Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Loomis

Into Battle - My first Doom 2 map

Hi, this is my first finished map for Doom 2. It's called "Into Battle". I guess it's some old school Doom/Doom 2 gameplay.

I created it with Slade 3.1.10, a little bit Ultimate Doom Builder 3.0.0 and ZDBSP 1.19
Tested it with GZDoom 4.3.3, PrBoom 2.5.0 (custom sky texture is not visible in PrBoom)

Got some graphical errors or crashes in Boom 2.02 and Doom2 v1.9 in DOSBox, though.

You need Doom2.WAD to play.

Although I thought I had nothing incompatible in the map, I couldn't get it running with Doom2 v1.9 in DOSBox...

Freelook, jumping, crouching is not needed.

It has a custom sky texture made by me, and I put one of the hanging dudes on that green wall to a grey stone wall texture (hope the latter one is allowed).

Regarding difficulty: I made use of the different skill levels, so it should be playable also for beginners. I can beat it on UV, but I guess some experienced player may find that also easy... Please let me know. I'd say it's like Doom and Doom 2, not as tough as Plutonia.

WAD file:

INTO_BATTLE_WAD_V4.zip

Spoiler

Old Versions of the WAD

INTO_BATTLE_WAD.zip (as played in Clippy's and Austinados VIdeos)

INTO_BATTLE_WAD_V2.zip

INTO_BATTLE_WAD_V3.zip

Changelogs:

Changelog V2:
- Fixed missing music
- Fixed a secret that was counted twice
- added more ammunition

Changelog V3:
- Changed textures of certain doors to resemble actual doors
- Changed blue key and blue door placement
- added new rooms
- changed a few monster placements

Changelog V4:
- Built the nodes with ZDBSP to make the map run also in PrBoom

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20200328_110644.pngScreenshot_Doom_20200328_110649.pngScreenshot_Doom_20200328_110740.pngScreenshot_Doom_20200328_110836.pngScreenshot_Doom_20200328_110933.pngScreenshot_Doom_20200401_113355.png

Edited by Loomis

Those screenshots look right up my alley, I'll give this one a spin soon and give you some feedback.

Hi guys, thank you both for playing my map! It was great so see how someone plays who doesn't know the map. And you definitely pointed out flaws I have to check out.

First the missing music, then the blue key that was placed too obvious, the room with the hanging dude that doesn't bring you forward in the map and that outdoor rock-and-grass-secret that had kind of dull rewards. Maybe I should place a box of ammo up the rock. That would be more rewarding and it would help with the ammo shortage. And generally I will try not to be too stingy with ammo. Of course low ammo increases the difficulty, but I understand that standing before a couple of hell barons with bare fists suddenly spoils the fun.

@Clippy That Hell Baron coming through the teleport into the small exit room was great, that never happened when I played!

Edited by Loomis

I uploaded a new version of the map (see first post).

Changelog V2:
- Fixed missing music
- Fixed a secret that was counted twice
- added more ammunition

Still need to think about what to do with the blue key placement and the hanging dude room.

You don't NEED to have every key, it's not a requirement. If you absolutely must to make players make this detour, you can use a switch.

Hi, I uploaded a new Version (V3) of the map addressing some of the flaws @Austinado and @Clippy mentioned in their videos.

Hope you like it!

Changelog V3:
- Changed textures of certain doors to resemble actual doors
- Changed blue key and blue door placement
- added new rooms
- changed a few monster placements

Screenshot:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20200407_172535.png

On 4/3/2020 at 10:13 AM, ViolentBeetle said:

You don't NEED to have every key, it's not a requirement. If you absolutely must to make players make this detour, you can use a switch.

Yeah, did that now :)

Edited by Loomis

I enjoyed the map. It's not very hard but it was still fun. Good secrets, and it felt more classic Doom 2 than most WADs do. Sadly, not Boom compatible so I had to play it in GZDoom.

9 hours ago, MissMelee said:

I enjoyed the map. It's not very hard but it was still fun. Good secrets, and it felt more classic Doom 2 than most WADs do. Sadly, not Boom compatible so I had to play it in GZDoom.

Thanks for playing!

Could anyone please give a hint what is the problem with the map in Boom?

I tried with PrBoom and it says:

P_GetNodesVersion: using normal BSP nodes
P_LoadSideDefs2: sidedef 0 has out-of-range sector num 0
P_LoadSideDefs2: sidedef 1 has out-of-range sector num 0
P_LoadSideDefs2: sidedef 2 has out-of-range sector num 17
P_LoadSideDefs2: sidedef 3 has out-of-range sector num 0
...many more of the same errors for each sidedef...
P_LoadSideDefs2: sidedef 6588 has out-of-range sector num 791
P_LoadSideDefs2: sidedef 6589 has out-of-range sector num 787
I_SignalHandler: Exiting on signal: signal 11

A forum entry says:

often these faults are caused by forgetting to run a node-builder on the wad after editing

How do I do this with Slade or Ultimate Doom Builder?

Ah OK, I found out that I need to run a Node Builder over the WAD. I tried with ZDBSP and now at least the map runs in PrBoom...

Got some graphical errors or crashes in Boom 2.02 and Doom2 v1.9 in DOSBox, though.

Edited by Loomis

My FDA: 

This is a cute level, especially as a techbase. The visuals were basic, but yet very effective. Like I always say I prefer a good fight in a blase room than a bad fight in a beautiful room. 

The progression was perfect. I really am a fan of the "Leaving so soon?" moment. This was lovely done. Enough supplies as well. 

This map could easily be an opener of a wad or an episode since it's not hard at all. And it's just what I expect from a techbase - hitscanners mostly and a few other demons. I personally liked what I'm supported with. 

Overall, very easy, but can catch a newbie off guard. 

Let's not forget this lovely moment: 

doom66.png.866ed36d7b4fd155d4a8c88d2eb38b57.png

Only one revenant rocket was fired. And I managed to make it circle me. I love doing that. The much I hate revenants all in all for the same reason. When I manage to make such a rocket just orbit me, I always want to sit down and look at this cuteness in awe. And laugh at it, because I know it will never hit me! 

By the way, are you a Nevermore fan? Your username gives me such vibes. 

@spd7693 Thanks for your kind words!

Which sourceport did you use?

Yes, my username is an hommage to Jeff Loomis of Nevermore. The map's name “Into Battle“ is on one hand because it's my first uploaded map, but also that is the name of the first album of the band Brocas Helm.

I used GLBoom+. I forgot to mention that I liked the circular light patches around the light sources. I'm not sure if you've used incompatible shapes though. In Vanilla circles consist of a number of linedefs and are basically polygons that look like circles. You can see that by simply clicking the "curve linedef" button, which is used for making circle shapes in Vanilla. Nevertheless, I'm glad to see how you used the lighting. The light amps are OK, but a player with good eyesight like me wouldn't need them. 

As for the other topic, Warrel Dane is one of the top influencers to my vocal style. 

39 minutes ago, spd7693 said:

In Vanilla circles consist of a number of linedefs and are basically polygons that look like circles.

That's how I did the circular lighting. I have done the light levels in steps of 5. Would be even smoother with smaller differences in light levels of the different sectors, but would be even more work to do it that way.

On 4/2/2020 at 8:27 AM, Loomis said:

First the missing music,

This happened to me too. Didn't even realise as I always turn off the music anyway. I used a MAPINFO to give a custom level name and I think you need to specify a music to play in the MAPINFO (I didn't). It seems not to play whatever the default for the map slot is if a MAPINFO is specified that does not define map music.