Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. Impso

small nitpicks?

ok I know I made a topic yesterday both of them are kinda negative, but let me preface this by saying I fuckin LOVE this game, there are just some issues that kinda degrade my experience overall. 
One such problem is the weapon quick select speed. 
By this point, I've memorized where all the weapons are on the weapon wheel, so much so that I don't have to look at it, just open the wheel, push my thumbstick in a direction and close. 
A problem I've run into multiple times now is that the menu seems to have a delay of like half a second, and this means that sometimes it doesn't register my weapon switch. 
And in this game where lightning-fast weapon switches can be the difference between life and death, this iirks me. 
so I guess this topic would be "parts of the game that irk you." not frustrate, or infuriate, just make you go "eh...not a fan of that"

I love Doom Eternal and have been playing nonstop. This is an absolute beast of game. One of the best Doom experiences ever.

The only actual nitpicks I have are the abundance of platforming. And the swimming sections in Taras Nabad. These are things that I feel could have been implemented better. I play on the PS4 and have encountered crashes from glitches and bugs. I’m sure those will be fixed in future updates.

Edited by User Name

13 minutes ago, Mr. Impso said:

By this point, I've memorized where all the weapons are on the weapon wheel, so much so that I don't have to look at it, just open the wheel, push my thumbstick in a direction and close. 
A problem I've run into multiple times now is that the menu seems to have a delay of like half a second, and this means that sometimes it doesn't register my weapon switch. 

Don't you have to press the fire button to register the selection? Or the left mouse button?

I thought simply releasing the Q key simply meant that you're happy to stick with the current selection.

oh hey just thought of something else. 
you can find soulspheres in the game. they're blue, with a screaming face, like a soulsphere. yet when you pick them up they replenish your health AND armor, like a megasphere. 
just...incorrect. 

Just now, Foebane72 said:

Don't you have to press the fire button to register the selection? Or the left mouse button?

I thought simply releasing the Q key simply meant that you're happy to stick with the current selection.

not for me. You might have a different control/selection scheme, but for me you just have to point to the selection and release the weapon wheel button. 

I wouldn't mind the chainsaw as much, if they had more than two or three animations for killing fodder with it. 

6 minutes ago, TheRedTide said:

Everybody boo this man.

If you put enough Sentinel Crystals into your ammo capacity, you can take on some quite tough crowds without needing to start chainsawing enemies too quickly. I was replaying the Phobos mission to pick up some items I missed, and there's this area in which a whole bunch of cacodemons and some trash mooks attack you. It might be tempting to use the BFG, especially since there is ammo for it just lying there. But 150 rounds was enough for my chaingun to take out most of them as I quickly dodged side to side, and my plasma rifle finished off the remainder. I chainsawed after that encounter, but that didn't seem excessive to me.

also in my opinion, the gore is kind of underwhelming. 
I mean it's good, but it's not great. 
I know it'd be a bastard to do in regards to modeling, but could you imagine doom eternal with the level of gore found in MK11?
because in mk11, they actually modeled internal organs. 
whereas in doom eternal, you mostly just get ribcages, intestines, and red mush whenever you chop/blow a demon up. I wanna see bone shards flying out, shattering against the wall. I wanna see demons trying desperately to hold their guts in when you blow a hole in their stomach. 
not to sound too bloodthirsty, but come the fuck on, it's fucking doom

35 minutes ago, Mr. Impso said:

I wouldn't mind the chainsaw as much, if they had more than two or three animations for killing fodder with it. 

Yes, having a "medium" sized demons that would take 2 charges of the chainsaw would be pretty nice. Like Hellknights, maybe prawlers etc.

Or add a benefit to killing big demons with it, like a LITTLE bit of BFG ammo, make not spamming chainsaw viable.

It would break the monotony and add some more tactical use of the chainsaw like it was in DOOM (2016).

With the system right now, there is no point saving or hoarding fuel. Most efficient way is to spam and let it "magically" refuel...

I wish my car would do that...

3 minutes ago, Shawny said:

magically" refuel...

I wish my car would do that...

me too, man. me too. 

Enemy types. The game already has a wide plethora of enemies, but I was hoping to see more (partly because almost literally every enemy was revealed by promotional videos released by id, except for the Makyr Drone, Gladiator, and Icon of Sin), and honestly I was a little bummed that we didn't get to actually fight the Hell priests, Makyr priests, and other Titans. I know creating enemies is complex, but I already mentioned in the DLC thread that they have a few more enemy roles that could be filled.

They could also utilize re-skins. Normally, re-skins are bad, but Shadow Warrior 2 was an example of re-skins done right: it has enough different enemies to where you can afford to re-skin a few of them without feeling cheap. The different skins were also used for different situations: in the civilian towns, you fought Yakuza, but in the city they were Zilla's soldiers instead. Eternal already has enough enemies to where a few re-skins wouldn't feel cheap. The game kind of does that with the Zombies, but it would be cool for situations like on Earth you fight the new Mancubus and in Hell the 2016 Mancubus (which grew their cannons naturally with UAC augmentation), or soldiers on Earth resemble the classic Former Human and Sergeant, while on Phobos they resemble the soldiers from 2016, or the Z-secs from Doom 3. The Doom 3 commando could be an easier version of the Marauder, being in the heavy class instead of a super heavy and not having that damn shield or dog.

3 minutes ago, Chaddyboy said:

Enemy types. The game already has a wide plethora of enemies, but I was hoping to see more

Yes, my sentiment exactly. 
this is also the reason I hope Bethesda/ID grow a pair and make the game open source. there is so much complexity to the levels and monsters in this game, and I know that 3d modelers would have an absolute fucking field day creating their own monsters for the game. 

(on a side note, hdoom with doom eternal's graphics would be the tits, and I will die standing by that opinion)

Shell ammo seems too strict, while Cell ammo feels too generous.

Prowlers look too much like Imps. Monsters should always be distinct and instantly recognisable.

Though I've never mistaken one for the other, Dread Knights again feel too similar to Barons.

The Sentinel realm is very generic high fantasy. It needed stronger world building to give it more depth and character.

There's probably too much platforming and not enough exploration. Super Gore Nest is probably the best level

for having non-linear elements to it's layout design.

It didn't occur to me until earlier today that Lost Souls and Cueballs are rarely, if ever used outside of like ~2-3 scenarios.

I remember thinking when Cueballs were first introduced at the Cultist Base that they'd go on to become a staple in the rest of the game's arenas, but boy was I wrong.  It's like they completely disappeared.

Another slight nitpick is that there's nowhere near enough nukage/radiation to warrant there being a suit perk that reduces its damage.  When I first saw that perk I was like, "Wow, some levels must be chock full of the stuff."  But nope.  You rarely have to traverse it, and even when you do it only takes a few minutes to reach dry land for the rest of the level.

Edited by Chubzdoomer

2 hours ago, Job said:

400 bullets

600 cells

100 shells

100 rockets

Both games aim to do different things. This is not a fair comparison. Plus 100 rockets is too much for vanilla Doom anyway imo. 

EDIT: On topic

Would have liked the levels to be more like super gore nest and arc complex.

Pain Elementals don't serve their classic function of spawning extra enemies and the Lost Souls they do spit tend to get stuck on geometry and wale forever until killed. This is probably a bug though.

I didn't like Samuel Hayden's dialogue delivery this time around. It's like he was directed to make every line sound ominous.

Buff Totems feel tacked on and should have just been Archviles since they do the same thing. Also more Archviles. 

Powerups (Berserk, Haste, etc.) were severally underutilized compared to 2016 to the point where they might as well have been cut out. 

Edited by Super Mighty G

I hate both archviles and bufftotems in this game, but I hate the totems less, so the thought of every buff totem being replaced with an archvile fills me with hate XD
the thing is I wouldn't hate archviles as much as I do if they weren't such fucking bullet sponges. I mean this might be just me, but I feel that summoner-class creatures in any game should be just a little bit stronger than the average monster, but in doom eternal, they take just as much punishment as the barons of hell, which can be problematic since more often than not I feel the absolute need to stay where they are, shooting them over and over, and more often than not I get whalloped by the mini-bosses that they spawn

Later levels don't feel like they're as long as the earlier ones, and are more akin to 2016 levels in length. Not to say that they're not great levels, it's just that the 'twice as long' thing starts to fall apart after Taras Nabad.

I don't like that you still can fall through the floor and get stuck. Already happened to me twice. I would have been pretty pissed if that happened to me on UN.  

8 hours ago, Novaseer said:

Later levels don't feel like they're as long as the earlier ones, and are more akin to 2016 levels in length. Not to say that they're not great levels, it's just that the 'twice as long' thing starts to fall apart after Taras Nabad.

This is a good point.  The levels seemed to get shorter and more linear as you went along.  Final Sin and Nekravol Part II each were over before I knew it.

The fact that we see multiple Thralls (the slave Titans), a don't get to fight a single one. The duo in Nekravol-part II could have definitely made for a great boss.

Well, i made a list of virtues and flaws the game has, it could be longer and more elaborated but i would have to play the game again and that is not gonna happen at least for a loooong time, besides i find problems while i am playing and by the time i want to write them down i forgot exactly what they were, but here are some:

Pros:

Graphics are awesome, ID always delivers in that aspect
Music is great
Gameplay is generally very smooth regarding how the character answers to the commands
When everything clicks, is pretty fun
Some of the fanservice made me smile

Cons:

You have to create a bethesda account (wtf????)
To unlock some stuff you have to play online or be a member of some thing (or play the game several times on different difficulties)
Bugs: enemies get stuck, they infight but they dont kill each other, slayer key does not spawn in a level
Platforming, all kinds of challenges (missions and weapons) and Marauder kill the flow that the devs intended for the game to have
(This also happened in D16)
Lock-Down Arenas, it starts not so noticeable but then they fall for it again
"You play this way or you die"

You get one useful mod for each weapon, and the others are just there, never to be used
Being forced to do some stuff to get points/upgrades

Lack of enviromental storytelling leading to not knowing where you have to go (yes, it happened in the old Doom, but that was 25 years ago)
The story is awful, it has ludo-narrative dissonance, and it does not continue the cliffhanger of D16
(This also happened in D16 but here is even worse because of the cutscenes where Doomguy just looks at the enemies he should be destroying)
Some of the fanservice made me cringe
Spoon feeding, i guess is there for casuals but still, my brother was jumping and in the middle of the jump it got a tutorial and fell lol
Glory kills need to be shorter and more brutal
Reload times of the equipment are ridiculously long even when fully upgraded, chainsaw is useful only for getting ammo from fodder
They give you more points that you can spend (wtf????) yet i needed two mastery tokens to fully upgrade all weapons and they never appeared in the game
Hub level, wtf

I have only two minor nitpicks both of which are related to the collectible albums for the Doom fortress.

First off, volume. Way too quiet. The normal ambient music is a good volume for what it is but the others get drowned out by practically any of the sounds in the place, especially the airlock doors leading out into space. Secondly, at least in my experience, it doesn't seem to save, so it'll be back to normal next boot.

I just want to have Thinking About My Loved Ones playing while staring out at a razed planet and plotting my next move is that to much to ask.

33 minutes ago, Rampy470 said:

I have only two minor nitpicks both of which are related to the collectible albums for the Doom fortress.

First off, volume. Way too quiet. The normal ambient music is a good volume for what it is but the others get drowned out by practically any of the sounds in the place, especially the airlock doors leading out into space. Secondly, at least in my experience, it doesn't seem to save, so it'll be back to normal next boot.

I just want to have Thinking About My Loved Ones playing while staring out at a razed planet and plotting my next move is that to much to ask.

100% this. I was pleased to find out that you could leave them playing, but the album music should have as much volume and gain as the rest of the music in the game.

7 hours ago, Rampy470 said:

I also find it kind of annoying that you have to head to a specific place in the fortress to play, kind of wish there was a menu where we could just easily select whatever song we wanted.

1 hour ago, Hunting4r2d2 said:

I also find it kind of annoying that you have to head to a specific place in the fortress to play, kind of wish there was a menu where we could just easily select whatever song we wanted.

Yeah, having to roam around the entire ship just to find one specific song to play is pretty ridiculous.  At the very least, the albums should've been accessible in one convenient location in your personal quarters (somewhere near your toy/book collection).