Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
phase3

Doom Eternal's Deathmatch Shaped Hole

On 3/22/2020 at 5:30 PM, DoodGuy said:

It runs bad, has no playerbase, and doesn't feel like Quake. It's not a reason for Doom Eternal to not have deathmatch.

Quake Champions is literally the reason as to why DOOM Eternal doesn't have conventional multiplayer.

Considering QC is all but dead and forgotten outside of a couple hundred of people, and Doom Eternal has the franchise's strongest opening week sales...I do not think shunting MP to Quake was a smart decision in the slightest. 

35 minutes ago, TheRedTide said:

Quake Champions is literally the reason as to why DOOM Eternal doesn't have conventional multiplayer.

Spoiler

idiothugo.png.de6a34b1d5dd1fa5f1aace180ab9f200.png

6 hours ago, TheRedTide said:

Misused "literally" there.  

Quake Champions isn't even on console because of "no limitations." Yeah, a game that has microtransactions, lacks content, and has no actual single player is considered a title with no limits. Consoles need more old-school first person shooters. PC has been getting them, so why not consoles? The days of GoldenEye 64, Turok, Perfect Dark, and Timesplitters are gone and instead we get military shooters and battle royale titles. I hope Eternal will make devs want to develop more shooters like it on all platforms.

6 hours ago, corizeus said:
  Reveal hidden contents

idiothugo.png.de6a34b1d5dd1fa5f1aace180ab9f200.png

Replace Hugo with Todd or Pete Hines and this picture would make sense.

2 minutes ago, The Civ said:

Replace Hugo with Todd or Pete Hines and this picture would make sense.

Hugo is the creative director at Id, he's the guy to blame. Todd Howard leads Bethesda Game Studios, blame him for Fallout 76. Or just any Fallout after 3. Pete Hines is in marketing, he has no power over the fate of Doom. He just sells the turd.

16 minutes ago, The Strife Commando said:

Quake Champions isn't even on console because of "no limitations." Yeah, a game that has microtransactions, lacks content, and has no actual single player is considered a title with no limits. Consoles need more old-school first person shooters. PC has been getting them, so why not consoles? The days of GoldenEye 64, Turok, Perfect Dark, and Timesplitters are gone and instead we get military shooters and battle royale titles. I hope Eternal will make devs want to develop more shooters like it on all platforms.

That's mostly because it doesn't work well with a controller.  The same reason Counter Strike was abandoned by the devs on console.  Back in the day Quake 3 was on Dreamcast and you could play with PC players.  Unless you had the Dreamcast keyboard and mouse you were getting absolutely destroyed.  They can get away with cross-platform Fortnite and similar games because they don't require as much precision in every facet of the game play (precise movement, timing, aiming, etc).  But Quake Champions they wanted to be an esport and it wouldn't be entertaining watching cross-hairs slowly drag across the screen and just the awkwardness of everything on console.  And I think they were aiming for high monitor HZ and console games are typically only 60fps/hz.

53 minutes ago, Flesh420 said:

That's mostly because it doesn't work well with a controller.  The same reason Counter Strike was abandoned by the devs on console.  Back in the day Quake 3 was on Dreamcast and you could play with PC players.  Unless you had the Dreamcast keyboard and mouse you were getting absolutely destroyed.  They can get away with cross-platform Fortnite and similar games because they don't require as much precision in every facet of the game play (precise movement, timing, aiming, etc).  But Quake Champions they wanted to be an esport and it wouldn't be entertaining watching cross-hairs slowly drag across the screen and just the awkwardness of everything on console.  And I think they were aiming for high monitor HZ and console games are typically only 60fps/hz.

Quake can work well on consoles. See, I'm an expert with controllers, so I have no issues with playing Quake using them.

Just now, The Strife Commando said:

Quake can work well on consoles. See, I'm an expert with controllers, so I have no issues with playing Quake using them.

jesus, i'd hate to be your fingers

11 minutes ago, corizeus said:

jesus, i'd hate to be your fingers

What do you mean?

It depends on who plays. Obviously PC players will have trouble playing fps games with a controller, with the exception of those who play PC shooters with a controller.

Edited by The Strife Commando

I have a feeling the Singleplayer gameflow wouldn't translate well at all into a traditional multiplayer component. You'd have to do some major rebalancing acts and that's exactly what was done for Doom 2016, yet people hated it.

8 hours ago, corizeus said:

Hugo is the creative director at Id, he's the guy to blame. Todd Howard leads Bethesda Game Studios

You underestaimate how much power publishers have over their studios.

If todd didnt want MP then id has no choice but to comply or risk issues with higher ups.

Its the reason why DICE couldnt keep Microtransactions from Battelfront, because the publisher said so.

7 minutes ago, jazzmaster9 said:

You underestaimate how much power publishers have over their studios.

If todd didnt want MP then id has no choice but to comply or risk issues with higher ups.

Its the reason why DICE couldnt keep Microtransactions from Battelfront, because the publisher said so.

Bethesda Softworks published Doom Eternal, not Bethesda Game Studios. BGS is the developer of the Elder Scrolls, and is OWNED by Bethesda Softworks, who is led by Robert A. Altman (the guy in the meme who isn't Hugo). Todd Howard (BGS CEO) has exactly 0% direct control of id.

16 hours ago, Dr. Cheesesteak said:

Misused "literally" there.  

Ask Zenimax's management if you doubt me. They axed conventional multiplayer from Doom Eternal because Zenimax wants people to go play Quake Champions, they're ready to abandon it yet.

Edited by TheRedTide

6 hours ago, Doom64hunter said:

I have a feeling the Singleplayer gameflow wouldn't translate well at all into a traditional multiplayer component. You'd have to do some major rebalancing acts and that's exactly what was done for Doom 2016, yet people hated it.

What they've done was add loadouts to the game.

32 minutes ago, corizeus said:

Bethesda Softworks published Doom Eternal, not Bethesda Game Studios. BGS is the developer of the Elder Scrolls, and is OWNED by Bethesda Softworks, who is led by Robert A. Altman (the guy in the meme who isn't Hugo). Todd Howard (BGS CEO) has exactly 0% direct control of id.

Point still stands though, Hugo only follows what the publisher says, I doubt he had anything to do with removing traditional multiplayer in Doom since he's always been a fan of those.

Quake Champions and Doom 2016's MP flopped hard and i think Bethesda are done risking another Multiplayer failure.

1 hour ago, jazzmaster9 said:

Point still stands though, Hugo only follows what the publisher says, I doubt he had anything to do with removing traditional multiplayer in Doom since he's always been a fan of those.

Quake Champions and Doom 2016's MP flopped hard and i think Bethesda are done risking another Multiplayer failure.

it's a meme bro let's not make a mountain out of a molehill

1 hour ago, corizeus said:

it's a meme bro let's not make a mountain out of a molehill

but it makes sense though, multiplayer wouldn't just be cut for no reason.

10 hours ago, jazzmaster9 said:

but it makes sense though, multiplayer wouldn't just be cut for no reason.

never said it was for no reason

It is an interesting topic for sure. I think the thing is, like people have mentioned, they may have to outsource multiplayer again like they did last time. Since id working long hours for close to 4 years gives us this well polished single player campaign, this is generally how they do it these days. Another team doing it doesn't mean it couldn't be great, but single player is the main attraction.

And I think that's cool, since most FPS devs go the other way and only focus on multiplayer. That said, I do think some DM and stuff like that would be cool. Granted they do have a multiplayer mode. At least I myself don't find the strategic playing as demons elements quite as inviting though.

It seems you either have a big epic single player experience, a multiplayer focused game, or you have enough resources to pretty much have two full teams making both.

DM could've been cool. Maybe to have it so fragging other players is your main source of resources, you'd just end up with a game with way higher kill/death numbers than other shooters. Or even just hitting somebody could drop stuff. And that would lend to a frantic fast paced feeling DM match. And could include a last man standing mode, with stuff like bonuses for slaying so it's not just hiding for a while, and some PvE co-op, etc.

tl;dr, I think more stuff is good, but I can see why it's not always included like it would've been in the 90s and early 2000s. And agreed stuff like Quake Champions should be on consoles too.

Edited by PsychoGoatee