Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hunting4r2d2

The Pistol exist in Doom Eternal (kinda)

So it turns out there is actually a fully functioning pistol within Doom Eternal:

Considering the amount of polish this weapon has it must have been cut pretty late in development or is at the very least being reserved for DLC. Definitely seems like it would be a good weapon for taking out some of the fodder enemies.

holy shit. i know the pistol has always been pretty shitty but i was still kind of sad when they said they were removing it.

I saw this. It pisses me off. If it's still in the game, why the fuck can't they patch the game and enable it?

1 minute ago, Nevander said:

I saw this. It pisses me off. If it's still in the game, why the fuck can't they patch the game and enable it?

for real. comments think itll be used for dlc

Huh, so it does exist after all. But, in its state it's useless I think, considering it probably can't be upgraded at all - also, burst fire? Really? It looks wildly inaccurate now.

Useless, not useless, I really don't care. The pistol in classic Doom is arguably useless after getting the Chaingun, but that doesn't mean I'd not want to still have it.

2 hours ago, Nevander said:

Maybe because they don't want it in the game.

there is a reason it was removed.

as much as I wish Poise to be put back in DS3 there is a reason that is also removed, its not needed or wanted by the devs.

2 hours ago, Nevander said:

Useless, not useless, I really don't care. The pistol in classic Doom is arguably useless after getting the Chaingun, but that doesn't mean I'd not want to still have it.

Yeah and give it infinite ammo and it has some purpose. 

Honestly, a Doom game without a pistol feels wrong. I should be there, even if just traditions sake. I know that I used it a lot in 2016 to not waste ammo on zombies.

Though as far Doom pistols go, this one looks way better than previous ones.

5 hours ago, jazzmaster9 said:

there is a reason it was removed

Yea but probably not a good one. Even if they deemed it worthless, that doesn't mean we as players do. The developers should not make that type of assumption, especially considering that Doom has always had a pistol, and not to mention they already have it in the game!

11 minutes ago, Nevander said:

Yea but probably not a good one. Even if they deemed it worthless, that doesn't mean we as players do. The developers should not make that type of assumption, especially considering that Doom has always had a pistol, and not to mention they already have it in the game!

As part of Doom Lineage, I will agree the pistol has it's place

In a practical sense.. I pretty much forgot the  Pistol existed once you get better weapons like a shotgun.

The chaingun can snipe pretty well and used the same ammo.

There's a reason Quake started you out with one.

I mean for them to remove such a part of Doom's lineage, there HAS to be a good reason

though i will admit Doom 2016 did the pistol justice, but It didn't feel lie huge loss when I play Eternal

I have a feeling it was removed after observing playtesting. My guess is that players accustomed to 2016 would run out of ammo and attempt to use the pistol to defeat enemies (although this one does seem to use rifle ammo...but that may not have been the way it functioned originally, perhaps it was infinite - speculation) instead of using the chainsaw to get more. Perhaps this was done to further emphasize the resource gathering mechanics that are intended to form the combat loop. This is further reinforced by the fact that the game automatically switches to the chainsaw when you are out of ammunition instead of letting you sit there with an empty weapon. A suggestion nudging you towards the action you need to take to acquire more.

19 minutes ago, Phobos Anomaly said:

I have a feeling it was removed after observing playtesting. My guess is that players accustomed to 2016 would run out of ammo and attempt to use the pistol to defeat enemies (although this one does seem to use rifle ammo...but that may not have been the way it functioned originally, perhaps it was infinite - speculation) instead of using the chainsaw to get more. Perhaps this was done to further emphasize the resource gathering mechanics that are intended to form the combat loop. This is further reinforced by the fact that the game automatically switches to the chainsaw when you are out of ammunition instead of letting you sit there with an empty weapon. A suggestion nudging you towards the action you need to take to acquire more.

Yeah, with the context of how they were trying to balance the game, the pistol doesn’t really make sense.

It's will be kinda cool if the expansion with Crash or Phobos, they use the pistol, kinda Halo ODST, but it's should remove other weapon to make it shine.

I love the look of it. Very Enforcer (UT). 

I assume they cut it out due to overlapping use with the machine gun though. As it stands, each gun has a very specific place in the combat loop, so this looks like it may have just been the odd one out. 

I've never felt any attachment to the Pistol in any of the Doom games, but it's neat that it's in the game files. The Shotgun is a much better choice for a starter weapon and gives a better first impression to a newcomer of what Doom's arsenal is actually like.

6 minutes ago, AtimZarr1 said:

I've never felt any attachment to the Pistol in any of the Doom games, but it's neat that it's in the game files. The Shotgun is a much better choice for a starter weapon and gives a better first impression to a newcomer of what Doom's arsenal is actually like.

Wouldn’t mind if it was put back in but it needs to have a purpose that isn’t immediately overshadowed by other guns. It was the go-to for when you run out of ammo but the endlessly re-charging chainsaw kinda took care of that issue.

1 hour ago, AtimZarr1 said:

Except that I keep hitting 3 to switch to the shotgun, and I get a plasma rifle.