Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LadyVader1138

Combat Shotgun vs. Super Shotgun

So, for about a third of the game, the combat shotgun was my primary weapon. Then, I got my hands of the super shotgun and I fully upgraded it, making it an amazing weapon.

So I just have a question to other people: does the combat shotgun even have a purpose after you fully upgrade the super shotgun?

Depends on the situation. Farther away from enemies I’ll launch a combat shotgun explosive shot, but up close I’ll use the SSG. 

I never use the triple shot mod on the combat shotgun though. In Eternal they are replacing it with a Gatling mod that looks badass.

I found the explosive shot mod on the CS remained pretty relevant through to the end of the game, for the distance factor as bj25x said. Explosive shots can be really handy for guaranteeing a kill on a staggered demon that isn't close enough (or safe enough) to glory kill, given how fast the grenade launches, the low arc, and the damage (especially useful for staggered Cacos).

The CS is a lot more of a tactical weapon. The SSG is muscle. I use the CS to mop up groups of weaker enemies, owing to its grenade ability and general accuracy. I'll use the SSG to take on heavier enemies.

This accuracy element I'm going to start incorporating in my playthroughs now, though I'm probably gonna stick with the SSG as it feels soooooo good!

I never really used the SSG all that much in Doom 4. You can get the shotgun's grenade shot on the first map, and upgrading it provides you with useful explosive ranged damage (Heck, I used this way more than even the Rocket Launcher). Plus you can find the Heavy Machine Gun, Plasma Rifle, and Rocket Launcher all before you ever come across the SSG. To me the SSG feels pretty underwhelming. The challenge upgrade is nice in making a pseudo-quad shotgun out of it, but you chew through ammo ridiculously fast, even when maxed out at 60 shells.

Sure, infinite ammo does exist, but by the point you unlock it, you'd be just plain stupid not to use Gauss Cannon Siege Mode, because it's way more powerful and ranged than the SSG can ever hope to be.

Massive Super Shotgun user myself once upgraded.

As others said the Combat Shotgun is great for the grenade launcher and good to use when you master the weapon swap mechanic.

To be fair after I'd fully upgraded that SSG I hardly used anything else. Its an absolute BEAST.

I used it quite a bit for the grenade function, but once I got the mini-missiles for the HMG, I stopped using it. Especially once I got the infinite ammo upgrade, the HMG is a beast. And then the siege mode for the chaingun. And then the quad fire for the SSG. The guns get so fucking overpowered in Doom 4. 

Well, it all depends on combat style, if you need to run em up close and personal, go for the SSG, they're better with the Uranium coating and eventually the double fire. The combat shotgun is still worth using solely because of the explosive shot. I never used the charged burst i just thought of it as a waste of ammo, and it was always better to fire grenade like shots from a distance, but anyway it depends upon the scenario and your preferences.

C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER! Pro tip, use both in conjunction. Comboing them brings some disgusting dps. As for either or, combat will alwayys out range the SSG and ssg is always going to out damage the combat shotgun in over all dps. Now The combat shotgun has some really nice burst to it, so even if you're not dexterous enough to be switching weapons all the time (some people aren't, and that's ok) The combat shotgun always has use.

Wanted to pitch in and say the 12g Hand Cannon--er, SSG. Once you've mastered it and fully upgrade it, you never want to go back to using the Combat Shotgun again.

super shotgun is good but in some ways combat is better but once you fully upgrade the double barrel the combat shotgun is useless unless you want to try to use the explosive shot again.

I use both as the super shotgun is a good around gun the combat shotgun with its explosive add-ons is really good for one shooting imps and it makes a Possessed soldier go in to the quick time and makes the Possessed security less of an asshole so its still a reliable weapon even further on.

I used the combat shotty a lot in the beginning of the game but once I got the rocket launcher and I upgraded it I used the combat shotgun far less.

So, the CS/SS in 2016 are pretty much complementary, just like the SG/SSG in Doom2? Who knew!

I unlocked all the upgrades for the Super Shotgun pretty late in the game, so it took me a long time to appreciate just how broken it is. Total cheese cannon. Fun though.

Even after that I still find the grenade launcher on the Combat Shotgun very useful. Never found a use for the triple shot mod.