Let's settle this once and for all

What do you think? Yes or no?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think? Yes or no?

• Yes
    • No
    • No comment

Yes, it does, IMO.

The weapons : BOOOOOOORING! Nothing interesting, they suck, until you get the Tome of Power.

The enemies : they look ugly and just plain stupid, not to mention not challenging.

The levels : terrible, dull, and a real bore to play.

The music : decent, somewhat enjoyable

The sounds : meh, they could have done a little better

The fun : where is it?

Well - no real comment for me, lol. I would love to say heretic is a good game, but I cannot - I played it for a couple of weeks and than it just began to accumulate dust. Well one thing's for sure - it had some fun levels, some really entertaining levels - I also think it was better Hexen (which I played for maybe 2 days). But still, it's not one of those games I'm going to remember or tell any of my children about.

I wanted to post yes but made a mistake... I never liked Heretic, I can't pinpoint the reason why, just that when I look at it, I just want to quit, maybe it's the gameplay.

I didn't play enough, but I found that when I found a new weapon, there was no need to go to another one until ammo runs out.
but again, I didn't play much of it.

I like Heretic, and I still play it sometimes. The only downside I could think of is that there weren't that many textures. Using CASTLERCK everywhere gets kind of repetitive after a while. The weapons may be a ripoff of Doom's weapons (except maybe the Firemace), but they're still fun to use, especially when you use the Tome of Power. The gameplay was very good, with plenty of action in most areas. Out of all the enemies, I like the Iron Lich the best (followed closely by the Maulotaur), but it's too bad that it didn't float around. It would have made it that much more challenging.

And deathmatch games are a lot of fun, especially when you have a Morph Ovum or two, and you feel like fried chicken tonight, heheheh.

BBG said:

The weapons : BOOOOOOORING! Nothing interesting, they suck, until you get the Tome of Power.

The enemies : they look ugly and just plain stupid, not to mention not challenging.

Wow, that is like the ultimate description of Medal Of Honor. Except for the tome of power part.

Imo, heretic is a okay game. Well, it have stole alot from doom, but I still find it quite fun... :)
Hexen is also cool, but I prefer heretic, because it play more like doom...

ravage said:

Uh...

Post another post like that again and it won't be pretty for you.

Anyway, Heretic is OK but it never held my attention long, about as long as Shadow Warrior did, though that was annoying in a different way.

BBG said:

Yes, it does, IMO.

Holly shit you could not have said that better!. I liked Heretic for about 20 mins into the game then I never really bothered playing it anymore.

Heretic 2 I dident like at all eather for that matter.

I quite enjoy heretic....it doesn't have the atmosphere of doom, and is a little "cartoony", but i still like it....Now hexen, well, hexen kicks ass...

pritch said:

Anyway, Heretic is OK but it never held my attention long, about as long as Shadow Warrior did, though that was annoying in a different way.

Sorry, being in a Diablo chat for 10 minutes straight can kinda desensitze you. Won't happen again. (I think :P) :)

Heretic rules.

Torn said:

heretic ... stole alot from doom

"Stole" is hardly the right word, given that it was made with id's blessing and support.

i am not a fan of gothic style magic games. however i thought it was a good game for the time, but never bought it. I really liked hexen II, and never even seen heritic II.

Can´t tell, since I´m still in E1M2 of the shareware version (which I dled some months ago) because always when I have the time to play, I do the DooM add-ons that seems to never end :) But Heretic doesn´t seem to be bad at all...

This thread and the appended poll are Copyright © 2003, DooMBoy Enterprises.

The DooMBoy logo is Copyright © 2000-2003, DooMBoy Enterprises. All rights reserved.

This is a question that cannot be settled - some like Heretic, some detest Heretic and some don't care about Heretic. Live with it.
/Me burns DooMBoy for starting this stupid thread.

Uh...

Ravage, I'd edit that if I were you - turn it into something more interesting.

When I first playes I thought "Gee, this is pretty well Doom with replaced graphics and a new font." Then I got the Gauntlets of The Necromancer and the Ethereal Crossbow, and that clinched it. I was never sure after that if it was a new game or a mod. I still enjoy it rightly, and very much, but still. I feel it borrowed a 'little' much of Doom. And whoever said BBG's description was the ultimate Medal of Honor description, you have never been more right.

Lost Soul said:

And whoever said BBG's description was the ultimate Medal of Honor description, you have never been more right.

Hah, it could be funny if it turned out that everyone who likes MoH:AA better than RtCW are the same who love Heretic to death :-P

pritch said:

...and what are you gonna do? I haven't fixed up your mod center tools yet :P