Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BBQgiraffe

Nitemare 3D Reverse Engineer

sorry for the lack of updates lol, thanks to the whole quarantine thing, I can't go to school or work so most of my day is just OpenNitemare3D +watching Brooklyn 99

hey so suuuper sorry for the people that followed this, I legitimate forgot about the entire project, also I kind of got my discord account and the email account linked to it hacked so I'm going to have to create a new one, anyways I'm going to spend a few days trying to clean up the code a bit so that I can put it on GitHub

Edited by BBQgiraffe

8 minutes ago, InDOOMnesia said:

Oof

yeah sorry that's all I can say as of now

Oof indeed my friend

sorry for the lack of updates I've been swamped with work and other projects, I added map loading, binaries are on the first post

4 hours ago, BBQgiraffe said:

OH FUCK I LEFT std::cout << "cock\n"; IN THE CODE WHEN I COMMITED IT

static fuck = 0;

// For debugging only
if (      fl->a.x < 0 || fl->a.x >= f_w
       || fl->a.y < 0 || fl->a.y >= f_h
       || fl->b.x < 0 || fl->b.x >= f_w
       || fl->b.y < 0 || fl->b.y >= f_h)
{
   fprintf(stderr, "fuck %d \r", fuck++);
   return;
}

man it's been almost a fucking year, anyways I opened the repository for the first time in almost a year and man my code back then was extremely shit (case in point read main.cpp), anyways I'm working on rewriting this whole thing in C# since C++ is a language for masochists, I can whip a raycaster up in a few days and I'm working on getting the assets to read based on the docs I wrote like 2 years ago, using SFML this time because SDL2 sucks, new Twitter and Discord are in README.MD on the GitHub, if you're skilled in reverse engineering please contact me on Twitter or Discord because I still kind of suck at that

-BBQ

result of a few hours of work, I had to write my own PCX importer because SFML doesn't have one, also some midi using MeltySynth(a bit glitchy so I might switch to a different library) also working on writing a bitmap font reader and IMG reader, I'm absolutly amazed at how stupid I had to be when I first started since it took me months to get to this current point, what a fucking idiot

Oh wow, I remember playing this game on my grandmother's computer 20-odd years ago. The title was lost to memory a looooooooooooooooooong time ago, but I always remembered the HUD and the blue handgun that could turn enemies in to flowerpots rather than killing them. Nice to finally be able to put a name to that memory. So charmingly crap and ugly, just classic DOS trash. Now I want to see Civvie11 make a video on this thing heh.

43 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

Oh wow, I remember playing this game on my grandmother's computer 20-odd years ago. The title was lost to memory a looooooooooooooooooong time ago, but I always remembered the HUD and the blue handgun that could turn enemies in to flowerpots rather than killing them. Nice to finally be able to put a name to that memory. So charmingly crap and ugly, just classic DOS trash. Now I want to see Civvie11 make a video on this thing heh.

I really hope someone like Civvie11 makes a video on it lol the games community is basically nonexistent

On 7/9/2021 at 11:26 PM, BBQgiraffe said:

I'm absolutly amazed at how stupid I had to be when I first started since it took me months to get to this current point, what a fucking idiot

Heh, that just means you learned a great deal along the way.

In any case, there's no source code and very little documentation on the technology that runs this game, so it certainly isn't a trivial task to make a source port for it.

It's good to see you having fun with it again.

2 hours ago, Arno said:

Heh, that just means you learned a great deal along the way.

In any case, there's no source code and very little documentation on the technology that runs this game, so it certainly isn't a trivial task to make a source port for it.

It's good to see you having fun with it again.

yeah lol it's a lot easier to have fun with a project when you're using a language that isn't an absolute Nitemare

also going to upload the newest, most complete version to github when I finish implementing special tiles(doors, stairs, etc) hopefully tonight or sometime tomorrow

I was scratching my head trying to figure out how to load special tiles when I realized that I can parse enums from strings using the data in WALLS.X

Screenshot from 2021-07-11 14-53-13.png

Screenshot from 2021-07-11 14-53-10.png

I only ever played the shareware version but I remember this game well for what it was.  Reverse engineering anything (especially closed source or black box designed) is an enormous effort from someone who is also in the middle of engaging in a similar endeavor.  Keep up the awesome, awesome work!

still working on the walls, I have about half the tiles implemented, going to attempt getting secret panels and curtains implemented tonight

Screenshot from 2021-07-12 15-04-56.png