Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dualscreek

whats the best most up-to-date map editor to use

ive been thinking of mapping but im not sure what i should use to make maps. so im wondering which map editor is the best to use

There are four choices.

• Ultimate Doom Builder: supports practically all GZDoom mapping features.
  • Doom Builder X: supports Lua scripting to automatically edit your map.
  • Eureka: fastest and lightest modern editor, with an easy-to-grasp interface.
  • SLADE 3: the Swiss Army tool of editors, can manage maps but also resources.

You'll probably want to get SLADE 3 anyway just for its resource management, but for editor you might prefer another. UDB is generally the most popular, but it has so many features that its interface can be a bit intimidating. DBX, although largely similar (both are derived from Doom Builder 2), is much less cluttered, and if you know Lua scripting, it can be a very interesting and powerful tool. Eureka has the least features but if you're mapping for vanilla/Boom standard, it should be largely sufficient.

There's no shame in using GZdoom builder, Probably the best when it comes to easy interface and yeah kinda old but still reliable modding capibilities

I use and kind of swear by GZDooMBuilder, have tried SLADE and it doesnt feel right in my opinion (Probably cause im used to GZDB).  I might get around to trying ultimate doom builder though. But I would recommend GZDooMBuilder

1 hour ago, Morpheus666 said:

There's no shame in using GZdoom builder, Probably the best when it comes to easy interface and yeah kinda old but still reliable modding capibilities

It is old, no doubt. No shame to use it if you cannot be motivated enough to upgrade.

The last revision of GZDB was r2787. Then there was GZDB-Bugfix, named aptly, and now Ultimate Doom Builder, which is r3373.

However, if you just map for original doom format, no ZDoom or GZDoom features, then you might be better off with DBX.

For the 'doom builder' side of it, you'll want either 'Ultimate Doombuilder' (formerly the flakily named GZDoomBuilderBugFix) or Doom Builder X, with the former being a bit more feature rich if you want to use GZDoom specific features. The other variants are mainly just older and more out of date. Neither is horribly hard to learn if you ignore the features you don't need though.