Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Egg Boy

How would you rank the Doom series from easiest to hardest?

After I finished Doom Eternal, I was thinking about where it ranked in terms of difficulty among its brethren, so I concocted this quick list of what I think the easiest and hardest Doom games are. So, here goes:

Easiest -> Hardest

1. Doom (the original episodes)

2. Doom 3

3. Doom 2

4. Doom 64

5. TNT: Evilution

6. DOOM (2016)

7. Thy Flesh Consumed (2016 and Thy Flesh consumed are interchangeable, both have brutal beginnings but strangely get easier as they go on)

8. Doom Eternal

9. The Plutonia Experiment

1. Doom episodes 1-3

2. TNT

3. Doom 2

4. Doom 2016

5. Thy flesh consumed

6. Plutonia and Doom Eternal

Unlisted stuff I haven't played yet

Doom 1 - Doom 2 - Doom RPG - Doom 1/Thy Flesh Consumed - Doom 1/Sigil - Doom 64 - TNT/Doom 4 (I found those both easy enough) - Doom Eternal - Plutonia Experiment.

From what I've played, haven't had a chance to play the newer ones:

-Doom 1.

-Doom RPG.

-Doom II RPG.

-Doom 2.

-TNT. (Only played it like once so maybe that changes things)

-Doom 64.

-Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil.

-Doom 3.

-Thy flesh consumed.

-Plutonia.

I'll skip the ones I haven't played:
1. Doom 1

2. Doom 2

3. Doom 3

4. TNT

5. Doom 3: ROE

6. The Ultimate Doom (only ep. 4 of course)

7. Plutonia (or Doom 64 with mouse and keyboard)

8. Doom 64 (with N64 pad, or Plutonia with KB&M)

7 minutes ago, -TDRR- said:

I'll skip the ones I haven't played:
1. Doom 1

2. Doom 2

3. Doom 3

4. TNT

5. Doom 3: ROE

6. The Ultimate Doom (only ep. 4 of course)

7. Plutonia (or Doom 64 with mouse and keyboard)

8. Doom 64 (with N64 pad, or Plutonia with KB&M)

Boy, Doom 64 is ranked REALLY high. I've never played it with a controller, but the game itself is pretty fresh in my mind since I just beat the Steam port today. In my opinion its on par with Doom 2 for the most part. I ranked it higher because there are a few maps with inescapable death traps.

10 minutes ago, Egg Boy said:

Boy, Doom 64 is ranked REALLY high. I've never played it with a controller, but the game itself is pretty fresh in my mind since I just beat the Steam port today. In my opinion its on par with Doom 2 for the most part. I ranked it higher because there are a few maps with inescapable death traps.

Not for little reason, playing Doom 64 with the original gamepad is absolutely nightmarish, more so on the highest difficulty, which i foolishly chose to play through the entire game. It's a world of difference with the speed and precision you get with a mouse, the difficulty is not even remotely comparable IMO.

Too lazy to make a list of easiest-hardest, but I will say the one that has annoyed me the most was Doom 2: Master Levels.  I don't like puzzle based maps.  I'm a full on action oriented guy.

On a side note, I'm kinda surprised so many players here have listed Plutonia as their hardest Doom game because I remember so many players here talking about how Plutonia isn't as hard as people made it out to be.  Maybe some folks just really love unfairly placed chaingunners that spam the whole map. :D

10 minutes ago, Maser said:

Too lazy to make a list of easiest-hardest, but I will say the one that has annoyed me the most was Doom 2: Master Levels.  I don't like puzzle based maps.  I'm a full on action oriented guy.

On a side note, I'm kinda surprised so many players here have listed Plutonia as their hardest Doom game because I remember so many players here talking about how Plutonia isn't as hard as people made it out to be.  Maybe some folks just really love unfairly placed chaingunners that spam the whole map. :D

Hard =/= unfair. Its easily the hardest Doom game, that's for certain, but compared to our modern sensibilities on what a difficult Doom wad is, its not so bad.

Doom Eternal seems like the hardest, but that’s probably because I’ve spent more than two decades getting really good at Doom/Doom 2/Final Doom/etc.

My ranking is as follows:

1. Doom 3

2. Doom 

3. Doom 2

4. Doom 64

5. Doom 2016

6. TNT

7. Plutonia

8. Doom Eternal

From easiest to hardest for me:

1. Doom 3
  2. Doom 3 The Lost Mission
  3. Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil
  4. Doom
  5. Doom 2
  6. TNT
  7. Doom 2016
  8. Plutonia

I have not yet fully played 64, I didn’t get around to doing it, and I have not played the RPG games or Eternal.

What difficulties have people been playing on though? Because I've been playing D3 on it's version of UV and its not so much a breeze,  Z-Sec's can do one,  they're more dangerous than the freaking demons 😱

On Marine, It's definitely tougher on Veteran but I feel like I've memorized the levels enough that they no longer feel very tough to me even on Veteran, took some getting used to. Vagary Boss fight is a real pain on veteran difficulty though.

Mine would be (from easiest to most difficult):

1. A '90s Doom port a la PSX Doom, 3DO, SNES, GBA, 32X.

2. Ultimate Doom.

3. Doom 2 + Master Levels.

4. TNT.

5. Doom 64.

6. No Rest for the Living.

7. Sigil.

8. Plutonia.

9. Doom 3.

10. Doom 2016.

11. Doom Eternal.

8 minutes ago, seed said:

10. Doom 2016.

11. Doom Eternal.

Huh, I thought you said didn't play these two :P

23 minutes ago, sluggard said:

Huh, I thought you said didn't play these two :P

I did play 2016, though not completely finished it.

With Eternal, that's based only on let's plays on the same difficulty, but it doesn't take a genius to see which one is more difficult...

Just now, seed said:

With Eternal, that's based only on let's plays on the same difficulty, but it doesn't take a genius to see which one is more difficult...

Easy there, I was just asking.

Just now, sluggard said:

Easy there, I was just asking.

...why exactly was that taken as rude to begin with?

Seriously, it looks like you're getting the tone of my posts very wrong these days, almost everything I say is taken the wrong way :p .

1 minute ago, seed said:

Seriously, it looks like you're getting the tone of my posts very wrong these days, almost everything I say is taken the wrong way :p .

Just this part in particular :P

4 minutes ago, seed said:

but it doesn't take a genius to see which one is more difficult...

1. Doom 3 (I don't even know where I died that didn't involve bullshit full darkness + fucking spiders out of nowhere, more of dumb shit than the game being difficult). And once you discover crouching dodges the stupid tentacle commandos there isn't much threat. Z-SEC almost disappear past the midgame and projectile monsters are pretty stupid.

2. Ultimate Doom except E4M2 and E4M6

3. Doom2

4. TNT\DooM 16

5. E4M2 and E4M6\Plutonia

6. Eternal, Even without challenge mode and slayer gates.

7. Doom 64 just because I never could bother finishing it :p

Assuming pistol starts in the older games, otherwise throw them in position 1 and plutonia in 2.

I'm not going to list DooM 5/DooM Eternal since I've yet to play it and I've not played enough of 64 to fully place it on the list. This however is a mock-up list with separate episodes for DooM 1.

1 - DooM Episode 1 [Knee Deep In The Dead]

2 - DooM Episode 3 [Inferno]

3 - DooM Episode 2 [Shores of Hell]

4 - DooM 3

5 - DooM II: Hell on Earth

6 - Final DooM [TNT Evilution]

7 - Ultimate DooM [Thy Flesh Consumed]

8 - Final DooM [Plutonia Experiment]

9 - DooM 4

1: Doom 1-3 (3 slightly higher because screw E3M2 with that ammo shortage).

2: Doom 3 (Chaingun Commandos forced it higher, they do way too much for being a bit too common in Delta)

3: Doom 2 (Last half is fairly brutal with the enemies they decide to spawn).

4: Doom 64 (really wasn't going to be higher, then they placed a boatload of arachnos at the later levels.... I hate arachnos)

5: TNT Evilution (Not a fan of it personally, but the challenge is a bit decent. Otherwise fairly boring megawad)

6: Thy Flesh Consumed (E4M1, E4M2.... nuff said)

7: Doom 2016 (Ok, normally it really shouldn't be this high but I died way too much to the Hell Guards and I played the game without figuring out the SSG and the Gauss Cannon at the time.)

8: Plutonia (Archviles.... Archviles everywhere)

9: Doom eternal (Holy those slayer gates are brutal, not to mention those Marauders and Archviles really force your attention as they can seriously mess you up.)

Personally, it's:

1: Doom 3 & Expansions - Excluding a few encounters that are tricky, Doom 3 is no challenge, even on veteran.

2: Knee-Deep in the Dead - Overall, a fantastic intro to the series. Easy, concise, to the point.

3: Inferno - Slightly harder, but just really forgettable. Except for E3M2 and E3M6, overall very easy.

4: Shores of Hell - Large maps, more enemies, and overall higher difficulty. Not much to say. E2M5 in particular... Just... Ouch.

5: Doom 2 - Longer and generally more difficult than Doom 1. My personal favorite game ever, though!

6: No Rest for the Living - The sadly often forgotten expansion. Quite fun. Map 08 is a real challenge for me.

7: TNT - Mostly easy and rather boring. But FUCK MAP 27. The worst and hardest officially released Doom map.

8: Doom 64 & Lost Levels - Rather tough, but really enjoyable. Perfect for those who don't want a game as punishing as Plutonia.

9: Thy Flesh Consumed - E4M1, E4M2, and E4M6... Just... No...

10: Doom 2016 - Very tough, but very fair.

11: Sigil - The most fair and balanced episode in the series, also the hardest.

12: Plutonia - Fucking. Insane. I personally think it gets WAY to hard at some points, and I just don't like some things about it. But this is really fun at a lot of points.

(I haven't played eternal yet.)

Have not finished Eternal yet (level 12 out of 13 right now) and not only it is the hardest game but I think it is the most satisfying as well.

2 hours ago, Aku said:

People ignoring sigil here

They are also ignoring all other custom, inofficial maps. Shocker.

3 hours ago, Aku said:

People ignoring sigil here

I didn't use Sigil in my list because its not an official Id Software title. Romero making it does not automatically make it part of the Doom canon in my opinion. You can think what you want, but everyone's entitled to their own list and subsequently their own idea of what counts in the Doom canon. However, if you're wondering where I'd rank it, probably just below Doom Eternal.