Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RemoveUwU

Durcringe / Tae Hanazono, kind of a first map

I already made some maps in the past, maybe they won't ever be released, however, I decided I could improve some stuff.

And so, I started a journey, searching not only for a mapping style that fits me better, but a visual style too.

Spoiler

And just like every journey, this one had a soundtrack, composed by the one and only Rivers Cuomo, I know you're here pal, you can't fool me.

So, I didn't really expect to make a great map in my first try, unlike The Blue Album by Weezer, so, as I said, I tried to develop a style I like the most by watching and learning from other wad creators. I can't name them all, but I ended up looking at default maps again, so I just thought, maybe my style was a more vanillesque one? What if, in my way to improve my mapping technique. So I felt like posting this one map I made by placing ideas and concepts the way I liked them. I recalled that time Weezer tried expanding their music, after the Blue Album boom, when they released Pinkerton and Cuomo opened his little, incel heart to the public, and it wasn't weel received, then he decided to close his heart again and just write some music. I feel like this one picture takes that feeling.

What I'm trying to say here is that I hate Weezer.

Screenshot_Doom_20200331_155111.png.898d0ef3e2d8bf07de6d11d3b8917a4c.png

As implied by the title of this topic, this map was mostly made outta boredom, I kinda tried to add some new textures, but for some God forsaken reason they make anything but GZDoom/Zandronum crash, so I went full Vanilla textures and even so I couldn't test the map on Crispy Doom.

Tested on LZDoom, PRBoom+ and K8vavoom btw, there were some graphical bugs in K8vavoom.

This map uses Doom 2 as a base IWAD, I tested it with Freedoom too, and I haven't found anything that might break the map.

Oh btw, you're free to modify this map, make it better, bigger, whatever, it's ours now.

Some pics btw

Screenshot_Doom_20200331_154833.png.ea46512dc63e654e54b07d9f50d9794a.png

Classic start.

Screenshot_Doom_20200331_155030.png.ca566028067e2c315333d4a1fc9745ac.png

Shoot it!

Screenshot_Doom_20200331_155228.png.18e6ee147b4c40fc5ca1b077cf03864b.png

Do you need a break?

Screenshot_Doom_20200331_154800.png.64df8a0e1ed64de8321c49859d45446d.png

Starting area

Screenshot_Doom_20200331_154837.png.e9e65ef33dcca24782eda9f3295a7a21.png

Download

Edited by RemoveUwU : Download link kinda got buried in those pics

Your download link ended up buried among the pictures. Consider attaching .rar archive to your post instead.

I haven't gotten far, I keep dying to Hell Knight - the map is stingy on health and ammo pickups for my tastes, but that's just me. I'll try again tomorrow. The 4 or so rooms I lived though look quite good. You managed to create identifiable areas. A few notes:

- The tiny brick pillar at the cage's gate looks weird. Consider using metal support

- Consider making metal support thicker. It looks best at the width of 24.

- You can use upper-unpegged to align upper texture at a ceiling which is perfect to top off door frames. If your room is right height, lower-unpegged can also align area below the hole, but that doesn't always work.

- Acute angles pointing in my face is messing with my head, but I don't think it's a universal opinion.

So no other Bang Dream references, other than map title?

Either way, I'll give it a try soon.

13 hours ago, InDOOMnesia said:

So no other Bang Dream references, other than map title?

Either way, I'll give it a try soon.

Map doesn't use any of GZDoom's specific features nor jumping or anything so I thought why should I restrict myself?

Someday I'll make a Bandori map don't worry bro

I've gotta say, that's a nice looking toilet. also the lighting is pretty nice too.

It does flush!

Nice nasty little big map!   It's one of those that seem smaller on the outside but are bigger inside.    A good ways in I accidentally dropped down somewhere without grabbing something first and got killed.   I'll have to try again.

Just this texture here I think should be plat1 or something else.

durcringe.jpg

On 4/1/2020 at 4:35 PM, Gokuma said:

It does flush!

Nice nasty little big map!   It's one of those that seem smaller on the outside but are bigger inside.    A good ways in I accidentally dropped down somewhere without grabbing something first and got killed.   I'll have to try again.

I thought it would be a nice detail to make a flushable toilet! Tho I'd love to have a on/off switch for lights but I guess it's not important

I guess you mean the closet with all the Revenants and Hell Knights? I designed it to be hard but beatable, but there are two invul. sph. near that part. If is not that part then let me know uwu, thanks for playing the map

Pretty standard fare, the overall difficulty is rather low due to mountains of ammo everywhere, but a few areas can become nasty (hellknight/rev trap). I noticed one problem: HOM at linedef 1233 or maybe 2041.

2 hours ago, Caleb13 said:

Pretty standard fare, the overall difficulty is rather low due to mountains of ammo everywhere, but a few areas can become nasty (hellknight/rev trap).

I'm still quite new to this, I need to learn how to strategically place ammo and health, but I promise upcoming maps will have less pickups, or I'll try to place them only in places where they're needed

If this was on /idgames it would automatically get a couple stars for the random Weezer rant alone. If you ever publish this, I hope that makes it into the text document!

Love those screenshots, and there’s even a flushable toilet. Downloaded!