Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GoneAway

Misc heretic & hexen demos

I like both! Nice demos and very fast action. I see turning work almost well for you or not?
Map itself is interesting and fun, I somehow missed her completely, produces unstoppable Tome'd rush gameplay, I like that.

I did it just to keep company, you can easily beat this time, if you want :)
SM Max in 4:47

Emba447m.zip

I continue with Emerald Bathhouse, map is good:
NoMo100S in 1:01
BP Max in 5:23
vanilla format

I could not beat your NoMo time, although I tried very hard, record NoMo100S, heh
For the future, you can look at maps by ETTiNGRiNDER (good maps, but you will count each crossbow arrow), also maps by Ken Phipps is good. I will remember later what else, if need.

Emba101o.zip

Emba523f.zip

That would be good if you pointed out that the map is good in your opinion, because sometimes I like record first attempts demos, just for myself. Decided to try for this Grendel map and for half an hour I could not solve this puzzle with crushers, I could not understand what the map author wants from me, threw it, heh

Found some of my old for Heretic.
HUMP mini project

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/heretic/g-i/humpmini

map E2M9 Praevus Smeltery:
SM Max in 11:39

Tyrant's Tomb by ETTiNGRiNDER:

http://ettingrinder.youfailit.net/heretic-levels/tyrant.7z

NoMo in 1:25
SM Speed in 1:45
BP Speed in 2:11
Pacifist in 1:52
SM Max in 17:35
vanilla format

Also, I have Pacifist in 2:11 from another player for this map, but I don’t know - reposting his demo here will be correct?
Hmin1139.zip

Tyrant-PVS.zip

Edited by PVS

I'm not sure exactly what the intended strategy is for grendel. My guess was that you're supposed to pick up all the health items and then dive into the teeth when there's an opening. You could then survive the crush by using all the health items? The map was a bit confusing but also quite unique and charming in a way.

As far as posting old demos from other players that you happen to have: that's great!

To the Grendel account, I also thought that need to eat health quickly while this wall crushes you, but didn’t pass in any way. Of course, after I playback your demo and realized what needed to be done, but I don’t even know how to guess about it without looking at the editor, for the first attempt this is impossible, otherwise there is no point in it :)

Tyrant's Tomb by ETTiNGRiNDER:
Pacifist in 2:11 by galileo31dos01
vanilla format

Tyr211p.zip

GULAG

E1M1 NoMo in 2:15 (sloppy run to show off trick / route)

E1M4 Pacifist in 1:20

This wad is really cool, especially considering it's from '97. It's a bit confusing at times, and unfortunately only balanced for continuous (weapons are missing in later maps), but worth a look.

g1l1o215.zip

g1l4p120.zip

Yes, Gulag is interesting old wad, I looked your demos and I remember this ship from map 4. Exactly for such wads as Gulag, Shadowcaster and others, that are not good optimized to start each map from the beginning, I realized for myself the ability to correctly record/playback demos from save game, possible record whole adventures series for such wads, without modifying the maps themselves. In NoMo fun you stole the green key, I see you also like to seep through the bars, heh

I remembered another good wad: The Master's Domain, very good episode from 1997, recommend for the future.

Stroller Heretic? I never heard, read the rules, strafe not allowed, but I looked your demo and see - running is also not allowed? hm, what's interesting in this category... only here is one moment - Heretic engine does not know anything about -turbo parameter, it simply is not there :)

On this last, meat HELL HOUSE map - you leave max'es to me? heh Ok, I tried and guess what I found here - MAXSPECIALCROSS/SPECHIT limit! Only talked about him a couple of days ago - and get a new one, this is already the fifth Heretic map where I see this problem, this is bad, possible record desync demos on ports, which do not contain solutions for this limit. I recommend that you take the latest Crispy Heretic 5.7.2 version that fabian left in Heretic topic, otherwise if you try to playback these Max demos on 5.7.1 - they may go in desync or even a crash. If you will check on 5.7.2 - let me know that they work fine there, I myself can’t check it.

Hell House by Dan Reames
SM Max in 2:11
BP Max in 1:57
NM Speed in 8.94

It would be nice if you re-record NM Speed, I couldn't reach your 7 seconds, I'm a turtle speedruner, I know.

Hlhs211m.zip

Hlhs157f.zip

Hlhs894n.zip

Edited by PVS

Sorry to put a question here. I have been looking around in Crispy Doom 5.7.2 github page, and I can't find the latest version of Crispy Heretic. Somehow I had a Crispy Heretic 5.2 in my folder and I didn't even remember where I downloaded that. Do you mind some hints about where I can get the latest Crispy Heretic? Thanks.

I believe there aren't "official" builds for heretic now. You'll either need to build it yourself or get a build for your platform from someone else.

3 hours ago, kraflab said:

I believe there aren't "official" builds for heretic now. You'll either need to build it yourself or get a build for your platform from someone else.

Thanks for the answer. I should look for building tutorial like this?

https://github.com/processing/processing/wiki/Build-Instructions

Then I should build it using Crispy Doom 5.7.2? Sorry for a lot of questions. I kind of want a good sourceport to play Heretic.

If you're running Linux I can help you out with building it from source. If you're running another platform then I can't help out too much. Which one do you need?

2 hours ago, kraflab said:

If you're running Linux I can help you out with building it from source. If you're running another platform then I can't help out too much. Which one do you need?

I'm running Windows 7.

GarrettChan
As an option, you can take Crispy Heretic 5.7.2 exe from here:
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/2096127
Place this exe in the main Crispy Doom 5.7.2 folder, and try to run it. For setup Heretic possible try rename Doom setup program to 'crispy-heretic-setup' or simply 'crispy-setup'. I myself can’t check it on old Windows, so it’s just a theory, try this, you won’t lose much time.

kraflab
It turns out, I recommended you exe for Linux, heh, my oversight.

Hell House by Dan Reames:
Tyson in 3:39

Emerald Bathhouse by MorbidBrute:
Tyson in 5:10
vanilla format

Hlhs339t.zip

Emba510t.zip

I don’t know what you found interesting in this wad, E3M1: average size, but 7 monsters and 100 artifacts! he-he, what is it? I suppose that the map author is training here to create secret sectors, he stamped them here 10, probably he had fun from this, but there’s one interesting area on the map, yes. On the other maps the same thing - 3 monsters, a lot of weapons and artifacts, i.e. this is not for the single game at all, in my opinion.

2 seconds demo, hm... I loaded it into vvHeretic and playback on 10% speed, but I don’t see anything here, you just run in a straight line, where should I look? heh. Tyson I like, because Staff+Tome combination is very rare for me, I almost never see it in the game, and here you do it on purpose, it’s interesting to see. There’s also a funny moment when you attack Maulotaur with it, see for yourself - where does Staff strike him? I see, that between the legs, oh, poor bull. Also, Gauntlets vs Maulotaur is funny combination, because we vampired life from Maulotaur and again from this intimate place, thanks Raven's for that, but it's fun, I agree:

HotMaulotaur.png.48c3ab606c30edd4df4befc5622b5971.png

Maybe, when you look at new maps - you could record first attempt demos? I like such non-high-speed records, but if you not interested in it - not need, of course.

I don't generally "play" the maps normally - more likely I start evaluating for making demos later from the getgo, so I don't plan on doing any first attempt demos. As far as what I specifically like about the wad, it just seems very whimsical and reminds me of early mappers just experimenting and adding lots of stuff, which it most likely was.

Next session? I am pleased. I see you're flying good already, no? heh
I hope you remember that Heretic will not respawn monsters on skill-5, most likely you recorded NM 100S without -respawn.

Heretic: 75 monsters by Walter confetti:
https://www.doomworld.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=84656
NoMo 100S in 1:06.54
vanilla format

Map taken from this topic:
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/114064-75-monsters-map-for-heretic/

I recorded this small attempt with only one purpose - so that this nice little map is not lost in history, in this forum. I'm not sure that Walter will upload it in any wad-base, and now, this map will be grab in DSDA database and we will keep it in this way. I don’t even know why guys in 'WADs & Mods' section will not create a separate small topic for Heretic/Hexen maps, their quantity is small and it’s very difficult to find among tons of work for Doom.

75m4o106.zip

Ohhh you're right, I forgot to put -respawn on 😕

Luckily nothing dies in these runs to begin with.

Hexen: Mage's Hub-1 skill-4 movies:
speed in 19:32
max in 55:01
vanilla format

Hub-1 possible finish in 1 minute, I know, these my demos without tricks and I'm not sure - such demos are needed or not? Also, it would be nice to talk about the max rules for Hexen, if anyone is interested I set out my version in txt. I assume that chocolate currently does not support these demos, if anyone wants to watch them - DOS Hexen-Plus or CHexen are recommended.

DSDA: this Hexen demos by Andrey Budko recorded on skill-1, not on skill-4:

https://dsdarchive.com/files/demos/hexen/760/se1f-524.zip

https://dsdarchive.com/files/demos/hexen/761/se1f-544.zip
se1m1932.zip

me1m5501.zip