Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HombreSal

Do you like putting background music while playing doom?

I love to listen to my favorite Jazz Fusion or Jazz tracks while violently slaying hordes of demons.

(Look I really did not know where else to say this, so I just made this topic instead).

If im playing the iwads yes, ive memorized them so well I can get to map12 in doom II in under 20 mins. 

Pwads on the other hand if they have custom music/never played them much I gotta have it off to focus.  

i'll only listen to custom unique music on pwads. if they select idsoftware midi then i will mute it. any wad that uses pre-existing songs from doom and doom 2 get muted.

cuz ive been playing these games for 25 yrs and have never been crazy about the midi songs that were included with the games to begin with, like i never listened to them outside the game or anything. i'd rather just listen to songs that i enjoy, i do that with most all video games. just zero interest in hearing those songs i'm lukewarm towards for the gazibithrillionth time

next day edit (cause i didnt want to make a new post for this): i've even found the bands i thought would go great with Doom like Nocturnus or Morbid Angel really don't work as well as I expected.

Edited by versionfiv

I always listen to the pwads set music, whether it is custom or original track. Because I think the atmosphere on the map was designed with it in mind.

I usually just listen to the music the wad ships with (minus D_RUNNIN, if it starts with that MIDI it gets muted permanently, no thanks I've heard it far, far too many times).

Not long ago I used to put my music in the background, but I found that it distracts me from the game more than it helps me focus, I tend to focus either on the game or on it, not both at the same time.

Only when I feel like doing it. Even then, I rarely (almost never) turn off the in-game music.

I don't put music on in the background. The background music in the game is all the background music I need.

Background podcasts, on the other hand, I do those. I enjoy listening to podcasts/news while I play games. It's pretty chill.

If I don't like the MIDI then I might reach for the RAMMSTEIN and start rocketing Imps and Zombies while laughing manically.

to be honest, if I'm playing a level and I don't like the music, I idmus to a track I do like, and if I can't find one I close the game. mood counts for a lot when I play the game and if the music is totally outside my tastes then the set probably will be too

If I'm playing maps/map for a long time- I will put on my own music or a radio station as listening to the same 2 min loop for 1 hour+ can be...a little grating :P

Before I took my long hiatus from Doom, I used to play my own music. Now I'm back, I always stick with the map author's choice of MIDI (unless it's absolutely terrible, then I IDMUS to a different level). Now I think in general, using the author's choice of custom MIDI is important as it significantly contributes to the atmosphere

Hodges Extended PSX tunes for me.  He also included some compositions on that mix that weren't used in the PSX version...and since there are levels in Classic Doom that didn't appear in PSX Doom, it's kinda fun to see which of those unused tunes match up nicely with some of those non-PSX levels.

Never liked the midis and as much as I love metal, it doesn't blend with Doom for me.  I prefer creepy ambient.  Snippets of some of NIN and NIN Lite (better known as Stabbing Westward) would definitely work though.  

I used to actively mute all of the in-game music on any game I played a lot and listen to my own music collection. This probably culminated in me releasing Scourge with music deliberately omitted in MAPINFO in 2005, so that players were free to set their own tone with whatever music they liked. I've since rowed back on that a bit and think that, outside of racing games, in-game music is pretty important and now listen to whatever is included. If that happens to be D_RUNNIN or D_E1M1 again, then so be it...

I used to play with my own tunes sometimes when I played on Xbox 360 because if you played any music from the 360 hard drive while playing a game, it would mute any in-game tunes while maintaining sound effects. 

Though playing Doom to the likes of Blink-182 was a bit weird at times.

I really like to remove the music and put some ambient sounds related to the theme of the map.

For example, for a map that takes place in a sewer :

Background sounds are really the thing that's missing in classic doom.

No. I love Doom's soundtracks. The originals were written for and work well with IWADs and PWADs often come with great original music. I understand if someone might not like the midi music though. 

Also, even though I've heard it a thousand times, I still absolutely love D_RUNNIN.

Eh, when im at shitty levels like E2M4. i turn off the music with some nice tunes and i change map flaws that i hate, if i see SP_FACE texture on any map, i replace it with my own custom texture of scrolling wall of sandy peterson faces instead of whatever stretched faces that come along, just for fun tho....
WHEN IM REALLY BORED...

22 hours ago, HUNdebLeonidasX said:

Sometimes listening to some online radio and waiting till they start playing "Dont stop me now"

Freddie Mercury Doom. Someone get on that

I generally find it too much of a ball-ache to set up my own background music. I'd want to play specific stuff in a certain order which means fucking around with playlists and shit, or taking my chances with an endless YouTube mix. Certain tracks would pop up on that which I like but which I don't think would fit the atmosphere of the game. I'd have have fun gibbing demons to the sounds of Front Line Assembly, and some UK hard house tracks would be storming if accompanying a more slaughter-mappy kind of level.

Actually, fuck it. I've more got time to burn right now, even with being able to work from home. I've convinced myself, I'm gonna give it a try. It's just that there's inevitably going to be tracks that I'll want to skip while playing Doom.