Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

8 hours ago, Alper002 said:

Does moving the mouse to where the window usually appears right after you press the test button fix it?

I have it set to Fullscreen. I ended up putting my cursor two-thirds of the way to the right of my scree and then using the F9 shortcut.

Thanks!

17 minutes ago, Crunchynut44 said:

What does it mean when PR Boom gives me this error...

1_signalhandler: exiting on signal: signal 11

I've had this issue before. Check if any of your textures are not in the correct format (example: png rather than doom format).

Does anyone know how to fix this weird mid texture clipping issue (look at the bottom of the shadow) in PrBoom+'s software renderer? In OpenGL (GlBoom+) it looks fine...

gl.jpg

sof.jpg

On 3/20/2020 at 12:20 AM, phoo said:

I've had this issue before. Check if any of your textures are not in the correct format (example: png rather than doom format).

Everythings definetely in the Doom format, I think it has something to do with how ive imported the textures because if I delete them all the Wad runs fine, cant for the life of my figure it out though. Still having the issue

1 minute ago, Crunchynut44 said:

Everythings definetely in the Doom format, I think it has something to do with how ive imported the textures because if I delete them all the Wad runs fine, cant for the life of my figure it out though. Still having the issue

Hmm, that is really odd. Maybe something with the TEXTUREx or PNAMES lump is messed up?

1 hour ago, phoo said:

Hmm, that is really odd. Maybe something with the TEXTUREx or PNAMES lump is messed up?

Yeah it is, but I dont know what specifically.

EDIT: problem solved, thanks for the help @phoo

Edited by Crunchynut44

7 minutes ago, Crunchynut44 said:

Yeah it is, but I dont know what specifically.

Hmm, that really depends. Maybe the indexes in the different lumps don't match up (example: some textures are in pnames but not texturex, or are out of place), or something else, I'm really not sure. I've gotten a lot of grief from the those lumps in the past, to the point that I just deleted and re-copied them from the doom2 iwad and then re-added my custom textures. But that may prove to be a bit of headache if you've got a lot of textures.

Yes, you will most likely have to use SLADE and DECORATE and stuff.

Do note that if you're using Hexen format or UDMF you can flag a thing as "dormant", which will make it invincible and also do nothing. However it still counts as a killable monster, because you can activate it with a "activate thing" special, which makes it squishy again. Think of the dormant flag as a "deactivated" flag.

Also could you not double post please

On Ultimate Doom Builder, is there no automap function like on GZDB? I ask because UDB has pretty much all the other capabilities and such, it just runs much better so I prefer it over GZDB. I've never been able to find the automap mode on it though, which is a shame because I tend to use that function a lot.

Two questions about polyobjects in UDMF maps:

First, I don't understand the purpose of Polyobj_ExplicitLine: http://eternity.youfailit.net/wiki/Polyobject#Method_2:_The_Polyobj_ExplicitLine_Special

The Polyobj_ExplicitLine(linedef_tag, linedef_tag, mirror_id) special demarcates every line that will be added to a PolyObject and the exact order in which the lines will be added. This affords a bit more flexibility in the construction of PolyObjects at the price of not allowing any other line specials to be placed on the object itself.

This says I can decide the order in which lines are added to a polyobject, but doesn't say why I would ever need to do a thing like that.

The ZDoom wiki has even less information: https://zdoom.org/wiki/Polyobj_ExplicitLine

But as far as I've seen, a polyobject is always fully spawned the moment you start a map. I've never seen one load line-by-line, or a situation where that should make a difference. So why would I use Polyobj_ExplicitLine instead of the standard Polyobj_StartLine?

Second, how do you set polyobjects to go into motion automatically when the player starts a map? Every line special relating to polyobject movement is a trigger line requiring some manner of activation.

Actually, that may as well be a general UDMF question - the format allows for all manner of activating trigger lines, but is there any way to just have a line automatically activate as soon as the map loads?

Non-scripted solutions are preferable, but I'll work with a script if necessary.

On 3/22/2020 at 11:50 AM, Alper002 said:

Also could you not double post please

Agree.

(Merged.)

10 hours ago, Lüt said:

But as far as I've seen, a polyobject is always fully spawned the moment you start a map. I've never seen one load line-by-line, or a situation where that should make a difference. So why would I use Polyobj_ExplicitLine instead of the standard Polyobj_StartLine?

According to https://zdoom.org/wiki/PolyObjects (scroll down to "Creating advanced polyobjects"), Polyobj_Explicitline is for when you use two-sided linedefs with your polyobjects, rather than a void.

10 hours ago, Lüt said:

Actually, that may as well be a general UDMF question - the format allows for all manner of activating trigger lines, but is there any way to just have a line automatically activate as soon as the map loads?

UDMF can do voodoo doll stuff, since it supports conveyors. However, an ACS script is way simpler and requires making less map geometry:

#include "zcommon.acs"

script 1 OPEN //Having an ACS script with the OPEN keyword makes the script occur when the map loads.
{
	Polyobj_move(1, 64, 128, 256); //Moves the first polyobject 256 units west at speed 64.
}

If you just want to activate line actions you can look at this page and use the actions as functions in ACS, but do also look here for fancy script control and some neat functions that can't be used as line actions (like for example changing the textures and actions on lines!).

13 hours ago, Lüt said:

Polyobj_ExplicitLine

If you have a polyobject that isn't box-shaped. For normal polyobjects you can trace its linedefs from the startline and only have 1 way forward until you end back to the startline.  When your polyobject is more complex with its linedefs branching out, you'll use Polyobj_ExplicitLine. Usually this is the case with polyobjects made up from 2s linedefs.

The order of lines added doesn't seem to matter much now. Used to be a bigger deal when polyobjects were still limited in scope and tended to glitch.

how do you set polyobjects to go into motion automatically when the player starts a map

That would be scripting. Or voodoo doll conveyors, if ACS still scares you. That goes for all things you want to automatically start without player input.

Can someone make me a simple script that indefinitely ActorMoves an object back and forth between two interpolation points?

Is it also possible to move objects up and down between two points instead of just making them floatbob?

I have some hazards that kill on contact but right now they are stationary.

SOLVED my own problem.

I just used a script to Thing_Activate my ActorMover and set the second interpolation point to go back to the first.

I'm guessing if my interpolation points are at different heights the object would move up and down.

Screenshot_Doom_20200323_211737.png

Edited by Spicy Cacodemon : Solved

4 hours ago, Alper002 said:

According to https://zdoom.org/wiki/PolyObjects (scroll down to "Creating advanced polyobjects"), Polyobj_Explicitline is for when you use two-sided linedefs with your polyobjects, rather than a void.

Oh, figures. Should've looked at the general polyobjects page instead of searching out the ExplicitLine entry individually.

Alright, so, any polyobject using 2-sided lines.

I always remembered that being an impossibility (or impracticality) due to clipping issues long ago, but since UDMF offers things like midtex solidity and other forms of object/projectile blocking for 2s lines, I see that's no longer a concern.

1 hour ago, Mordeth said:

If you have a polyobject that isn't box-shaped. For normal polyobjects you can trace its linedefs from the startline and only have 1 way forward until you end back to the startline.  When your polyobject is more complex with its linedefs branching out, you'll use Polyobj_ExplicitLine. Usually this is the case with polyobjects made up from 2s linedefs.

It's odd, since I've made some rather irregularly-shaped polyobjects as tests using Polyobj_StartLine, and there didn't seem to be any rendering issues either placing them or moving them.

Maybe EE's just gotten better with that over time.

Still, I see how the automatic shape tracing becomes a concern when you have multiple lines intersecting at a single vertex. And yeah, I did like the ZDoom general page said and used "1" for the render order of all lines.

It worked fine, and now I've got this odd step contraption circling me:

ee-testing-polyexplicit-01-c.png

It's too bad that with all the methods UDMF provided to activate a line, it didn't allow for an "on start of level" option.

Anyway, appreciate the script examples and references. I'll keep these saved/bookmarked in case using them becomes inevitable.

I should also mention, my primary interest in polyobjects is using them as voodoo doll conveyor replacements. Since UDMF allows lines to be activated "when polyobject crosses," it gives much more accurate event control because polyobject movement and other level geometry movement specials use the same speed system, which makes the timing math much easier to calculate. But most importantly, I wanted a system that worked in multiplayer/DM exactly as it did in single player, and with this, I don't have to sacrifice DM support for traditional voodoo doll conveyor setups, which is why using one of those to initiate actual in-level polyobject movement defeats my purposes.

Try as I might, I can't comprehend which way texture offset counts. Particularly vertical one. Will, say 16 move it up or down? Is it different for upper and lower, pegged and unpegged?

Texture offsets are +X and +Y, unless you enter a negative value. As far as offsets are concerned, textures are drawn from left to right and top to bottom. So if you're facing a wall in the game, and its texture has offsets of X=16 and Y=24, that texture will be shifted 16 pixels to the left and 24 pixels up. Negative values will shift it rightward and down. However, since textures are repeatedly tiled, all offsets will loop around eventually, so positive or negative values don't really make a difference in achieving proper alignment.

Unpegging doesn't affect offset directions, but it does change a texture's initial vertical alignment point, so yes those settings can affect your texture alignments, but only on the Y axis.

I want to put 4 custom monsters in my Heretic wad. 2 of them work fine but the others won't show up in the thing menu (neither in monsters or decorate menus).

For the first one I don't know where to write the id number, I don't know what's wrong with the second monster.

Code for the 2 monsters:

Spoiler

ZDOOM zscript

Class Ghoul : Actor
{
  {
    Health 200;
    PainChance 24;
    Speed 9;
    Radius 24;
    Height 56;
    Mass 320;
    BloodColor "20 60 20";
    Obituary "A Ghoul poisoned %o with its toxic projectiles.";
    HitObituary "%o was beaten to death by a ghoul.";
    SeeSound "monster/ghlsit";
    PainSound "monster/ghlpai";
    DeathSound "monster/ghldth";
    ActiveSound "monster/ghlact";
    MONSTER;
    +FLOORCLIP
    +DONTHARMCLASS
  }

States
  {
  Spawn:
    GHUL AB 10 A_Look();
    Loop;
  See:
    GHUL AABBCCDD 2 A_Chase();
    Loop;
  Melee:
    GHUL E 0 A_Jump(128, "Melee2");
    GHUL E 6 A_FaceTarget();
    GHUL F 0 A_PlaySound("monster/ghlswg");
    GHUL F 6 A_FaceTarget();
    GHUL G 5 A_CustomMeleeAttack(4*random(1,8), "monster/ghlhit");
    Goto See;
  Melee2:
    GHUL R 6 A_FaceTarget();
    GHUL S 0 A_PlaySound("monster/ghlswg");
    GHUL S 6 A_FaceTarget();
    GHUL T 5 A_CustomMeleeAttack(4*random(1,8), "monster/ghlhit");
    Goto See;
  Missile:
    GHUL Q 10 A_FaceTarget();
    GHUL Q 8
    {
      A_SpawnProjectile("ToxinShot",44,-16,0,0,0);
      A_SpawnProjectile("ToxinShot",44, 16,0,0,0);
    }
    Goto See;
  Pain:
    GHUL H 2;
    GHUL H 2 A_Pain();
    Goto See;
  Death:
    GHUL I 5;
    GHUL J 0 A_SpawnProjectile("ToxinCloud",40,0,0,0,0);
    GHUL J 5 A_Scream();
    GHUL K 5;
    GHUL L 5 A_NoBlocking();
    GHUL M 5;
    GHUL N 5;
    GHUL O 5;
    GHUL P -1;
    Stop;
  Raise:
    GHUL PONMLKJI 5;
    Goto See;
  }
}

Class ToxinShot : Actor
{
  {
    Radius 5;
    Height 5;
    Speed 15;
    Damage 2;
    PoisonDamage 16;
    RENDERSTYLE "ADD";
    ALPHA 0.80;
    Seesound "weapons/skulfi";
    DeathSound "weapons/bloodx";
    PROJECTILE;
    +THRUGHOST
    +FLOATBOB
  }

States
  {
  Spawn:
    GHFX A 1 Bright A_SpawnItemEx("Barbtrail", 0,0,0, 0,0,0, 0, SXF_CLIENTSIDE);
    GHFX A 1 Bright A_CStaffMissileSlither();
    GHFX B 1 Bright A_SpawnItemEx("Barbtrail", 0,0,0, 0,0,0, 0, SXF_CLIENTSIDE);
    GHFX B 1 Bright A_CStaffMissileSlither();
    loop;
  Death:
    GHFX CDEF 4 Bright;
    stop;
  }
}

Class ToxinCloud : Actor
{
  {
    Radius 0;
    Height 48;
    RENDERSTYLE "translucent";
    ReactionTime 20;
    ALPHA 0.67;
    Seesound "weapons/poof1";
    MONSTER;
    -SOLID
    -SHOOTABLE
    -ACTIVATEMCROSS
    -COUNTKILL
    +NOTELEPORT
    +THRUGHOST
    +DROPOFF
    +LOWGRAVITY
    +NODAMAGETHRUST
  }

States
  {
  Spawn:
    GGAS ABCDEFGFD 5 A_Explode(5, 42);
    GGAS A 0 A_Countdown;
    goto Spawn+2;
  Death:
    GGAS C 5 A_FadeOut(0.10);
    GGAS C 0 A_Explode(5, 42);
    GGAS D 5 A_FadeOut(0.10);
    GGAS E 5 A_FadeOut(0.10);
    GGAS F 5 A_FadeOut(0.10);
    GGAS G 5 A_FadeOut(0.10);
    GGAS F 5 A_FadeOut(0.10);
    GGAS E 5 A_FadeOut(0.10);
    GGAS D 5 A_FadeOut(0.10);
    loop;
  }
}

Class Barbtrail : Actor
{
  {
    Radius 0;
    Height 1;
    PROJECTILE;
    RENDERSTYLE "ADD";
    ALPHA 0.75;
  }

States
  {
  Spawn:
    TNT1 A 1 Bright;
    SSFX ABCDEFGH 2 Bright;
    Stop;
  }
}

DECORATE

Actor SentientGlowingMushroom 32767
{
	//$Category Monsters
	//$Sprite GSHRB0
	//$Title "Sentient Glowing Mushroom"
	Scale 0.5
	Radius 10
	Height 24
	Health 50
	DamageFactor Poison, 0
	DamageFactor PoisonCloud, 0
	MaxTargetRange 4
	Monster
	+DONTTHRUST
	+NOTARGET
	+NOBLOOD
	+CANTSEEK
	+NOTAUTOAIMED
	DeathSound "Mushroom/Die"
	Obituary "%o's lungs were filled with poisonous spores."
	States
	{
	Spawn:
		GSHR A 1 A_Look
		Loop
	See:
		GSHR A 6 A_Chase(0,"Missile",CHF_DONTMOVE)
		Loop
	Missile:
		TNT1 A 0 A_JumpIfInventory("CloudStillNotGoneYet",1,"See")
		TNT1 A 0 A_ChangeFlag("CANTSEEK",false)
		GSHR B 4 A_ChangeFlag("NOTAUTOAIMED",false)
		GSHR CD 4
		TNT1 A 0 A_SpawnProjectile("GlowingShroomCloud",16,0,0,CMF_AIMDIRECTION,random(-15,0))
		TNT1 A 0 A_SpawnProjectile("GlowingShroomCloud",16,0,45,CMF_AIMDIRECTION,random(-15,0))
		TNT1 A 0 A_SpawnProjectile("GlowingShroomCloud",16,0,90,CMF_AIMDIRECTION,random(-15,0))
		TNT1 A 0 A_SpawnProjectile("GlowingShroomCloud",16,0,135,CMF_AIMDIRECTION,random(-15,0))
		TNT1 A 0 A_SpawnProjectile("GlowingShroomCloud",16,0,180,CMF_AIMDIRECTION,random(-15,0))
		TNT1 A 0 A_SpawnProjectile("GlowingShroomCloud",16,0,225,CMF_AIMDIRECTION,random(-15,0))
		TNT1 A 0 A_SpawnProjectile("GlowingShroomCloud",16,0,270,CMF_AIMDIRECTION,random(-15,0))
		TNT1 A 0 A_SpawnProjectile("GlowingShroomCloud",16,0,315,CMF_AIMDIRECTION,random(-15,0))
		GSHR E 8 A_PlaySound("Mushroom/Attack",0,1.0)
		GSHR DF 4
		TNT1 A 0 A_ChangeFlag("CANTSEEK",true)
		GSHR B 4 A_ChangeFlag("NOTAUTOAIMED",true)
		GSHR A 4 A_GiveInventory("CloudStillNotGoneYet")
		Goto See
	Death:
		GSHR G 4 A_ScreamandUnblock
		GSHR H 6
		TNT1 A 0 A_SpawnProjectile("GlowingShroomCloud",16,0,0,CMF_AIMDIRECTION,random(-15,0))
		TNT1 A 0 A_SpawnProjectile("GlowingShroomCloud",16,0,45,CMF_AIMDIRECTION,random(-15,0))
		TNT1 A 0 A_SpawnProjectile("GlowingShroomCloud",16,0,90,CMF_AIMDIRECTION,random(-15,0))
		TNT1 A 0 A_SpawnProjectile("GlowingShroomCloud",16,0,135,CMF_AIMDIRECTION,random(-15,0))
		TNT1 A 0 A_SpawnProjectile("GlowingShroomCloud",16,0,180,CMF_AIMDIRECTION,random(-15,0))
		TNT1 A 0 A_SpawnProjectile("GlowingShroomCloud",16,0,225,CMF_AIMDIRECTION,random(-15,0))
		TNT1 A 0 A_SpawnProjectile("GlowingShroomCloud",16,0,270,CMF_AIMDIRECTION,random(-15,0))
		TNT1 A 0 A_SpawnProjectile("GlowingShroomCloud",16,0,315,CMF_AIMDIRECTION,random(-15,0))
		GSHR I 6 A_PlaySound("Mushroom/Attack",0,1.0)
		GSHR J 6
		GSHR K -1
		Stop
	Burn:
		GSHR H 3
		GSHR L 4 Bright A_PlaySound("Mushroom/Fire",0,1.0)
		GSHR M 4 Bright A_Fall
		GSHR NOP 5 Bright
		GSHR UQR 4
		GSHR S -1
		Stop
	Ice:
		GSHR T 5 A_FreezeDeath
		GSHR T 1 A_FreezeDeathChunks
		Wait
	}
}

Actor CloudStillNotGoneYet : Powerup
{
	Inventory.ForbiddenTo "PlayerPawn"
	Powerup.Duration -5
}

Actor GlowingShroomCloud
{
	Radius 24
	Height 30
	Scale 0.8
	RenderStyle Translucent
	Alpha 0.3
	Obituary "%o's lungs were filled with poisonous spores."
	+NOBLOCKMAP
	+NOGRAVITY
	+NODAMAGETHRUST
	+DONTSPLASH
	+CANBLAST
	+BLOODLESSIMPACT
	+FORCEZERORADIUSDMG
	Speed 10
	DamageType PoisonCloud
	PoisonDamage 3
	PoisonDamageType PoisonCloud
	ReactionTime 8
	States
	{
	Spawn:
		TNT1 A 0
		SPRC C 4 A_Explode(1,24,XF_NOTMISSILE)
		TNT1 A 0 A_ScaleVelocity(0.15)
		SPRC D 4 A_Explode(1,24,XF_NOTMISSILE)
		TNT1 A 0 A_ScaleVelocity(0.15)
		TNT1 A 0 A_Jump(200, random(1,4))
		SPRC FEGHI 4 A_Explode(1,24,XF_NOTMISSILE)
		TNT1 A 0 A_ScaleVelocity(0.75)
		TNT1 A 0 A_CountDown
		Goto Spawn+6
	Death:
		SPRC HGFDC 4
		Stop
	}
}

Actor BigGlowingMushroom 32766
{
	//$Category lights
	//$Sprite GSHRA0
	//$Title "Glowing Mushroom (big)"
	Scale 0.5
	Radius 12
	Height 24
	States
	{
	Spawn:
		GSHR A -1
		Stop
	}
}

Actor GlowingMushroomSpawner : RandomSpawner 32765
{
	//$Category Monsters
	//$Sprite GSHRA0
	//$Title "Sentient Glowing Mushroom (Random)"
	Radius 12
	Height 24
	DropItem "SentientGlowingMushroom"
	DropItem "BigGlowingMushroom"
}

14 hours ago, Kappes Buur said:

Take a look at this page

Yep that works, although I need to use the Ghouls' decorate script instead of zscript for it to work (it says it can't find the corresponding actor otherwise).

Thanks!

On mardi 24 mars 2020 at 4:19 PM, Lüt said:

It's odd, since I've made some rather irregularly-shaped polyobjects as tests using Polyobj_StartLine, and there didn't seem to be any rendering issues either placing them or moving them.

Maybe EE's just gotten better with that over time.

Probably, I remember reading long ago that ExplicitLine was kinda obsolete for ZDoom now; and that should be true also for EE.

3 hours ago, Snikle said:

Does Ultimate Doom Builder not have automap mode?

Yes, it does. It comes with the plugin build-in.

Either click the icon on the left halfway down, or go to Mode and select it.

1 minute ago, Kappes Buur said:

Yes, it does. It is build-in.

Either click the icon on the left halfway down, or go to Mode and select it.

image.png.36072a8a0a5becf531a51dc58b8df4c2.png

It's not in the mode menu or halfway down the screen on mine. 

Check in F6 - Modes that it is enabled.

Spoiler

cZA7ER6.png

Once it is enabled the icon will be accessible

Spoiler

HGCyU4o.png

Edited by Kappes Buur

This isn't so much about editing maps, but editing pages on Doom Wiki. More specifically, the "things" table. I always wondered how, when a new WAD was released, someone was able to do an entire things table in no time. How do you do that? Is there some magic button in Doombuilder that lets you check how many so-and-so are in any particular level, or do you painstakingly do /kill in ZDoom or something?

Also, I remember editing Valiant Map31's thing table (it already existed, obviously) to change "Suicide Bomber" to "Super mancubus" (since the former doesn't appear at all in that map), but my edit was wiped out. It has since been properly corrected, but I don't understand why my correction was deleted, but somebody else's was a-okay.

Cheers in advance.

8 hours ago, Poncho1 said:

... I always wondered how, when a new WAD was released, someone was able to do an entire things table in no time. How do you do that?

Well, it depends.

You could use Mtrop's Thingspy, which lists all things by number but not the names, and only which things but not how many of each.

Or, in GZDoom invoke +logfile to list all actors in a map from the console with actorlist, which lists all actors by name in a map individually, so you would have to count them manually for each type.

8 hours ago, Poncho1 said:

Also, I remember editing Valiant Map31's thing table (it already existed, obviously) to change "Suicide Bomber" to "Super mancubus" (since the former doesn't appear at all in that map), but my edit was wiped out.

How does that thing table look like?

Edited by Kappes Buur