Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GooberMan

GooberMan = working at a gamedev studio

Went for an interview at a Brisbane game dev studio today, Krome Studios. It was a pretty informal interview, but it went rather well. The guy who was interviewing me gave me the impression that I had a pretty good chance at getting a job there, and at 4pm this afternoon they rang back and said I start on Monday.

Would you believe the guy who was interviewing me (one of their engine department's lead programmers - bit of a story behind why there's two) got addicted to Worms In Tanks? :P

So yeah, come Monday I'll be in a full time game development role. Since I'm working in the engine department, I'll be able to get down and dirty with PC's, PS2's, XBox's and Gamecube's.

Woah, dude, congratulations! That's brilliant news :D

/me hugs gooberman

God damn. Way to go !

I'd like to get a job like that as well, but sadly enough I live in Belgium, a country with like two game development houses. Oh well, let's hope I get REALLY good and get a job in the UK or something.

Good luck in your job, work hard and grab all the cold, hard cash you can.

Quote from one of the Worms in tanks-threads:

Disorder said:

What if GooberMan were to be the next John Carmack? OMG!!

See!! Told you!

You lucky bastard. Best of luck in your job. keep us informed.

/me looks at the Krome website

Uhh..... make sure they don't make any crappy games. At least TRY.

good luck bud... :)
what types of games are you gonna make?

heh, you stole my wish job. Well, let us see what happes in the future...

GooberMan said:

Went for an interview at a Brisbane game dev studio today, Krome Studios. It was a pretty informal interview, but it went rather well. The guy who was interviewing me gave me the impression that I had a pretty good chance at getting a job there, and at 4pm this afternoon they rang back and said I start on Monday.

Would you believe the guy who was interviewing me (one of their engine department's lead programmers - bit of a story behind why there's two) got addicted to Worms In Tanks? :P

So yeah, come Monday I'll be in a full time game development role. Since I'm working in the engine department, I'll be able to get down and dirty with PC's, PS2's, XBox's and Gamecube's.

So does that mean you wont work on doom arcade?

Someone else doing what I want to do with my freakin' life. Good luck Gooberman.

It occurs to me that many of you want to be game deigners. WHY NOT JUST GET TOGETHER AND OPEN YOUR OWN COMPANY?!

Submerge said:

It occurs to me that many of you want to be game deigners. WHY NOT JUST GET TOGETHER AND OPEN YOUR OWN COMPANY?!

Yeah, I need to learn programming first, at the high class languages, but I think I am too lazy, so I think it will stay as a hobby.

And to the others, what kind of the game designing do you want to work with, programming, art, what?

Torn said:

And to the others, what kind of the game designing do you want to work with, programming, art, what?

I kinda want to be the story writer for a game, but I mostly want to work in the art department of game designing. I want to design levels, enemies, and weapons for either an FPS game or a platformer style game like Metal Slug! It be nice if I can be the head game designer for the people that made Metal Slug. I have SO many different ideas I can put into Metal Slug from Lizard Squad(c)! Hell, it be even cooler if they decided to make Lizard Squad(c) altogether!!! Other than Doom and the MegaMan Series, Metal Slug is pretty much the main reason why I want to be a game designer. That game also inspired me to make up Lizard Squad(c) to!

Submerge said:

You have no idea how much I've thought of doing that. Unfortunately, start ups have very little chance of surviving up to the first game and then past it. Most die within the first 12 months. It would have been great to do so, but it's preferable if you get some experience in a company first. Even then you still have the same chances of survival, but at least you have an idea of how to go about things.

I'm still working on Doom Arcade and Space Station Omega (in fact I might have more time to do so since I'm not working my ass off getting demos together and learning 3D and stuff). I'm slating Space Station Omega to be released by two /newstuff's time.

Everyone else, thanks :)