Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath666

Doomworld Mega Project 2020 (Y2K edition)

I feel like I learned a thing or two about how ZDoom treats teleport destinations there. Strange, as I made my start as a ZDoom mapper! Maybe I'll give this a go.

I will maybe try to do a small zdoom map. I never mapped on Zdoom. :)

Just a question , what about music in ogg format? Is there a size-limitation or a restriction to midi format?

I'll try to deliver something, I missed 2018 edition, I was distracted with CC64EX. Maybe it's time to make up for that.

Liking the sound of this but it's unlikely I'll have free time for mapping before March so I'll see how inspired I'm feeling around then, and hopefully I'll have an idea and the time to work on it. 

I'm interested to make something with jumping and platforming, consider me in. have zdoom jumping physics been set in stone since 2.8.1? I.e. if I make a gap that's barely possible to clear with sr50+jumping in zd2.8.1, will it still be possible in the latest gzdoom or whatever?

5 hours ago, Ribbiks said:

have zdoom jumping physics been set in stone since 2.8.1?

While I can't really answer that question, and even though the question probably wasn't directed at me, I can at least tell you from first hand experience that the distances you can cover with a single jump depends not only on the port's intrinsic "physics", but also to a great extent on air control (which is where port settings can mess things up). With air control, and you don't need much of it, you can reach DeFRaG-like speeds (relatively speaking) in Doom (even without SR50/SR40), but depending on how the ports handle friction, and how much delay there is before you can jump again, your mileage may vary greatly. So "maxing out" jumps, in particular combinations of jumps in sequence, is likely going to cause some headaches.  And it's not only GZDoom that may give you different results, Zandronum may also show some drastically different behaviour, too.

9 hours ago, Wereknight said:

I'll drop it here just in case. I modified original Doom palette just for this one project. I'll use this one with my map and resources.

dmptestpal.rar

While there is nothing wrong with the palette, the colormap seems to have some problems (especially the grey). If you do palette modification that isn't just a hue change, you should generate a new colormap that that would result in a more natural fade (SLADE has a tool for this). Unless the existing colormap was intentional, but I'm assuming that it's not.

11 hours ago, Ribbiks said:

I'm interested to make something with jumping and platforming, consider me in. have zdoom jumping physics been set in stone since 2.8.1? I.e. if I make a gap that's barely possible to clear with sr50+jumping in zd2.8.1, will it still be possible in the latest gzdoom or whatever?

In addition to NIH's post, I'm also not sure about that. But dmp2020 will only be marketed for zd2.8.1 and nothing else. By default, zd281 has a tiny bit of air control that lets you "grab" on to ledges, but I don't think it affects player speed. I'll add the default air control and gravity values to every map's mapinfo (unless a mapper specifically uses a different value) and if a player changes it for some reason then that's on them. Cool to see a dmp return of ribbiks :)

15 hours ago, Wereknight said:

I'll drop it here just in case. I modified original Doom palette just for this one project. I'll use this one with my map and resources.

dmptestpal.rar

Thanks for your interest but this project will use the standard doom palette.

18 hours ago, Roofi said:

I will maybe try to do a small zdoom map. I never mapped on Zdoom. :)

Just a question , what about music in ogg format? Is there a size-limitation or a restriction to midi format?

If zd281 supports ogg then yes you can use it. There's no size-limitation, but try not to be obnoxious about it. zdoom mapping is fun :)

I still think you should reconsider just going for UDMF format.

Edited by Impboy4

Can I submit a map if it's a remake of my map from DWMP2016? A substantial remake, not a slight remake.

Also, said map was in Vanilla format, I converted it to ZDoom format with Slade, but I don't know if it's Hexen format or not, and there seems to be no way of checking it.

51 minutes ago, Li'l devil said:

Can I submit a map if it's a remake of my map from DWMP2016? A substantial remake, not a slight remake.

Also, said map was in Vanilla format, I converted it to ZDoom format with Slade, but I don't know if it's Hexen format or not, and there seems to be no way of checking it.

If it has all the vanilla lumps like SECTORS and LINEDEFS, it's the Hexen format. If it's just TEXTMAP, that's UDMF.

I know, but, IIRC, there are ZDoom (Doom in Doom format) and ZDoom (Doom in Hexen format), both aren't UDMF, but they differ somehow.

6 hours ago, Li'l devil said:

Yes you can remake your dmp2016 map. How did you convert it with Slade? I can't figure out how to do that. Another method would be to copy all of the sectors/things from your original map, then create a blank hexen format map and paste everything into it. You'll have to change all of the linedef actions and sector effects (and maybe thing flags, I can't remember). To make a ZDoom (Doom in Hexen) format map in Slade you can go to File-New-New Map, Game: Doom2 / Port: ZDoom / OK, Map Name: map01 / Map Format: Hexen.

Thanks, it worked!

How did you convert it with Slade? I can't figure out how to do that.

Every time I open a map in Slade it asks the port of choice, and I assume that if you choose ZDoom, it automatically converts to ZDoom (regular, not Hexen).

5 minutes ago, Li'l devil said:

Every time I open a map in Slade it asks the port of choice, and I assume that if you choose ZDoom, it automatically converts to ZDoom (regular, not Hexen).

No. The port you choose determines the configuration, so the features that the editor will consider available. But it doesn't convert anything.

SLADE separates game, port, and map format, so you can set them independently. Of course, some combinations aren't valid (you can't make a vanilla Doom map in Hexen format, or a vanilla Hexen map in Doom format for that matter) and therefore aren't allowed. If you set the game to Doom and the configuration to vanilla or Boom, you will only be allowed Doom format maps, whereas if you set it to ZDoom you will also be allowed Hexen format maps and UDMF maps.

On vendredi 3 janvier 2020 at 3:52 AM, TimeOfDeath666 said:

In addition to NIH's post, I'm also not sure about that. But dmp2020 will only be marketed for zd2.8.1 and nothing else. By default, zd281 has a tiny bit of air control that lets you "grab" on to ledges, but I don't think it affects player speed. I'll add the default air control and gravity values to every map's mapinfo (unless a mapper specifically uses a different value) and if a player changes it for some reason then that's on them. Cool to see a dmp return of ribbiks :)

You may want to add compat_limited_airmovement to make sure Zandronum behaves like ZDoom instead of doing its own thing.

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Skulltag_features#Compatibility_flags

So for the people who are confused by map formats.

In SLADE, the interface works like this (open spoiler):

Spoiler

vyihE70.png

Notice that you have one drop-down for game, another for port, and look at the little letter in front of the map names: (D) for Doom format, (H) for Hexen format, (U) for UDMF. Simple.

9pt8v0T.pngme2XM2h.png

Maps cannot be converted. However, when you create a new map, you get a drop-down which lets you choose which format you want to use:

tyabEev.png

The formats you can use depend on the port chosen. Note how choosing Boom puts red cross marks in front of the (H) and (U) maps, showing that they can't be edited in that configuration.

8hm3gdy.png

And the ports you can use depend on the game chosen. Note how Boom and Eternity disappear when choosing the game Hexen.

WgWz8U5.png

Count me in here!

Edit: Actually, not sure. Rule number 3 (jumps required) ruined it for me.

Edited by Ninehills42

Hexen format...

Jumping required...

I hate it...

Count me in!

EDIT: I am going to tentatively say "Maybe" as current projects I'm working on have grown a bit in their ambition, but I will try to fit this in over the next year.

Edited by guitardz

On 1/2/2020 at 9:14 AM, Ribbiks said:

I can't wait to see what kind of rocket assistance required jumps you want the player to pull off...I'm counting on this.

I'm busy with all kinds of other things at the moment, but I already decided on what kind of map I want to make for this one! It would be a semi-realistic one inspired by Thomas van der Velden's Revolution.

Sounds good! I was going to finish a map I started planning years ago, but will probably just do another 1 week map near the deadline like last year.

Is it possible to change rule number 3 to not be required to have jumping in the map? I mean jumping can be enabled but why does it have to be necessary to have parts where its required?