Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tony_Danza_the_boss

Is anybody else seriously disappointed with Eternal?

57 minutes ago, Vesperas_ said:

As far as the game itself, it's probably the worst FPS I've played in the last three years. DUSK, AMID EVIL, WRATH: Aeon of Ruin, RAGE 2, Black Mesa and (especially) Ion Fury blow it out of the water.

• Just read back what you wrote.
  • Then re-read the bolded.

If this is the worst FPS in 3 years for you, please do not purchase any games that aren't AAA big budget titles. You will inevitably die out of frustration.

This game really brings the clan of hyperbolists together, isn't it.

1 minute ago, The Doommer said:

Most rewards are in exploration though. You get only 1 battery by doing 3 challanges, but you may get up to 3 for finding secrets

Something like this was in the OG Dooms, but in form of getting a weapon sooner / a really needed powerup.

It's a tradition since the beginning, I don't deny that. Somehow though in the old Dooms I'm able to just ignore all the secrets, shoot&explore at my own leisure, and get pleased if I stumble into some secret sometimes(I'm really bad at it). As for the exploration - that's true, but it makes me like the game way less somehow. It's just hard for me to just ignore that stuff and do what I'd like to do.

2 minutes ago, Baron Pampa said:

It's just hard for me to just ignore that stuff and do what I'd like to do.

You can always come back at the level though. Like, kill all the enemies and fast travel back.

Or finish the level and use cheats to come back later

Honestly the only negative thing I can say about this game is how its bringing all the less skilled players and AAA game haters out to bitch and moan about it.

WE GET IT. ITS HARD. There's no need to make multiple threads on multiple forums and sites whining about it. People have already pointed out why half you people are failing to get past the 2nd level (i.e. being too stubborn to change weapons or use the damn chainsaw), if you can't learn to play a different way, that's YOUR problem. Stop trying to make everyone else actually enjoying the game feel bad.

You can always come back at the level though. Like, kill all the enemies and fast travel back.

Or finish the level and use cheats to come back later

Man, I actually forgot that there are cheat codes in the game. They prohibit you from completing Slayer's Gates, I can find them...you just might have increased my mark for the game from like 7 to ~9:D

Maybe the reason why some people complain about the game being hard is because the game and even its marketing center around how powerfull Doomguy is.

So they assume they must win more often because of it.

9 minutes ago, Baron Pampa said:

you just might have increased my mark for the game from like 7 to ~9:D

Good to know. lol

9 minutes ago, Baron Pampa said:

They prohibit you from completing Slayer's Gates

Yeah, because Slayer Gates give you a weapon more OP than freaking BFG

1 hour ago, The Doommer said:

You mean that one skin? Which was a twitch gift for some of the girl streamers?

Are you for real man?!

Thank you for proving my point.

Yeah! The Doomicorn skin! It's prominently featured on the main menu and is rewarded to people who have Twitch Prime accounts (has nothing to do with streaming)... Man, it is the epitome of Doom. It's so fucking metal. When I saw it, I was immediately reminded of how awesome Slayer's Reign In Blood album is.

It did not make me think of "My Little Pony" at all and despite what some may claim, Rainbow Dash is not, in fact, the Doom Slayer.

WTF are you even talking about?!!

Hell on earth was Doom II's setting too. You gonna call Doom II COD clone too?

I never thought I would ever say this, but go play your Fortnite mate. Doom isn't your taste.

You're clearly new here. Welcome.

Prior to D16, id Software was working on a new Doom game, tentatively called Doom 4, which became more popularly regarded as "Call of Doom," that was depicted as being something of a mix between RAGE and Doom 3. It had glory kills, featured a hell on earth setting, complete with a huge gore nest landmark and hellish landscape, and resistance survivors. Seeing as Doom II came out before COD, no--I wouldn't call Doom II a COD clone. It's depressing I even need to point that out.

I've never played Fortnite mate.

Also, I still have my original boxed copies of Doom II, Master Levels (with the poster hanging on my wall), Doom 64, et cetera. My username/namesake is my way of praising the brilliance of the late John W. Anderson. I have a copies of DeepSea or WadAuthor on my PC (because, you know, memories). I also own a copy of Doom Music signed by Bobby Prince. (His music sucks. Mick Gordon forever!)

You're right though. Doom isn't my taste.

Half-Life Remake which is inspired by Doom?

There is literally no way this comment is not sarcastic.

Is this dude comparing Rage 2 with Doom?

I've never heard anyone ever say Half-Life was inspired by Doom, and I've been a member of Doomworld a very long time. (This isn't my original account.) It does use a branch of the Quake engine, but that's reaching. As far as Black Mesa, it's a fan-made re-imagining of Half-Life in the Source engine. How the hell is that inspired by Doom? The concept of jumping wasn't even introduced to Doom as a franchise until well after Half-Life was released.

And yes, I am comparing the two (as did everyone else, including most major review websites). The PC in RAGE 2, Walker, actually moves faster than the Doom Marine Slayer in Doom Eternal, and can also double jump and dash. The FPS action component is more-or-less the same between D16, RAGE 2 and Doom Eternal, with a few notable differences.

1 hour ago, Vesperas_ said:

It's interesting to see how many people are praising it as the best Doom ever when it's clearly the "Call of Doom" game we were originally supposed to get.

u wot m8?

20 minutes ago, The Doommer said:

Yeah, because Slayer Gates give you a weapon more OP than freaking BFG

That's debatable. I found it underwhelming. 

Edited by Super Mighty G

4 minutes ago, Vesperas_ said:

Prior to D16, id Software was working on a new Doom game, tentatively called Doom 4, which became more popularly regarded as "Call of Doom," that was depicted as being something of a mix between RAGE and Doom 3. It had glory kills, featured a hell on earth setting, complete with a huge gore nest landmark and hellish landscape, and resistance survivors. Seeing as Doom II came out before COD, no--I wouldn't call Doom II a COD clone. It's depressing I even need to point that out.

I know this.

Because some things are recycled, that does not mean the game is same.

5 minutes ago, Vesperas_ said:

I've never heard anyone ever say Half-Life was inspired by Doom

It was. Half-Life is the first game not to be called a Doom clone though. Ideas are the same.

Also, even Designers of the game said so:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-Life_(video_game)#Development

paragraph 2 of the linked section

7 minutes ago, Vesperas_ said:

You're clearly new here. Welcome.

Not really that new. I've been here for 5 years. Compared to some of the experienced ones, yes I'm new.

Not the point though.

9 minutes ago, Vesperas_ said:

How the hell is that inspired by Doom? The concept of jumping wasn't even introduced to Doom as a franchise until well after Half-Life was released.

Are we talking about  jumping? Scientific Experiment goes wrong, aliens destroying a facility, sci-fi weapons, etc.

Duke Nukem 3D has jumping and is considered a Doom Clone.

Also, I said Black Mesa is a remake of Half-Life. It is fan made, but it's a remake. Re-imagining isn't the very best word to describe it.

14 minutes ago, Vesperas_ said:

moves faster than the Doom Marine Slayer in Doom Eternal

Is it that much of a huge issue though?!

15 minutes ago, Vesperas_ said:

Also, I still have my original boxed copies of Doom II, Master Levels (with the poster hanging on my wall), Doom 64, et cetera. My username/namesake is my way of praising the brilliance of the late John W. Anderson. I have a copies of DeepSea or WadAuthor on my PC (because, you know, memories).

I never questioned anyone for their usernames though, unlike some people here (not you obviously). But hey, appreciate it.

16 minutes ago, Vesperas_ said:

His music sucks. Mick Gordon forever!

Both musics are awesome. Bobby has some really unforgettable music (IoS theme - used in DE, etc)

11 minutes ago, Super Mighty G said:

I found it underwhelming. 

It kills Marauders easily...

Well the Graphics are beautiful (even i dont really like the design of some demon-types)

What sucks at Doom 2016 and Eternal is simply the Chainsaw. It should be a closerange weapon like in Classic Doom and Doom 3

I found it very immersive so roam around the Levels and search for Ammo if you are running out of ammo.  As the Doomslayer would do it in real.
OMG in Doom 3 It was awesome when u was out of ammo ,searching for ammo and maybe there is a Imp hiding while even on low health. :D
The Chainsaw Mechanics just sucks. It looks nice a few times but after a while its nothing special then.

2 minutes ago, Faustrecht said:

OMG in Doom 3 It was awesome when u was out of ammo ,searching for ammo and maybe there is a Imp hiding while even on low health. :D

I guess you like Doom to be a horror game.

Not really a fan of the idea but I respect it.

3 minutes ago, Faustrecht said:

It should be a closerange weapon like in Classic Doom and Doom 3

In eternal it has infinite ammo on small enemies though

I guess you like Doom to be a horror game.

Well I like both aspects of Doom. Horror elements also spice up a plain shooter a bit. And Doom has bcoz of its Demons a good Base for a horror aspect.

But a Doom full of jumpscares were boring. I agree with you. It also depends how u play it.

On 3/22/2020 at 6:19 AM, Foebane72 said:

OP, shush, you'll get us all crucified with remarks like that! They've already nailed me to the cross over saying the same thing! And for loving Doom 3, too! It's a capital crime over here!

Then I'm a criminal. Just like the other fans. Good to know. 

Are you gonna sentence me to death? Or ask for a ban on all Doom related forums? 

Also: nobody cares how butthurt you are over Doom 3. You don't like it, okay. But don't mock others because they have different opinions/tastes. 

Grow up 

2 minutes ago, Phobos Anomaly said:

@The Doommer What I find most telling about @Vesperas_'s negative and smartass comments are that they focus entirely on things that are completely unrelated to gameplay.

Couldn't say it better. Here, Have a like.

15 minutes ago, Leninova said:

Then I'm a criminal. Just like the other fans. Good to know. 

Are you gonna sentence me to death? Or ask for a ban on all Doom related forums? 

Also: nobody cares how butthurt you are over Doom 3. You don't like it, okay. But don't mock others because they have different opinions/tastes. 

Grow up 

Seriously, I'm off now to DELETE that damn post! It's caused me nothing but trouble.

9 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

Seriously, I'm off now to DELETE that damn post! It's caused me nothing but trouble.

You should have seen that coming.

4 minutes ago, The Doommer said:

You should have seen that coming.

It was meant to be taken in jest, to be honest. I guess a lot of people here don't have a sense of humour.

26 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

You're like a sweaty octopus trying to unhook a bra. Just chill, ok?

1 hour ago, Redneckerz said:
  • Just read back what you wrote.
  • Then re-read the bolded.

If this is the worst FPS in 3 years for you, please do not purchase any games that aren't AAA big budget titles. You will inevitably die out of frustration.

This game really brings the clan of hyperbolists together, isn't it.

I wouldn't say that. I liked D16. The glory kills just became so repetitive that I have a hard time playing it now. I loved Arkane Studios' Prey.

Maybe my memory is completely failing, but I don't recall ever seeing massive, yellow question marks to mark secret areas in the original Doom, nor do I remember the levels being so linear, cutscenes, "lore," the monsters dropping skittles (taste the rainbow!) when using the chainsaw...

55 minutes ago, The Doommer said:

I know this.

Because some things are recycled, that does not mean the game is same.

You missed the point. I assumed it was because you were unfamiliar with the cancelled Doom 4 and the popular opinion of it at the time (hence why I said you must be new here).

The cancelled Doom 4 was panned because it was shown to have a checkpoint based save system, glory kills, cutscenes, linear level design, and a dialogue/story-driven campaign in a hell on earth setting.

Doom Eternal has all of those things.

Are we talking about  jumping? Scientific Experiment goes wrong, aliens destroying a facility, sci-fi weapons, etc.

Duke Nukem 3D has jumping and is considered a Doom Clone.

I was under the impression were discussing the gameplay. I didn't mention DUSK, AMID EVIL, and everything else to point out story elements. I'm rather sure I wrote the best games I've played. I'm glad you pointed out Duke Nukem 3D was regarded as a Doom clone. In part, it's why I said I (especially) regarded Ion Fury as being one of the best FPS games I've played in the last 3 years.

Also, I said Black Mesa is a remake of Half-Life. It is fan made, but it's a remake. Re-imagining isn't the very best word to describe it.

It's both. Black Mesa's Zen chapter is very much a re-imagining. Most of it is entirely new. As before, in terms of gameplay, Doom Eternal shares more in common with Half-Life than it shares in common with the original Doom, which is specifically why I mentioned jumping.

Is it that much of a huge issue though?!

It's not an issue for me. It's just proof of my point. RAGE 2 was voted the worst game of 2019 on Steam, yet Doom Eternal is the best Doom ever made? It simply shows how easily people are duped by popular opinion. The FPS component between them are so close you could exchange Walker for the Doom Marine and hardly tell the difference. Seriously.

I never questioned anyone for their usernames though, unlike some people here (not you obviously). But hey, appreciate it.

I just thought it was laughable someone would say "Doom isn't my thing" when my username is that of a Master Level from Doom, created by a level designer most Doom fans consider to be one of the most influential mappers ever.

Both musics are awesome. Bobby has some really unforgettable music (IoS theme - used in DE, etc)

The song is called Opening to Hell. And you're right. He sure does. That's why almost every single one of Mick Gordon's songs for D16, including the theme song, and presumably, many for Doom Eternal, are based on one of Bobby Prince's original songs, with the notable exception of Harbinger, which is based on Chris Vrenna's Doom 3 theme (aka the Tool Lateralus rip-off).

Sadly, I'm not sure because I can't play the tape that came with my DE: CE (I haven't owned a tape player in years), and Bethesda is holding back the digital download.

2 minutes ago, Vesperas_ said:

I just thought it was laughable someone would say "Doom isn't my thing" when my username is that of a Master Level from Doom

You basically called DE a COD clone.

Anyone would react the same.

3 minutes ago, Vesperas_ said:

cutscenes, linear level design, and a dialogue/story-driven campaign in a hell on earth setting

linear level design? Not at all. Do you call the fact that you can go back / have different routes / secrets a linear map design?

cutscenes? skippable even the first time

story-driven campaign? 1. Even OG Doom had a story. 2. It's optional to follow.

6 minutes ago, Vesperas_ said:

The FPS component between them are so close you could exchange Walker for the Doom Marine and hardly tell the difference. Seriously.

Because of only the movement?

Not a good point.

7 minutes ago, Vesperas_ said:

Doom Eternal shares more in common with Half-Life

Where does Half-Life has a vast amount of platforming?

Also, Doom has lots of mobility in the gameplay. Half-Life isn't much of that.

9 minutes ago, Vesperas_ said:

I don't recall ever seeing massive, yellow question marks to mark secret areas in the original Doom

But I remember that you had to hump every wall to find them. That won't work now.

Also, the game is bad because it is not Doom 1 & Doom II remastered? Interesting...

Half-life 1 actually had a decent amount of platforming, especially in the beginning and ending levels. Lots of insta-death pits and hazards you had to platform through to get to the next section early on. Mid-game it was about dodging military turrets and traps, but there was CLEARLY platforming in the early and late parts of the game.

5 hours ago, Vesperas_ said:

It's interesting to see how many people are praising it as the best Doom ever when it's clearly the "Call of Doom" game we were originally supposed to get. From the cancelled Doom 4's screenshots and glory kill system (which was recycled into D16), it's quite apparent. 

It don't like it therefore is like Fornite/Call of Duty/Battlefield

Now this one is not even original.

Atleast try to be creative in trolling.

Atleast with the other comments they have subjective views, 

Doom Eternal plays nothing Like Call of Duty. This is just Objectively wrong and not even an opinion.

Edited by jazzmaster9

I think I must have missed that opportunity to call a drone strike on the Marauder. Is it one of the secret encounters?

On 3/27/2020 at 4:53 PM, The Doommer said:

You basically called DE a COD clone.

Anyone would react the same.

That's not what I said.

linear level design? Not at all. Do you call the fact that you can go back / have different routes / secrets a linear map design?

I said I've been disappointed by what I've played so far. I work at a hospital on 12 hour, 7 day rotations, and it has been a little hectic. I only started playing it earlier today but what I've played so far has been very linear. It's hard to call an area a secret with the Super Mario question marks pointing them out in a way that is well beyond obvious. Every attempt I've made to go off the beaten path has been met with me hitting an invisible wall or falling to my death (due to hitting an invisible wall).

cutscenes? skippable even the first time

And? They still exist. So far, it seems to be even more than Doom 3.

story-driven campaign? 1. Even OG Doom had a story. 2. It's optional to follow.

It's not really optional when you're force fed an objective based progression system, cutscenes, dialogue, et cetera, but I also never remember saying this was a negative. All of my criticisms with it have been with how inane and derivative it has been so far.

Because of only the movement?

Not a good point.

The movement, weapons, ability tutorials, dash, double jump, breaking armor off of enemies, floating pick-ups... You haven't played RAGE 2 have you? It's okay. It's a lot like D16 and even more so, like Doom Eternal.

Where does Half-Life has a vast amount of platforming?

Also, Doom has lots of mobility in the gameplay. Half-Life isn't much of that.

You haven't played Half-Life have you? That's also okay (kind of).

But I remember that you had to hump every wall to find them. That won't work now.

The 1st secret of Doom II you actually earn from just turning around. Almost every wall secret has a tell.

Also, the game is bad because it is not Doom 1 & Doom II remastered? Interesting...

Now you're just being dumb.

Edited by Vesperas_

So in other words 

its bad because it isn't a copy paste of the originals.

Im starting to see a big pattern here...

Cutscenes and story in video games? The horror. Welcome to 2020

2 hours ago, Vesperas_ said:

shows how easily people are duped by popular opinion. .

Another variation of

People only like it because they don't know any better.

This is getting repetitive. Lol

the main difference between Rage 2 and Doom Eternal is that Rage 2's ideas were implemented poorly.

We get it you're smart for not liking Doom Eternal since everyone only likes it because its popular right?

Edited by jazzmaster9

15 minutes ago, Vesperas_ said:

And? They still exist. So far, it seems to be even more than Doom 3.

I have no patience for people who bitch about optional things that they have the choice to ignore or skip. None. Zip. Zero.

The game gives you the opportunity not to see them if you don't want to. If that still bothers you, then the only conclusion I can come to is selfishness - you don't want it to exist even if you have the choice to skip it and it will have no impact on your game and your life whatsoever - and screw everyone that wants to see them, because they don't matter, apparently. This is what every complaint about optional content comes down to, in my opinion.