Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chemo

Is anybody else seriously IN LOVE with Eternal?

Fucking absolutely. Doom Eternal is such an amazing experience. With the pulse pounding action and rocking soundtrack as you fight the hordes of hell. Playing Doom Eternal brought me back to the first time I played Doom back in 1993. The gameplay is at neck break speed where it really tests your reflexes (especially on higher difficulties). The game is really fun once you get used to the mechanics of the combat dance. The level design is truly amazing and I thoroughly enjoyed each chapter especially Super Gore Nest, Arc Complex, Mars Core. Truly outstanding levels with epic visual designs. And I really like the striking art direction of everything.

I have already beat the game once, I’m going back for more. I can see myself getting a lot replays out of this game. Congrats to the folks at id Software, they really crafted something special here. I look forward to future content!

I do like it a lot.

I think Hugo and Martin did something no one else wanted to do, bring back the arcade feeling in videogames. They made a specific choice. We want this game to be arcade. 

The criticism I move them it's that they tried to go full arcade but shoehorn in a pseudo serious story. Personally I liked much more that sequence they presented in the trailer with doomguy walking on Phobos like a boss instead of what we got in the finished game.

2020 is a golden year for FPS games. On one side you have the arcade-y dimension of doom eternal, from the other side, you have the atmospheric VR experience of half life alyx.

Choose your poison, but I know which one is mine.

49 minutes ago, Kaos said:

The criticism I move them it's that they tried to go full arcade but shoehorn in a pseudo serious story.

I think that's kind of the point. It's trying to emulate (read; not parody) cheesy B-movies where you have all these ridiculous elements put alongside attempts at melodrama. This is the sort of tone I feel when I play classic DOOM.

Don't know. If they go full arcade, why having the third person sequences? I liked more the doom 2016 solution, where all the (few) cutscenes where played in first person.

Also they could have don better with the way weapons get acquired.

Anyway I wonder if this is the end of doom for this cycle or they can still produce something else and continue to innovate. I feel like we are at the endgame, where they could not do another doom game without repeating themselves.

27 minutes ago, JuanchoES said:

its the best shooter i ever played :D

Don't make these kind of threads or they might call you a bethesda shill

The platforming is fun once you get good at it and learn exactly far you can move through the air. I'd find it a lot more irritating if falling down into a bottomless pit resulted in reloading from a checkpoint, but I think id Software have been very careful about making their game challenging but not frustrating.

Speaking of frustration, the Marauder is hard as balls to fight but still fun, at least on Hurt Me Plenty. I see some people complaining about how he "rUiNs tHe PacInG", but I thought that the whole point of introducing this super-badass enemy at a fairly late stage in the game was to shake things up a bit? I think the Marauder does a very good job at preventing the player from becoming complacent. Simply being aggressive won't work, he's too good at parrying your assaults. He's fast but he opens himself up when he takes a swing at you. Learn to abuse that, and even an unskilled scrub like me can regularly beat Lord Saltington of Hell in a 1v1 battle.

The overall design strikes me as being a combination of old-school sensibilities combined with modern graphics technology, and that's an unusual combination that may account for all the complaints about the game being colourful and cartoonish. Imagine if someone had remade Duke Nukem 2 into a first-person shooter, but kept all the wacky video game stuff like live turkeys you can shoot to turn into roasted turkeys to give you more health, bright colours and bonuses, and added a whole bunch of upgrade systems on top. Add in some cheesy melodramatic cutscenes, like in DN2 where they had story screens in which the alien leader tells Duke, Bond-villain style, of his plans to turn our hero's brain into a war computer, and you've got something kinda like Doom Eternal in tone.

Personally I love it. There are already plenty of single-player FPS experiences that are srs bsns grit-a-thons with angsty characters and boring colour palettes.

Absolutely LOVE the game. It's fast become a favorite. It does demand you play it properly, but as I've said in the past, some of the most memorable games are like that anyhow. Heck, most old-school games are that way.  Counter-Strike, Thief, even to some extent Doom 3 itself all have clear rules of the play that you follow , or else have a hard time. The brilliant stroke here; how all the rules feed into the core game play, almost nothing feeling arbitrary and disconnected. 

All that is without touching on how this is perhaps the single fastest FPS game I have played in ages, possibly ever. Really keen to see what comes next in the DLC's. 

Oh, and this is a minor thing but, I'm very happy with the way that the Slayer quickly deals with the Hell Priests without saying a word, despite their desperate entreaties and smug self-assurance. It reminded me of something that one of my favourite authors, now sadly passed, wrote once in his novels:

“Something Vimes had learned as a young guard drifted up from memory. If you have to look along the shaft of an arrow from the wrong end, if a man has you entirely at his mercy, then hope like hell that man is an evil man. Because the evil like power, power over people, and they want to see you in fear. They want you to know you're going to die. So they'll talk. They'll gloat.

They'll watch you squirm. They'll put off the moment of murder like another man will put off a good cigar.

So hope like hell your captor is an evil man. A good man will kill you with hardly a word.”

Terry Pratchett, Men at Arms

The feel of the game is much more developed from the previous one and it's immediately apparent right at the start. The combat has less emphasis on arenas and now there are difficult and interesting challenges in transitional spaces. The hazards like flaming spinners, purple/green goop are totally in the spirit of id/classic shooters and make the game stand out in a really good way.

The score is also really good, for both the action and ambient parts. And I was constantly hearing music from the classic Doom games in there.

And of course, the game is visually stunning. Lots of awesome environments and set pieces to stop and stare at, not to mention the characters and animations.

12 minutes ago, GuyMcBrofist said:

The feel of the game is much more developed from the previous one and it's immediately apparent right at the start. The combat has less emphasis on arenas and now there are difficult and interesting challenges in transitional spaces. The hazards like flaming spinners, purple/green goop are totally in the spirit of id/classic shooters and make the game stand out in a really good way.

The score is also really good, for both the action and ambient parts. And I was constantly hearing music from the classic Doom games in there.

And of course, the game is visually stunning. Lots of awesome environments and set pieces to stop and stare at, not to mention the characters and animations.

I agree in all points except that in some ways, although I think the overall level design was a more open, varied and vertical, I don't feel like there was any single level as non-linear and complex layout-wise as Foundry or.... ah, I can't remember its name. The large open level in 2016 with a mixture of bases and caves -- that's probably loads of them, hahah. I felt DE was generally very point to point, to the degree that I really enjoyed having a bit more freedom in Super Gore Nest and Urdak.

Another thing I love about Doom Eternal is the loading times. Holy fuck are they fast. Why aren't all games like this?  The engine team have done an incredible job.

I agree. Let's keep this train going. This is my dream game. Bad ass, kill demons, gothic architecture, ultra powerful protagonist, plays like a 3rd person character action game, amazing game devs I support, difficult but rewarding/engaging, future add on content planned...i could go on and on. 

at first i was kinda put off bc the rhythm is different than 2016 and the ammo seems so limited at first, but once you get going its a ton of fun. 

best things about the game are the visual design of the levels, and the refined horde combat. 

this is a game that requires a couple playthroughs to really get whats going on. 

now we just need that creepy, atmospheric quake 1 reboot. 

It's an incredible experience from start to finish and I honestly can't stop playing. The combat loop is so addictive, and the level design is just stellar. Even the platforming is quite addictive once you get the hang of it. It's just the perfect evolution of the original Doom games.

So I'm keep play this game slowly, I started on UV and I'm going to muscle trough this with trials and errors. There is a dark soulish feel to it, where some encounters make me want to bang my head on the wall. I'm at the cultist base and I swore like hell (to remain on topic) in the section in the pit with the cueballs and the 2 mancubus. But once you conquer these encounters it makes you feel on top of the world and I notice how I've been sitting, how tense these encounters are and how this game make you pump adrenaline. 

I did hate a couple of lava arena in the second level and I can't understand why sometimes I get stuck in something (I don't remember this happening in doom 2016), but more this game get played and better it becomes.

Truly love this game. I’ve played the classic Doom games and 2016 a lot and I can’t say this is better than the OGs , but I do have more fun in it, and I do think it’s better than 2016.

Like others, I didn’t like the lack of ammunition at the start and when I first met the Whiplash on Cultist Base, I was cursing myself for being too dumb and unable to keep track of everything that was going on, but once you start to get a grip on it? Wow, it’s exhilarating.

I’ve beat it twice on HMP (still working out upgrade paths, runes, controller settings, enemy weaknesses, and just getting better overall), but I’m eventually going to try it on UN.

While I’ve spent a lot of time playing Doom games and some other classic FPSs, I play a lot of fighting games (Street Fighter, etc), but nothing is as adrenaline pumping as this. I honestly wonder how much this is going to mess up my desire to play other games.

I do hope they add a traditional deathmatch in at some point though. I haven’t tried Battle Mode yet, but because of how the mode is, I don’t want to play it until I feel like I’m really good... If it was 10-15 idiots running around in a room, I wouldn’t mind hopping in right now. Battle Mode does look fun though, but I’d only really want to play as the Slayer or Marauder (depending on if he is as mobile as the Slayer anyway).

i can’t wait for the Invasion / Empowered Demons though. I’m going to spend a lot of time on that.

Edited by Mattatsu

On 3/29/2020 at 6:40 PM, User Name said:

Going back to find all the secrets and extras that I missed during my initial play. Super pumped for this! Doom Eternal is triumphant.

This is the first game that when I happened to get stumped on finding a secret I was totally fine with it. I was fine with it because I was already 200% ready for the next playthrough before I was even halfway through the game :)

I always thought the Gargoyles were an homage to either Heretic/Hexen, those Doom 64 statues or Blood, but now i can see Spear of Destiny being another influence too.

maxresdefault.jpg

Can't stop playing it. First run was on HMP, second was ITYTD because I was going for the extra life mode and Can't Perfect Perfection challenges, and I just finished a 100% UV run last night.

Beat it on UV and I'm on my second UV run. This game is fantastic! And it's pretty easy once you develop a strategy how to quickly take out heavy and dangerous demons. SSG combined with Ballista + Blood Punch does wonders. And quick weapon swithing is a key to victory! I almost feel bad for these demons now. Also I've mastered the platforming and now I almost love these sections. Going to beat it a few more times on UV and then it's Nightmare time.

Edited by Enforcer

It's one of the best shooters I've ever played (top 5, easily), so yes.  From a gameplay standpoint it absolutely curbstomps 2016.