Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tyockell

Question about balastics dunno if its already been asked

Does anyone know or have heard weather or not weapons will be able to shoot through walls/doors or objects ect in doom 3 ??

I don't think it could be possible to shoot through walls and door. I mean, it's not Red Faction where 3/4 of the game is passed in a mine. Blasting high tech metal walls and surely bullet-proof door would be kinda wierd. And what fun would there be to shoot throught walls and find only rock ?

As for the objects, the illegal vid shows the player shoots a box and it falls on the ground, what I don't know is if it can be destroyed.

The scripts have no parameters related to texture/geometry tolerance, but everything indicates bullets and other projectiles can be reflected by surfaces.

I tried to make it more evident by fucking up with those text files but I didn't get any conclusive proof. It seemed to work best with the shotgun but the spread cone made it hard to judge. Well, it's just an alpha anyway, but the code is there already.

Alientank said:

I don't think so. Shooting glass should be an option though. As well as boxes off shelves etc.

The second one is true, dunno about the first one. I'd imagine that windows on mars would be made of something more durable than glass, otherwise that would bring some pretty unfortunate accidents =P. Then again there were broken windows in some of the maps.

nxn said:

The second one is true, dunno about the first one. I'd imagine that windows on mars would be made of something more durable than glass, otherwise that would bring some pretty unfortunate accidents =P. Then again there were broken windows in some of the maps.

Well there could be beakers, etc to shoot. Windows that are on the outer walls of the base could be made of unbreakable glass though.

hmm.. it would be sweat if enemy's could break trough doors etc.... immagine yourself looking trough a window next to a door and you look into this hallway and seeing a shadow projected at the wall.. and an pinky quikly jumps out of nothing running towards the door and you see the door bend and being bashed etc.. and you quikly shoot at the door and you hear the pinky demon roaring and grawling until its dead :)

HAMMER-STROKE said:

hmm.. it would be sweat if enemy's could break trough doors etc....

Uh, you mean like in the E3 demo when the pinky DOES break through a wall?

gatewatcher said:

Scripted sequence. No doubt they had to do the animation for the pipes, etc. If they do have a physics system built in though that basically whenever a monster hits a wall or something, and the wall rips open around their shape that would be cool.

gatewatcher said:

Yes, but he probably means non-scripted doorbreaking stuff. Which is most likely not going to happen.

Even if it DOESNT happen, the portal based doom 3 engine CAN do it, especially with the 100% dynamic systems of light and sound

Well all im saying is they better have some shit in there thats totaly fucking nuts for the amount of time there taking.

Are the videos of the graphics and detail we've seen not 'totaly fucking nuts' enough for you?

Interactivity = gimmicks
Gameplay = primarily immersiveness and weapon/enemy feel

...imho.

interactiviy can give immersion to player as well.of course too much and useless interactivity can reduce immersion(Like id guy has said about it in PCgamer article).

Dark-tenshi said:

interactiviy can give immersion to player as well.of course too much and useless interactivity can reduce immersion(Like id guy has said about it in PCgamer article).

Quite right.