Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ViolentBeetle

Crushing ceiling that only goes down (Doom 2)

Question

I'm a bit unsure about this - are there any ceilings that go down, crush things that can crushed and then never go up? I got the impression that they all go up. I think floor will never go down from smashing into ceiling, but that's not what I want right now.

13 answers to this question

Which mapping format are you using? You generally can do all sorts of crusher related things with floors and ceilings.

I usually map in boom format, but from what I've looked up related to the regular doom format: you have a handful of linedef actions that correspond to how crushers function. Some of these line actions allow for a  single walk over trigger, and others allow for a repeatable walk over a trigger to activate a crusher more than once. It seems that crushers only apply to the ceilings of a given sector. Crushers will continually go up and down unless stopped by another linedef action.

In this format, the main actions that can be performed by a crusher sector is either starting or stopping a crusher. 

To me, it seems that the most you can do is: choose if a crusher can be activated once or more than once (walkover only), whether the crusher deals 'slow' or 'fast' or 'silent slow' damage. Additionally, you can create another linedef with an action that stops a crusher (either once or repeatable). Stopping a crusher will simply stop it from moving at it's current height and leave it there.

In this format, I don't think you can do anything more than what I have just described.

(sorry I couldn't be more helpful, I'm on lunch break at work and I don't have my PC with me)

Edited by phoo

Stopping crusher is not an option, unfortunately. That would be easy. Crusher performs vital function of killing a voodoo doll.

What I'm trying to do is to link also have tiny crushers within walls to used as timer.

Crushing a voodoo doll is easy enough. But about these tiny crushers that act as timers, could you explain that part in more detail, I'm not exactly following. What's the timing for exactly?

The idea is simple: You will die in 2 minutes unless you close the 3 blast doors first. If you do, another door opens and lets you exit the level. At the current state it is implemented by a floor that raises to the ceiling and crushes barrels that then blow up a voodoo doll unless chain reaction is interrupted by a door, linked to the same switch that closes blast doors. So the only thing that dies once the time is out is a single Commander Keen which causes the exit door to open. The problem with all this right now is that if player is fast enough, they would finish closing the doors earlier and find themselves standing in front of a locked door for about 30 seconds, confused.

I was having a little more success with raising the floor to make barrels meet crusher and keen half way. However I want to also have a few crushers in visible but inaccessible areas to mark passage of time, filling windows with their sides, but descending crusher will raise back up and that's a bit annoying.

Doom2 doesn't have very many "once way crushers", and the one ceiling action that crushes but doesn't raise again is a switch action, not a walkover.

You may want to look into these:

What would this action be? I can't find it. Having ceiling crush everything would solve my problems in the other direction.

I thought it wouldn't.... but why does it matter anyway? if you want indicators in the map, use whatever action that lowers ceilings - doesn't even have to crush, and have the actual crusher which players can't see as a repeating one, because who cares as long as that one crushes?

FYI slow moving ceiling actions move 35 pixels per second, so you better build large if the indicators are supposed to be "readable"...

@ViolentBeetle If memory serves me, Map 30 of Perdition's Gate has a timer-based setup where you have 90 seconds to escape, otherwise the bomb you triggered will blow up the facility with you still in it. You could look at that. It's not as complicated as your setup with multiple blast doors, but it would give you an idea of the effect.

With regard to the crusher that actually serves as the timer, why does it matter if it goes back up? If it reaches the bottom and kills your voodoo doll, it doesn't matter if it goes back up, because you'll be dead. If you can manage to open the door to leave before the timer runs out, then it doesn't matter if the crushing ceiling goes up, because the level will have ended.

NIH posted the link to linguiportals, because that may be the way to do what you want to do (she even included a template in that thread). You'll probably have to get creative with your setup, but that may be the way to handle your overall timer.

@Nine Inch Heels You have a good handle on what you can do with linguiportals. If you could somehow stop the voodoo doll's momentum in the middle of traversing the portal, would the voodoo keep moving once that impediment was removed?

50 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

You have a good handle on what you can do with linguiportals. If you could somehow stop the voodoo doll's momentum in the middle of traversing the portal, would the voodoo keep moving once that impediment was removed?

It has already been established that the doll on the portal can be blocked with lost souls for example, and when you crush them, the doll will start moving again. It's easy enough to build. The only thing you'd need to avoid is letting the crusher get in the way of the actual doll, but that's the only stipulation that I am aware of right now.