Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RonnieJamesDiner

Tartarus (UDMF / OTEX map for GZDoom) Now on /idgames!

12 minutes ago, adamadam said:

I think I also picked up a bfg before reaching the blue-key arena - earlier in the thread it was mentioned that weapon grab was a trigger?  Maybe I actually grabbed the bfg from that platform after killing the spider mastermind?

Oh no... I think that's what it is. I'm looking right now and yeah, the BFG still has the arena script attached to it. So there are technically two activations for that script. Yikes! You've been extremely helpful, thank you :)

That awkward moment when you jump the gun on an /idgame submission. Oof.

I just quick ran through the level beginning again in god mode, and having the bfg prior to the blue-key fight indeed caused the center blood circle to shoot up when I picked up the bfg there - and I also had the glitch with the floors down below.

As for the platform the blue-key was on, I'm remembering more of my playthrough, after I killed the spider mastermind, and then when the enemies in the center re-re-animated & the blood circle shot upwards, a second spider mastermind did appear on the arena platform.  I'm guessing it's dead body may have been close enough to the center to be re-animated? - then I'm thinking when I killed it a second time the platform with the blue-key was lowered further down?

Edited by adamadam

5 hours ago, adamadam said:

As for the platform the blue-key was on, I'm remembering more of my playthrough, after I killed the spider mastermind, and then when the enemies in the center re-re-animated & the blood circle shot upwards, a second spider mastermind did appear on the arena platform.  I'm guessing it's dead body may have been close enough to the center to be re-animated? - then I'm thinking when I killed it a second time the platform with the blue-key was lowered further down?

Yeah, this makes sense now. The fight is just getting activated twice because of the BFG and the other linedef trigger, and these are the unfortunate results. I think I never noticed because I was triggering the linedef and grabbing the BFG almost simultaneously, so the overlapping parts of the script weren't able to fire off twice (such as the spawning of the second Mastermind, since the first one is still standing in the way). I'm kind of blown away that I never actually managed to find this (not to mention the fact that I completely forgot to remove the script from the BFG the first time this caused a problem), but I really appreciate it! You've been a saint :D 

strange things may happen in Hell. just pretend that it supposed to break if the player doesn't follow The Rules.

17 hours ago, ketmar said:

strange things may happen in Hell. just pretend that it supposed to break if the player doesn't follow The Rules.

This is basically the thought I'm going with for now, haha. I will get the map updated soon though :P

15 hours ago, guitardz said:

Dang, how am I just now seeing this?  Gonna download and play through this ASAP.

Best of luck, sir!

32 minutes ago, loveless said:

looks sick

Thank you :D

I made it to the final 3 key door encounter, lol.  The previous fights did not prepare me for that.  Up to that point I can say the map looks amazing and had some very solid combat encounters.  I highly enjoyed it, maybe one day I'll finish the last fight, lol.

29 minutes ago, guitardz said:

I made it to the final 3 key door encounter, lol.  The previous fights did not prepare me for that.  Up to that point I can say the map looks amazing and had some very solid combat encounters.  I highly enjoyed it, maybe one day I'll finish the last fight, lol.

Yeahh that last one is a tad spicy. It just didn't feel like proper Hell without a serious AV smackdown, lol. Glad to hear you enjoyed the rest of the map, though. Cheers :D 

I finally ended it after dying 6 or 7 times lol ( always due to the Archies grrr )

I enjoyed the run and it was hard enough, but not too much so it's not a die and retry experience ;) 

The visuals of the map and the design are incredibles, loved the spirit of it !!

Pro mapping, 9.5/10 ( perfection does not exist right ? )

Pls do more of this :D

17 minutes ago, Flowpepo said:

Pro mapping, 9.5/10 ( perfection does not exist right ? )

I really wouldn't go that far, but I appreciate the sentiment. Happy to hear you enjoyed the map so much, and that the difficulty struck a decent balance for you (perhaps excluding the finale). Thanks for checking it out!  

Has anyone tried this with Brutal Doom? On my end, Brutal Doom seems to not allow a specific enemy to spawn, stopping me from continuing the level. It's near the beginning, when that cluster of zombiemen shoot at you, and the enemy spawns on the blood pillar.

1 hour ago, Akenore said:

Has anyone tried this with Brutal Doom? On my end, Brutal Doom seems to not allow a specific enemy to spawn, stopping me from continuing the level. It's near the beginning, when that cluster of zombiemen shoot at you, and the enemy spawns on the blood pillar.

Well, I can tell you that I've never played Brutal Doom before, and that the map was in no way tested/intended to be compatible with the mod. The enemy in question (that spawns on the blood pillar), is an Archvile, so unless BD does not have an Archvile (or replaces it with a custom version), I'm not sure what the problem would be. The AV is spawned in if I'm remembering correctly right now, rather than teleporting from a closet. 

I suppose I should specify that the map isn't compatible with Brutal Doom in the OP. Thanks for trying it though, sorry it doesn't work for you. 

Thanks for the playthrough @Steve88, that was fun to watch. I must say, kudos to your determination! The optional dual Cyberdemon fight looked rough, haha. The more I watch these, the more I realize I could've done a lot better with progression and connecting things (I especially cringe at the upper path to the blue key now, watching people fall and have to go all the way around and back up again). Good learning lessons for the future. I appreciate the video, cheers! 

@RonnieJamesDiner

I quite like the blue key path XD, and the only thing i find odd is the 2 yellow keys. Just my 2 cents, the fight the gets you the BFG is its own reward, i don't think you need to put the yellow key there. As it is, its probably one of my favorite levels that i've played.

So @Gougaru was like

image.png

I think he's your biggest fan lol - but glad he showed me - just some Canadian bros hanging out - last fight scary but doable - over all fun - non liniar - love red - big chains cool - all good words but g2g - but kudos man - I am glad this was shown to me- have a good 1!!

Edited by Clippy