Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

The Marauder didn't seem that bad to me after following the directions

His behavior is predictable as well. After dozen encounters he just seems to always throw red laser then attack with his axe & repeat, which can be abused by doing the same motion of dodging the projectile then waiting with an SSG or rocket launcher/ballista when he comes attacking. You don't even have to dash to avoid the laser. It's pretty easy to sidestep when he shoots that red thing. If the player starts moving around the map it seems like the Marauder spawns the wolf far away, could be wrong though. 

I have yet to see the marauder and was wondering what was up with the bastard everybody is yapping about.

I just went through the first slayer gate and took a break.

Yeah he's really not so bad, you want him to come to you by getting far away so he does his sprint to attack you.  Then while he's rushing use the ssg first to "falter" him then *very* quickly swap to the Ballista to nab another hit on him like a 1+2 combo.  He dies pretty quickly if you do this.

I find the spirit wolf is taken out easily with the plasma rifle and whatever you do don't get too close to him or he will use his ssg.

The first time I fought him it took about 20 seconds tops to beat him with this ssg + ballista strategy.

Edited by STILES

He was pretty tough on the first encounter, but once you figure him out, the SSG basically just eradicates him

He's not that bad when you figure out the strategy, the difficulty arises when they throw in hordes of other enemies as well. The SSG + Ballista default fire deal with him pretty well.

I think the one encounter with him that REALLY aggravated me was when he was in a secret encounter where they expected you to kill him in 30 seconds, along with some support staff, of course. Some bullshit if you ask me.

Arbalest mastery means you can hit him twice with it each time his eyes flash. You can kill him in like 2-3 salvos after that.

he's not that bad but he's a very mean danger noodle

edit: confused the Marauder for the snake thing

Edited by BBQgiraffe

He's not all that bad. The worst that he can be is when he's paired with several heavy demons to distract you; much less so if there's a constant stream of fodder around, which gives you unlimited health and SSG ammo to deal with him. He is pretty good at forcing you to fight him, though, with all his mobility; unlike the Doomhunters which you can basically ignore in a fight until you're ready to kill them.

Actually he's a pretty cool miniboss, and of all the complaints I have about the gameplay this is the least of them. He becomes more of a problem late game when he's got company but that's to be expected right?

Same. It tells you flat out how to defeat him and when he's vulnerable. Took only two attempts.

If anybody else made this thread I'd not have batted an eye... but with Ling I have to wonder if this is an elaborate reference to the Cyberdemon protip.

I had the tutorial turned off and still got him on my first try. But the bastard did make me work for it (UV).

You want to melt him, set up the Ballista and Super Shotgun for quick-swap between the two. Then stagger him with the SSG, swap and shoot him with the Ballista for more damage than what a second SSG shot would do. Alternatively, you can use grenades and sticky nades as well as remote detonation rockets to bypass his shield.

1 hour ago, RaikohZX said:

You want to melt him, set up the Ballista and Super Shotgun for quick-swap between the two. Then stagger him with the SSG, swap and shoot him with the Ballista for more damage than what a second SSG shot would do. Alternatively, you can use grenades and sticky nades as well as remote detonation rockets to bypass his shield.

I was under the impression he was invulnerable if his shield was up from any angle.

Seemed to only take damage when down or when his eyes were green

5 minutes ago, Buckshot said:

I was under the impression he was invulnerable if his shield was up from any angle.

Seemed to only take damage when down or when his eyes were green

I'm not sure if any rockets can daze him, or just the flare/master upgraded ones, but he auto-blocks everything he's facing if he's not vulnerable, and anything behind or around that shield is valid even if he doesn't stagger. You can notice this behavior if you fire the BFG in a large open area, he faces the rays to block them the entire time, and since he's usually facing you all the time it's hard to notice.

I personally had a ton of problems the first few encounters and I only really got used to fighting him on the second-to-last map, but that was the point where they started giving the guy friends.

I saw the title of this thread earlier today and was worried (as I have 0% skill in following directions) but my first encounter took only 2 short tries, as the tutorial card indeed lays out the entire mechanic of the fight. I am on HMP though, so maybe it's harder on UV.

The friend demons got in the way and killed me the first time, but 2nd time they stayed out of the way.

14 hours ago, Linguica said:

Are people simple refusing to follow the directions?

Judging by every single piece of footage I seen of Marauder fights on Youtube: yes. Everyone's just rushing him and using rapid fire weapons instead of slow weapons that do more focused damage, which seems more ideal for a guy you have a small window frame to hurt.

Marauders are manageable the moment you upgrade the SSG's rate of fire.

Spoiler

However one of the secret encounters makes the marauder insufferable for me, if you've done it you know the one I'm referring to.

The marauder is pretty easy.
But I think most peoples, me included, problem with him isn't whether or not he's hard. But the fact that he forces you to slow down in a game that teaches you from the get go that slowing down or stopping is a death sentence.

It's especially annoying when you stand in mid range but he chooses to throw his axe at you anyways

On 3/22/2020 at 3:25 PM, RaikohZX said:

I'm not sure if any rockets can daze him, or just the flare/master upgraded ones, but he auto-blocks everything he's facing if he's not vulnerable, and anything behind or around that shield is valid even if he doesn't stagger. You can notice this behavior if you fire the BFG in a large open area, he faces the rays to block them the entire time, and since he's usually facing you all the time it's hard to notice.

I've seen videos of Slayer Gate runs and he can be damaged with the BFG, but only during when he's in mid transition of an action. It still doesn't kill him mind, and takes a bit luck and timing, but it is possible.

I have tutorial stuff disabled in the UI so my first encounter with a Marauder went as you might expect. But even after learning more about it, I haven't found the hints to beating it to be effective. Generally I don't register a green flash at all, and the few times I have noticed one, I've already been hit. Maintaining a fixed distance is problematic as it warps around at high speed. I've had most success when I've been able to fight in a narrow space where it's mobility is limited and it becomes vulnerable to being faltered by grenades and sticky bombs.

Edited by Urthar

The Marauder fight was definitely overhyped by the players. Everyone was spouting memes about how crazy OP he is! I killed him on my first try on Ultra-Violence. Without losing a single life/1-up. It was really easy to understand how to take him on.

ok now that I'm further in the game I change my answer

Stupid pieces of crap

The damn things don't act predictably at all, and trying to get mid-range to provoke a green-eye attack just results in a shotgun blast or that stupid axe projectile piece of shit.

I was able to kill one earlier in the game by kiting it super far away from the main monster area, but even then it took several tries.

I'm grateful for the challenge though. It just seems so out of whack with the difficulty of other monsters either I'm doing something wrong or this thing isn't tuned right.

I waited for his dash then pumped 2 rounds of SSG into him, used the fodder for refills and repeated. 

Edited by Swordofdanu