Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LtAkilla

Whats the best classic doom game?

Can we just stop with variations of the exact same question over and over?

Its Doom2. Everyone knows this.

Doom 64 and Final Doom (and Doom RPGs!) are worthy entries in the Classic Doom category.

For me, Doom 64. But, seconding Redneckerz. I would be fine if this only get asked each 1-2 months.

Edited by TheNoob_Gamer

16 hours ago, LtAkilla said:

sorry redneckerz im new to doomworld didnt know people ask this question alot

The search might be broken, but you can look around. 

Please assume that questions that start with "What's the best/worst" have been answered already. :)

Edited by Redneckerz

Hallo,

If you never heared about DooM before and want to play it for yourself you can try the free shareware version of the game available from the download section.

MfG

10 hours ago, KickAss said:

Hallo,

If you never heared about DooM before and want to play it for yourself you can try the free shareware version of the game available from the download section.

MfG

ive heard of doom i have been playing for 6 years

Ultimate Doom. It has, in my opinion, the best mapset of all the official releases. Doom 2 has the super shotgun but some of the maps gets really ridiculous. There is a metric ton of monster closets and traps in Doom 2 wich can get old after a while.

4 minutes ago, Dashyr89 said:

Ultimate Doom. It has, in my opinion, the best mapset of all the official releases. Doom 2 has the super shotgun but some of the maps gets really ridiculous. There is a metric ton of monster closets and traps in Doom 2 wich can get old after a while.

doom 2 is good but the level design isnt that good

2 minutes ago, LtAkilla said:

doom 2 is good but the level design isnt that good

Doom 2 is good only for the SSG and the new monsters. 

But, I do like some of the maps... but not all. Most are meh. But, I like the one called Tricks and Traps. I know I complained about traps but that map does it well. It makes you think and approach fights differently. But, overall Doom 2 is quite a let down.

The general consensus is that Ultimate Doom has better atmosphere and more cohesive level design, while Doom 2 has better enemies and of course, the SSG.

3 hours ago, lazy91geek said:

The general consensus is that Ultimate Doom has better atmosphere and more cohesive level design, while Doom 2 has better enemies and of course, the SSG.

exactly

13 hours ago, LtAkilla said:

ive heard of doom i have been playing for 6 years

Hallo,

I thought this could be useful if someone "new" read this, nevermind!

MfG

12 hours ago, KickAss said:

Hallo,

I thought this could be useful if someone "new" read this, nevermind!

MfG

its ok 

I think Doom II is really the fan-favorite, and it's definitely the go-to base for mods, but as just a game in itself, my preference is always The Ultimate Doom. The level design is perhaps the most significant factor in this, in terms of both map-design and environmental-design. They're both a step up from Doom II's very haphazard, void-like maps full of mindless wandering, which have very little detail in them. There's a good flow to the original Doom's archetecture. It's generally quite clear where any paths are that you haven't taken yet. Doom II on the other hand has levels like Downtown and The Citadel; both of which still drive me nuts to this day.

The balance of metal and haunting music also sets the mood pretty great, whereas Doom II has this lukewarm soundtrack of neither (aside from Opening to Hell).