Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

The Unity Port Thread - PS/Xbox/Switch/IOS/Android

5 hours ago, Revenant100 said:

The new DEMO5 just shows the player spinning around wildly, running straight into the lava pit, firing at nothing, and then dying after a few seconds.

That got a laugh out of me.

20 minutes ago, VGA said:

The fuck is Zauberer?

Freedoom equivalent of Hexen.

2 hours ago, Danfun64 said:

Funny thing. If Zauberer had a complete texture replacement, perhaps that could have been used... but AFAIK Zauberer isn't even alpha quality?

What about Blasphemer?

8 hours ago, Revenant100 said:

Bethesda-ized

For the record, I made all the changes to the wad (with NT's blessing to make fixes/edits to his stuff where needed, e.g. E4M1). A bit of it is copyright box-ticking, but there's a handful of minor map fixes (mostly tutti/medusa stuff) and the sky replacements are something I'd wanted to do all along but never really got the spark for it (E3's sky in particular has been a long-standing bucket list item of mine -- VICTORY2 is just too cool :P ).

The statusbar was a weird case -- normally we'd just seek out permission from the person who originally made it (Kyka), but they've been absent for aeons, and the new id port doesn't even support custom status bars in the first place (that part exists in the Unity layer, which doesn't use graphical assets from the wad for the most part). Was just easier to remove 'em from the wad outright.

Probably at some point after the dust settles, we'll post up a v1.5 release with all the fixes, plus the E4M1 logo and status bar restored. As for skies, depends on which ones @NaturalTvventy prefers, I suppose. :P

[EDIT] Looks like the status bar is supported now? Either that or I was misinformed.

Edited by Xaser

@Xaser I like the Hexen edit but the VICTORY2 screen was a very creative idea so it's still cool!

E: Also who am I kidding the PWAD is unchanged on PC lol.

From: https://bethesda.net/community/topic/388434/doom-doom-ii-patch-notes

”Quick Load and Save can now be bound from Customize Controls and will work without pausing the game.”

How do you access Customize Controls? I couldn’t find it on Xbox One or Switch versions.

I did update and all the other changes were there and are really great to have!

8 hours ago, Xaser said:

The statusbar was a weird case -- normally we'd just seek out permission from the person who originally made it

Who's "we"?

BTW, the newer version is kinda weird about running ICARUS.WAD, since it fails to load any music from it.

Congratulations to all involved. I’m a couple levels in right now and I’m really enjoying this. And a huge shoutout to sponge and his team for keeping us supplied with new content. Y’all are rockstars.

9 hours ago, plynthus said:

From: https://bethesda.net/community/topic/388434/doom-doom-ii-patch-notes

”Quick Load and Save can now be bound from Customize Controls and will work without pausing the game.”

How do you access Customize Controls? I couldn’t find it on Xbox One or Switch versions.

I did update and all the other changes were there and are really great to have!

Customize Controls is a PC only thing. That change just means you can hit F5 and F9, and rebind them, and you no longer have to pause the game to quick save/load, like it works in every other game that has it.

@sponge Any chance of more languages added down the line, like, say, Russian? I'd be happy to provide help with that.

Wow, NEIS got added? And they fixed the audio at last? Now there's one more gripe of mine that needs to be fixed, which is the wonky mouse movement.

Hello everyone!

I was wondering if anyone else is noticing sound bugs with the newest updates? I am playing on a Switch and...

1) When I shoot the shotgun at a Zombie or Shotgun guy at close range, the sound of the shotgun gets cut off early and you can just hear the enemy's dying sound. 

2) When you finish a level the music is delayed and won't start until the game tallies your score - and the volume to the music seems quite low as well. 

Other than that, I love the additional information in the map screen and the snappiness of the quickload is equally welcome. 

51 minutes ago, Blackpuppy said:

1) When I shoot the shotgun at a Zombie or Shotgun guy at close range, the sound of the shotgun gets cut off early and you can just hear the enemy's dying sound. 

You are picking up their ammo in the same frame. Ammo pickups play the sound in the player object, so naturally the pickup sound interrupts your weapon sound (actors are only supposed to play one sound at a time). This is expected Doom behaviour and is necessary for other behaviours, such as the chainsaw sfx. 

ZDoom solved that problem by using different sound channels for actors. A weapon channel for weapons, a voice channel for various shouts and screams, a body channel for walking sounds (like arachnotron, spider mastermind, and cyberdemon), and an item sound. This allows some pick up something while firing and sounds that should be cut off (like the chainsaw) get cut off.

44 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

You are picking up their ammo in the same frame. Ammo pickups play the sound in the player object, so naturally the pickup sound interrupts your weapon sound (actors are only supposed to play one sound at a time). This is expected Doom behaviour and is necessary for other behaviours, such as the chainsaw sfx. 

9 minutes ago, Gez said:

ZDoom solved that problem by using different sound channels for actors. A weapon channel for weapons, a voice channel for various shouts and screams, a body channel for walking sounds (like arachnotron, spider mastermind, and cyberdemon), and an item sound. This allows some pick up something while firing and sounds that should be cut off (like the chainsaw) get cut off.

Ah, well that explains that!

I'll admit that I tested the update by playing E1M1 at Ultraviolent (a difficulty I rarely choose) so lots of demons and close quarters. 

Now that the sound is back to what it should be, I'd like to properly fix/enhance the cases where the original behavior sounds broken or is undesirable. Was just too much to fix in one go in what was already a high-risk change.

You know what would be cool? If these ports got a Steam release with Workshop support for the WADs.

Yeah, the custom WADs I drop into the "savegames" folder now don't play their music properly, despite it not being the issue in the previous version. Could this be fixed in the future?

15 hours ago, Edward850 said:

I noticed this recently, the sound being "different" i mean. It's been a while since i've played Doom in a "vanilla" source port.

15 hours ago, Gez said:

Ahh that explains it! I'm so used to GZDoom (or ZDoom w/e) that i recently noticed how everything was getting cut off in the new update. This is one QOL feature that i actually agree with although i don't mind the vanilla sound (it getting cut off i mean). I do like playing "vanilla". I just prefer the "feel" of ZDoom/GZDoom is all so i use it lol.

On 4/1/2020 at 11:35 AM, whatup876 said:

* DWANGO and/or something related

This can't replace Dwango, but the thought of there being no "officialized" deathmatch maps is causing me undue amounts of stress. (lol)

I made a 100% clean pack of 20 vanilla-compatible deathmatch maps, just on the fleeting chance that there's a decision made to put some deathmatch turf out there for the console players. Not a single copyrighted or stolen asset or anything like that, all original maps with all original midis and a tiny handful of edited iwad textures - nothing more.

A man can dream, right?!

dk_dm.zip

dk1.png.3810de86597d2d7cef961ca93263ceeb.png

dk2.png.619d2bb82e1a143ac63f62d6f90ac9bf.png

I'm also surprised the replacement textures don't have similar colors and color palette but that doesn't mean much at this point.

One feature i wonder if it is possible in the new ports is messages for when the demons kill the player, like those that were in some source ports.

On the subject of multiplayer modes/maps, i wonder if playing offline with bot players, arena modes with spawning enemies/items/guns or even something like CTF are possible in the ports. (maybe not)

Seeing these MP maps being suggested made me wonder about the chance of new Wads made specifically for the new ports, whether or not they're spiritual successors to some Wads that are hard to get in, but deserve representation.

Gonna try and update that list, by the way:

* Memento Mori 1 and 2

* Hell Revealed 1 and 2 (minus the ROTT music which was a seperate file and the Star Trek image i think)

* Requiem

* Icarus: Alien Vanguard

* Most TNT/Plutonia fan sequels (Plut 2, Plut Revisited and TNT Revilution)(i think one or more of them have Dehacked but all 3 have some amazing Icon of Sin levels)

* Back to Saturn X series

* The Becoming

* Doom The Way id Did series

* Base Ganymede

* Fava Beans

* Scythe 1 except some of its songs

* Cleimos 1 and 2

* SkePLand

* The Warlock's Hearth

* Equinox (without its soundtrack or sound replacement, although the HUD should be safe and it's cool looking)

* Revolution! with its MIDI pack that was originally optional

* Sudtic, Teutic and maybe Obtic (this one requires Dehacked)

* Maybe most of Eternal Doom

* Dystopia 3, Dystopia 301 and the one that's just "Dystopia"

* DWANGO and/or something related

* Switcheroom

* CH Retro Episode

* Alien Vendetta (has some Hexen textures)
* Number One Kill: The Next Generation
* Operation BIOWAR (has some Hexen textures)
* Doom 2 Reloaded
* The Darkening
* The Darkening Episode 2
* The Classic Episode
* Dawn of the Dead
* The Ultimate NMD
* Vengeance (pretty obscure full Ultimate Doom replacement might be tricky)

* Whatever could represent/carry Eviternity's Heaven aesthetic and all

@whatup876 Mate, I don’t think they’re asking for suggestions. And even if they were, most of the ones on your list wouldn’t work. Just about any community project is out (DTWID, Switcheroom, Plutonia sequels) because of the difficulty of contacting all of the authors. All of the older wads (anything TNT, MMs, Requiem, HR) are also out for that reason. Quite a few of the others you listed have dehacked (TNT:R) or assets from other games (DWANGO).

I get that you’re excited, we all are, but you keep posting these long lists and they’re really just clogging up the thread.

You also haven't been including Chex Quest in your suggestions, making the entire list objectively null and void!!

On 3/31/2020 at 4:14 PM, seed said:

I hope the support doesn't end here though, I see this patch doesn't fix long-standing issues such as Nightmare difficulty which sponge did mention he wants to finally fix.

I still hope for extended difficulty options (like -fastmonsters without Nightmare's respawning)

Really if we had a broken Nightmare mode I would prefer if it had -fast with no -respawn rather than the other way around

12 minutes ago, Dragonsbrethren said:

Playing the Master Levels in this really makes me wish we had a music change option in the menu.

Oh seriously. D_RUNNIN has never felt so oppressive.