Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BBQgiraffe

Coronavirus pandemic chat [no medical advice plz]

what's your thoughts on the Coronavirus?  

259 members have voted

1. 1. how concerned are you about the Coronavirus?

• it's nothing to worry about
    • it's not that dangerous
    • it's a bit concerning
    • this is rather alarming
    • this could lead to disaster
    • this could lead to disaster and world governments are being idiots about it
    • Walking Dead but not as cool
    • I don't care

59 minutes ago, seed said:

Which in turn, depending on how they're treated, shows whether the employer sees their employees as people or mere tools for profit.

Sadly. I don't think most employers care if their employees know they'll be treated like shit and discarded to save some money. Some even treat people like shit during the interview, because they know they'll get away with it and people have no choice if they want to survive.

I'm a few weeks into "mostly staying at home" now and I think I stand by my vote for "It's a bit concerning" and my original comments WRT being more concerned for my older relatives than for myself. Perhaps I'm flippantly disregarding a lot of deaths and much more suffering, as well as the resource pressures, but we've all been shown that the worst of it could have been avoided and the curve could've been flattened if people weren't so fucking stupid and selfish. It's not difficult to stay indoors for most of us. It's certainly not difficult to not crowd into public spaces, or only buy what we need to buy in rare trips to the shops. It's trivially easy to not be a dickhead and abuse people who have to go out and do their jobs to keep the country running...

Yet here we are. The disease is a bit concerning for me, personally, as somebody I know might get it in a serious way. The society it's thriving in? That's the problem.

I'm sure we won't learn, too. One day soon, whoever in the cabinet that isn't too ill to read the announcement will tell us all that the lockdown has been escalated and will continue for months. That the NHS is now officially overwhelmed and that there will be many deaths that could have been avoided. By then, as a collective, we'll only have ourselves to blame. I was going to say "The UK" can stand in front of the mirror and see the culprit, but in all honesty, I rather suspect we could just say "England".

Still, as they say: "I'm alright, Jack!"

Edited by Phobus

1 hour ago, Pegg said:

Sadly. I don't think most employers care if their employees know they'll be treated like shit and discarded to save some money. Some even treat people like shit during the interview, because they know they'll get away with it and people have no choice if they want to survive.

Too bad I got some 20+ years experience of being treated like a dirtbag... I was planning on applying for another job this year after the last failed attempt, but now with Corona at large it's probably not happening anymore...

Lack of money and not having my own home is slowly driving me insane, and the isolation is only making things worse for me now, no more space, privacy, and silence...

6 hours ago, seed said:

Too bad I got some 20+ years experience of being treated like a dirtbag... I was planning on applying for another job this year after the last failed attempt, but now with Corona at large it's probably not happening anymore...

Lack of money and not having my own home is slowly driving me insane, and the isolation is only making things worse for me now, no more space, privacy, and silence...

Lets share a condo together. Same story here.

And i was about to start in a hospital.. haha.

1 hour ago, Redneckerz said:

Lets share a condo together. Same story here.

And i was about to start in a hospital.. haha.

Oh wow, now that's morbidly ironic to be honest, that's one way for life to tell one "no." I guess.

I'd be fine with this :p, almost anything is better than living in an oppressive environment...

47 minutes ago, seed said:

Oh wow, now that's morbidly ironic to be honest, that's one way for life to tell one "no." I guess.

I'd be fine with this :p, almost anything is better than living in an oppressive environment...

I mean i am still hired, its just that my current health (Rather intense coughing, cold) prohibit me from starting.

Well, that's a deal then. Do note that i will take up most of your side of the building for Doom related work and i will tell you that your avatar sucks by the daily.

If that's fine with you, then we can work something out ;)

Things I've noticed throughout this pandemic:

* Media focus is entirely on disaster. Italy and Spain starting to see progress with their new infections? Death rates starting to drop in the hardest-hit parts of Europe? UK not looking to be the nightmare zone they expected? Better post dozens of articles about how the EU is going to collapse, Italy is going to riot, nurses are being murdered, Italy's deaths are at their highest level (even though that happened two days ago). By the same token the media seems to be warmongering. This is NOT the time to be talking about sanctions and judgement, this is a time for fighting the virus. We are NOT going to go straight into a world war after this pandemic is stopped.

* Media articles are consistently being updated to make yesterday's news look like it happened today.

* Every time a new country starts getting hit, the articles start about how the death rate is under-reported, etc. This happened in China, happened in Italy, now it's starting to happen in the UK. 

* Worldometers is little more than a panic site. It gives up to date infections, up to date deaths, but makes it hard to calculate the number of recoveries each day. I have only seen recoveries specifically mentioned once, yesterday, where it mentioned Italy had 1500+ new recoveries, its most in a single day. Recoveries currently seem to be outpacing deaths per day, but their death rate is showing 18%.

* Many, many people seem to have already had Covid-19 around the Christmas period. I know elderly people, and vulnerable people, and healthy people, who I am 99% sure recovered from Covid-19, most of them without medical assistance. My sister and my best mate's sister appear to have had Covid-19 in December to January. My sister recently had to have her appendix out, the doctors said it was the nastiest-looking appendix they've ever seen but could not explain how it got like that and could not find evidence that it was linked to her underlying health condition. My mate's sister has kidney problems, and after she recovered from the Covid-like illness, doctors found her kidneys had decreased in function by a further 25% but couldn't find a reason why. My physiotherapist recently recovered from bronchitis which "came out of nowhere" and an 80 year old relative said he recovered from "some kind of pneumonia" which he has never experienced before.

Yep Worldometer death percentages are pretty stupid for a disease that's new and isn't cured yet. Calculating deaths out of closed cases when the majority are listed as mild cases, no thanks.

The best tracker I have come across so far is https://ncov2019.live/

And yes, since Covid-19 is quite flu like, the possibility that you or millions of others already had it or have it, is very high. That makes the search for "patient 0" so difficult / unnecessary. Patient 0 in Wuhan is now to believed to be a 57 year old shrimp seller. But who knows which asymptomatic person gave it to her before. It's impossible to find out.

But that's also what makes some guidelines seem rather stupid, like "healthy people don't need to wear masks". No, they do, because even healthy people can spread it, so why not wear a mask (if available)? It doesn't protect a 100 %, but let's say it protects 50 %, then that's already way better than to just infect a lot of people or being infected yourself. Now imagine other people also all wear masks, then the probability of infection is lowered additionally. There really seems to be a culture war regarding those masks. Whereas in Asia EVERYONE is wearing them, the west kind of refuses to wear them at all, even in the midsts of the more severe outbreaks. Yes, they are not available everywhere, but I think with the right focus they could have been procured. Well, easier than ventilators at least, I guess.

57 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

Just got laid off. Anyone wanna press F to pay respects? 

Spoiler

tenor.gif

I'm gonna be in a similar situation soon

My biggest concern right now is how life is gonna be with living with others who also cannot leave their homes. Slowly but surely the more unemployed, older generation who have all but retired are being needlessly demanding of people like me to continue working, as if they don't care about my health. In my case I can't go to the schools I work at even though I still get pto, but I'm being repeatedly told to apply for all sorts of other jobs even though it looks like there isn't much hope in most companies right now, just because "they're hiring" and "you need to go out more".

I don't even know if I'm employed still all I know is everyone got an email saying that if you earned over £37,500 a month (?????) you'd still be getting it AND the 70% the government is giving us.

Cool for them I guess.

But massive F Freeze, sucks that you got laid off, hopefully something opens up for you.

Currently weighing whether I have The Rona or if I just feel shitty because I'm old and out of shape and sitting around the house for three weeks.

Pretty much the only good thing to come out of this whole situation is how empty the highways and streets are. Even when I went to work early last week at 9AM, the highway was practically empty and usually at that hour, it's a fucking nightmare. I really, really hope the big tech companies permanently adopt a work-from-home lifestyle from now on after the pandemic settles down.

>Hollywood reporting record lows in income

>Fewer cars, cleaner air

There's positives in everything!

8 hours ago, Boaby Kenobi said:

Streets are mostly empty where I am.

emptystreets.jpg

emptystreets2.jpg

Huh, I actually like it this way much more, so peaceful. I can still see plenty of cars where I live sometimes.

17 hours ago, NuMetalManiak said:

My biggest concern right now is how life is gonna be with living with others who also cannot leave their homes. Slowly but surely the more unemployed, older generation who have all but retired are being needlessly demanding of people like me to continue working, as if they don't care about my health.

You know what's actually bizarre?

Those same elderly are now going outside. Visiting their families. Cycling. Socializing. The amount of old people i have seen that are travelling to others, it legit amazes me.

Here we have the government and every other body of authority emphatizing with those of advanced age because they can't move out and their family can't visit them (and aren't allowed to!) and we feel so sorry for them, and then they decide en-masse to go outside themselves. ---_---

It really is Opposite Month, is it not?

Well, university is closed for this year due this virus and we won't return to lecture rooms. It's funny to think that I'm going to pay for online lectures, heh. 

1 hour ago, Redneckerz said:

Those same elderly are now going outside. Visiting their families. Cycling. Socializing. The amount of old people i have seen that are travelling to others, it legit amazes me.

Here we have the government and every other body of authority emphatizing with those of advanced age because they can't move out and their family can't visit them (and aren't allowed to!) and we feel so sorry for them, and then they decide en-masse to go outside themselves. ---_---

Well, my theory says, that elderly thinks that they are immune to this virus, so they "mockingly" lives their lives as usual. Some of them unconsciously searches the way out, even if they never thought about it. Maybe, when youngsters like us are inside our homes, they just feel more safer to walk, do their activities and break rules. 

The Doomslayer is 'The Beast'

The virus is described as 'The Beast' as well.

So does that make ppl who are asymptomatic / resistant... a b-b-b-b-BEAST? :D :D :D

Hooray for being an essential worker. At the very least I still have a job. But I'm really waiting until these 701,000, I'm sure it'll top a million and a half in the next two weeks, unemployed people start looting. It's only going to get worse, and the $1200 checks from the stimulus aren't going to do jack shit. That's a months rent in most places around here. That's a third of a months rent in highly populated areas. It's an absolute joke, and the government is going to have mass riots on it's hands in the next couple of weeks. This shit is going to get bad. And yeah, I joked about it when it was starting. I was wrong. Shit's going to get bad.

Absolute brilliance of my soon-to-be-boss superior:

Dude suggested i should come over on Monday... despite still having symptoms and coughing intensely enough to be potentially contagious. His arguments?

''We are situated seperately from the patients'' (Which means jack since i will work with medical personnel, who work with.... you know) and ''You had this for such a long time now, the contagiousness part of it is gone'' (Gee i love medical expert grade reviews about my health, except for the fact that he isn't a medical grade expert, and my own doctor has suggested i should ''cough it out'', several times.)

Besides, i literally am not allowed to go due to the governmental rules set in, that say that if you do have a cold or you cough, you need to stay at home. Due to the unexpectedness of his suggestion, i simply said yes before the brain cells kicked in.

So i called back and told him otherwise, and it was essentially admitted that my superior has ''a different personal view regarding this''. So he puts personal policy infront of governmental policy in order to get me to work.

I don't have to explain what kind of unwarranted risk this kind of thing sets in, especially given the environment he operates in and where i am supposed to operate in. I mean, i get it, i totally get his point of view. But i feel its irresponsible to suggest to come over when both the doctor and the government suggest otherwise and all this does is bringing unnecessary risk to my health or medical personnel.

However, there is one exception to the rule of not going: Vital services can differ on a case by case basis. IT is one such an exception that has to be decided between employee and boss. With that said: I have yet to start at the job. How vital is my position? I literally have not begun there yet.

So yeah, you can imagine i was not all too happy about this out-of-the-box suggestion of my superior.

I feel the quarantine has proven very well as to how stupid humanity can be, especially with the belief that "5G causes coronavirus" and that the religious are ignoring health safety alerts to hold huge meetings and events.

4 hours ago, GamingMarine said:

"5G causes coronavirus"

*vomits*

Please don't mention this again (everyone, I mean), because this BS (and a lot more... ) is literally parroted by demented conspiracy theorists at every step, and I've heard too much similar garbage recently - enough for 3 lives... - dad REALLY has nothing better to do (or watch) sometimes, and since the house is so small I hear everything the others are doing or watching, and it's not fun :( .

The fact that he unironically believes some of this mental constipation conspirationalist shite is even more depressing...

Garment factories are supposed to open up tomorrow in here, with many people backing to their homeplaces from villages expected in the next days, despite the coronavirus cases increasing per day.

My country is truly stupid...

38 minutes ago, seed said:

The fact that he unironically believes some of this mental constipation conspirationalist shite is even more depressing...

I don't even believe in the statement. I know that it's a really dumb conspiracy, and I was bringing it up as an example of how dumb people have gotten in these times.