Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ASON-Z-

Scythe trilogy

I finally finished all 3 Scythe games for the first time. Easily some of the best Mega-Wads out there.

Obviously Scythe X/3 is clearly unfinished, which is a damn shame. I hope Erik return's to finish it someday.

And Scythe 2 is easily the best fan-made Mega-Wad I ever played.

If I were to rank the 3, it would be...

1.Scythe 2

2.Scythe 1

3.Scythe X (At its current state.)

I highly recommend these Wads. 

But just a heads up, Scythe 1 and 2 have a huge difficulty spike near the end of each other.

The Scythe series are great WADs and highly influential, especially Scythe 2. Perhaps since surpassed by some more modern WADs, but still great to play today.

I agree Scythe X was the weakest of the three, even comparing just the first 10 levels of each, the trope of making the first few levels really easy was pretty tiresome (whereas I’ve just started playing Valiant which is a breath of fresh air in that regard), and the first two episodes were thematically very similar. Only the final level brought something new, but even that had a sense of trying to do too much all at once.

Would it be nice if Erik returned one day to finish it off? Yes of course, but the same time I’m not counting on it, and there’s so many other talented WAD makers and emerging new mappers out there that it’s not exactly the end of the world if he doesn’t.

6 hours ago, Horus said:

The Scythe series are great WADs and highly influential, especially Scythe 2. Perhaps since surpassed by some more modern WADs, but still great to play today.

I agree Scythe X was the weakest of the three, even comparing just the first 10 levels of each, the trope of making the first few levels really easy was pretty tiresome (whereas I’ve just started playing Valiant which is a breath of fresh air in that regard), and the first two episodes were thematically very similar. Only the final level brought something new, but even that had a sense of trying to do too much all at once.

Would it be nice if Erik returned one day to finish it off? Yes of course, but the same time I’m not counting on it, and there’s so many other talented WAD makers and emerging new mappers out there that it’s not exactly the end of the world if he doesn’t.

I agree, I suppose Erik probably has better things to do nowadays. And the vast selection of WADs out there can easily make up for this loss anyway.

I think its a bit redundant to say Erik Alm is the most influential mapper that didn't work for Id, because its basically doomworld scripture at this point. Pretty much every big-name mapper has his DNA floating around in their mapping style (which sounds a bit gross now that I'm typing it). I'd say Scythe's sequel is far more influential than itself, but I would be lying if I said I could rank them. First off, its kind of unfair the rank Scythe X, since we don't really know where its was going (but the last map did give a juicy hint). I would also have difficulty picking from the other two. Scythe 2 is a masterpiece of epic proportions, but Scythe 1 is so damn cute. I love the smaller maps, and architecture. It's about as classic as you can get without getting into DTWID territory, and yet, still has a level of polish that is not found in many community megawads before, especially those helmed by a single person. Maybe it's just nostalgia, but I cannot, in good faith, rank one above the other. Scythe and Scythe 2 are both excellent, and every Doom fan should (and probably does) have it in their WAD collection.

2 hours ago, Egg Boy said:

I think its a bit redundant to say Erik Alm is the most influential mapper that didn't work for Id, because its basically doomworld scripture at this point. Pretty much every big-name mapper has his DNA floating around in their mapping style (which sounds a bit gross now that I'm typing it). I'd say Scythe's sequel is far more influential than itself, but I would be lying if I said I could rank them. First off, its kind of unfair the rank Scythe X, since we don't really know where its was going (but the last map did give a juicy hint). I would also have difficulty picking from the other two. Scythe 2 is a masterpiece of epic proportions, but Scythe 1 is so damn cute. I love the smaller maps, and architecture. It's about as classic as you can get without getting into DTWID territory, and yet, still has a level of polish that is not found in many community megawads before, especially those helmed by a single person. Maybe it's just nostalgia, but I cannot, in good faith, rank one above the other. Scythe and Scythe 2 are both excellent, and every Doom fan should (and probably does) have it in their WAD collection.

Exactly my thoughts. Scythe 1 and 2 are both equally great in their own right, but I especially loved the different art styles that Scythe 2 would switch up every 5 maps.

Such a unique twist for a Mega-Wad if you ask me. And I absolutely adored the brutal difficulty of it.

Though X is unfinished, I still included it on my rankings. At its current state its the weakest, but that could change someday hopefully.

I'm a big fan of ranking certain types of media just for fun anyways.

Scythe 2 is still one of my favorite megawads (probably second-best). Always loved the gameplay and architecture, also the general atmosphere is pretty much unmatched by anything else. It's a megawad of pure magic for sure!

1 hour ago, versionfiv said:

anyone know of similar wads?

Check out skillsaw's works, Vanguard comes to mind for its episodic format.