Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DOEL

Eviternity without custom monsters?

I was wondering if there's a version of Eviternity out there without the custom monsters. I know another popular WAD, Valiant, has a version without custom weapons and monsters, so something like that.

Can you tell how much of a stickler for vanilla gameplay I am?

Just build your own... Use find and replace in the builder, remove or replace the MBF monsters with vanilla ones, and that should be pretty much it. You're not getting "strict" vanilla gameplay out of eviternity anyway, because it's got loads of boom format actions in it.

I'm not familar with how to do that so I'll either have to figure out how to do that or suck or up and face the real thing.

Thank you for the info.

It only took me like 10-15 mins to remove all custom stuff jammed into Eviternity. (Yes, really)

The problem is, the whole wad's geometry is dependent on those custom weapons and enemies. So you'll also have to alter some parts of some maps to make Eviternity "Vaccinated" Edition a thing.

Spoiler

Here's a quick example, the former captain (chaingunner but wears blue clothes) is a replacement for SS Nazis in OG Doom 2 and fires bullets, which replace arachnotron plasma balls.

I remove all these custom stuff and suddenly, these enemies become much more pathetic. It may even crashes the game.

By the way, Dragonfly (the wad's main author), is also interested in this. He doesn't have much time though.

What resources do I need to do this? I'm completely out of my element, I apologize.

You would have to do extensive work in WhackEd4 to make a version with only vanilla weapons and enemies, because you’d have to keep the specific codepointers that cause things to happen in the map in-tact. Similar to how Barons on E1M8 lower the wall when they’re killed. It would take hours of work but I’m sure it could be done. Even just playing with the wrong dmflags can totally break progression so this would have to be done with a serious eye for details!

Edit: The tools would be slade3 to find and extract the DEHACKED lump (saving it as a .bex file) and WhackEd4 to edit that file (in MBF format I think) to turn the custom enemies back into vanilla enemies.

4 minutes ago, DOEL said:

What resources do I need to do this? I'm completely out of my element, I apologize.

Like @Doomkid said. You may also need Slade 3/XWE for removing custom graphics + Doom Builder 2+ for altering the maps.

Here's a  beginner's Dehacked tutorial by Doomkid in case you don't even know what Dehacked is.

Thank you all for the feedback! It's all out of area of knowledge as of now but I will look into it.

Edited by DOEL

Given OP's earlier questions, i have to determine that pointing to DeHackEd is likely a bridge or two too far, even with helpful tutorials.

@DOEL before you attempt these things, lets read up on what the mentioned programs are:

@TheNoob_Gamer Recommending Doom Builder 2 is a logical assumption since it has been so omnipresent, but it is also severely outdated - Reference Ultimate Doom Builder or Doom Builder X :)

In all due honesty, I'm not exactly sure why using a builder to remove or replace the MBF monsters where it is possible, while leaving the rest of the WAD as is (including the dehacked patch itself), is not an option. If you gut the cybruisers, uber-cacos or whatever they're called, and the beefed up demons, you're already a great deal closer to having a vanilla experience. If you want more, sure, look into dehacked, and turn for example the chaingunners and/or trons back to normal (Which I assume/hope takes nothing more than removing sprite replacements for trons in SLADE, and axing the relevant dehacked while leaving the rest untouched), and it's pretty much good to go. As for codepointers, I'd probably have to take a look for myself to see if any of the MBF monsters use keen-codepointers or whatever, but I'd generally argue that a simple, albeit slightly "ramshackle" solution is the better way to go for the time being.

If DF ever decides to crank out a "vaccinated" edition, then the OP has at least something to tide them over, so let's not make it any more complicated than it needs to be. And in case there might be important codepointers that have to be kept as is, then I'd ask the person who made the dehacked what to look for, rather then skulking around in the lump for hours on end. ;-)

15 hours ago, DOEL said:

I'm not familar with how to do that so I'll either have to figure out how to do that or suck or up and face the real thing.

Thank you for the info.

So have you not actually tried the mapset yet?

Maybe do that first.  To confirm, there's only a small handful of new monsters and most maps don't even feature them.  They're very much vanilla in design, and none of them featuring attacks or abilities that are alien to vanilla Doom.  Perhaps just give the mapset a try.