of the limits are also the same as in D3BFG then...

So you could play Eternal Doom in Doom Eternal.

I am scared, to be honest.

Edit: whoops, Double post. Thanks mobile.

Edited by Redneckerz

4 hours ago, MadGuy said:

If you are checking the BFG source then no, they haven't. They just raised some limits just and only to play No Rest For The Living.

@xttl released an exe hack years ago just to play nrftl. The same with Sigil, though Sigexe raised limits aswell.

Then there was F2DoomP or something (search is borked atm) IDAnthology Final Doom exe with raised limits. Sadly that download link is defunct now.

So as you can tell, xttl is no stranger to this realm of things :)

Edited by Redneckerz

Well if the engine version is 111 (1.11) then it is the D3BFG engine (with some changes of course)