Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What are you playing now?

Console Doom. What a weird setup! Have played the first 14 levels (UV continuous, 1 death so far), and it's been Playstation Doom 1 maps interspersed with a few Doom 64 ones. The latter have standard Doom/Doom II monsters, except that the Lost Souls are easier to kill (like their Doom 64 counterparts), but are only as dangerous as their ordinary Doom counterparts.

I'm back to BTSX but this time without 100% and here is a picture. :) I will play it more after sleeping. Oh, and I forgot to mention that I completed the previous levels with 100% before my patience ran out.

BTSX.png

Edited by HitelbeVettBor : Spelling error and I forgot to mention something

Finished Sigil for the first time today on Doom Retro on UV. It was alright, pretty damn brutal at points but not completely out for blood and I liked Romero's detailing. I'll need to play it again on Switch, although I'm not sure how well that will translate in handheld mode. Might want to bump it down to HMP or even HNTR lol.

I finished Doom Zero, now I'm replaying Japanese Community project. 

I've been blasting through the DBP wads on HMP; did the most recent two (D&D and Martian Nazis) and then went back to try them all from the beginning. Absolute gems. And I'm really digging the 8-9 map length, too; just enough to make me want more.

Playing HR2 for the DWMC right now. Once I finish it soon, there's a whole huge list of other WADs I want to play or replay. At the top is probably Doom 2 the Way id Did. There's also some DBPs that have grabbed my eye, that I'll see about nominating for the DWMC next month to play them then. Also been wanting to replay Going Down, Ancient Aliens, Eviternity, and Struggle.

A map called Guardian. There are at least four with this title from the mid-late 1990s, three of which are in the Idgames database. This one's the most interesting: it's very tough indeed, and I gave up without finishing it a couple of years ago, as there wasn't quite enough ammo. This time round I managed to find a couple of secrets, which yielded an additional 200 plasma cells and an invuln sphere, and those proved to be a game changer. There's a section towards the end involving a lift and a Cyberdemon which had me cursing the sadism of the mapper......

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/g-i/guardian

I just recently got back into playing Doom and started with TNT's Evilution as a warmup kind of deal. I have so many new releases to play, so naturally when I get into Doom again, I play all the classics I've played multiple times. I decided to play something new and started on Eviternity. I'm only on MAP03, but wow does it make me feel inept as a mapper.

Started playing through the original Scythe only recently, I've been really enjoying it's collection of small, quick maps, really opened my eyes to what can be done with a small amount of enemies & compact levels if you're smart with which enemies you use.

dehacking strings in one of my favorite vanilla megawads...

...then i will disappeard for more than a month...

...Also playing Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey in NDS.
Pretty mindfucking and addicting, indeed.

I'm revisiting Back To Saturn X Episode 2. I had a lot of fun playing it in good old-fashioned Continuous mode (the pacing across maps was really smooth), and now I'm seeing how the maps play on Pistol Starts. MAP03 is an early highlight, since its opening battle keeps goading you to punch through the monsters and dive even deeper into the level in order to complete your arsenal.

BTSXE2-MAP03.png.a292a6f6ced6bed405383fb4e877c4bd.png

Edited by head_cannon

Lately ive gained interest in Doom II on Xbox. Tried to switch it up a bit because I've played the PC versions so much lately due to this wonderful world right now lol.Lately ive gained interest in Doom II on Xbox. Tried to switch it up a bit because I've played the PC versions so much lately due to this wonderful world right now lol. Although I just finished TNT.

i'm working through the official content in my own time just to reset. i decided before i start this playthrough to do a fun pk3 (just for my own personal use) just for the master levels as one file to play through without changing maps. and it became a massive thing (see spoiler if you're curious)    

Spoiler

it brings in the rejected maps and the maps from the series they're apart of. and then it separates them into episodes (one episode for each of the 3 series, then one episode for the master levels i couldn't group and then one episode just for all the maps whose titles start with "the") i used map info, picked their music and gave them their own map numbers so it doesn't interfere with doom 2 and no rest for the living. i thought i was done... and then i was like "wait, i pulled e4m7 into this pk3. i don't wanna repeat maps"

so i made a separate PK3 for doom 1 (because i don't know if you can tell gzdoom to ignore a lump depending on what wad you load. and i then decided since i made a pk3 for doom 1 with just one map in it i'd do other stuff too. i added in e1m4b and e1m8b, after that i shoved in the episode 4 intermission screen, and i decided i wanted the other console exclusive maps in there also. so, i added in sewers (it's terrible but i'm a completionist so i needed it) and i added in the lost episode because it has 7 console exclusive levels and 2 levels from the alphas.

following that I realized "hey, there are 2 more console exclusive levels." i opted not to add in club doom because so much coloured lighting, but i added in hell gate as map 34. there's no way to get to map 34, but i remembered that in Wolfenstein's first boss level there was a secret that was removed when it was moved into doom so i put that secret back and put the secret exit in there. 

it took me 4 days, there were too many hiccups. i'm pissed off that it took me that long. but i'm excited to finally play this. (and no, i won't send it to you. too much piracy in doing that.)

i finished up e4 and i'm about to move on to the lost episode and then doom 2.

Edited by joshthenesnerd : weird glitch in the spoiler

I finally finished any map in BTSX's shareware version, albeit without 100% :) The end was very epic and I suspected more maps but the writing at the bottom of the ocean said "To be continued"

Before I finished this I also finished the following earlier:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Vanilla Doom 2 on UV

Ultimate Doom's first three episodes with Beautiful Doom on HMP

Vanilla "Thy Flesh Consumed" on ITYTD

I guess it's time to play with Plutonia or zPack

Edited by HitelbeVettBor

Two maps left on Survive in Hell then onto Community Chest 3.  In the past, I haven't been the biggest fan of community driven projects but right now they're giving me some much needed variety.

started Akeldama, got around to level 20 something, was starting to get frustrated and the Isolation beta came out so I've been playing that instead. Already finished Strain 1 once, downloaded the new beta and I'm now replaying it. just got back from the secret levels..

Running CC1 on TSPG with Complex Clusterfuck and SNES jukebox. Pure love. If anybody wants to join me, it's the Clusterfuck Ragequit Club.

Back To Saturn X's Episode 1 was competently put together, but left me cold. There were a couple gems that I found myself returning to, but it wasn't until I played the sequel that I became a fan of the project. I think I'm just more partial to gloomy castles and dungeons than I am to bright & shiny military bases, and that positive first impression was aided by the fact that this time, all the midis contained the amount of melancholy and menace I crave.

When I reached Episode 2's MAP06, it was a little odd at first to find myself back in the previous chapter's setting, but those decorative ruins outside the playable area justified the level's place in the campaign, and really gave that classic "Shores of Hell" feeling of a science base built to study these ancient ruins (and eventually unlock their terrible secrets).

BTSXE2-MAP06.png.d040eabd41619299620669efe627d6c4.png

Revisiting it, I found the map to be kind of miserable from pistol start, but I still think the lighting & architecture looks great. In particular, it's got the best-looking crate maze I've ever seen.

Edited by head_cannon

I recently replayed Memento Mori 1 and I feel it still holds up. Then again, I'm a sucker for maps from Doom's early days. Then I played Revolution, using the awesome midi pack that @Jimmy put together.

Now I'm giving the Back to Saturn X shareware a go. When I'm finished I might just spend some money to get the full version. I think I'm on map12. I'm still getting used to the difficulty of the maps. It isn't super hard, but it does put a lot of pressure on the player. It is a great mapset so far, for sure.

No Sleep For The Dead

I don't generally enjoy E1 maps, with all those imps, pinkies and Startan, but this was pretty fun and interesting. A very decent bonus level is included as well.

Still picking away at a Pistol Start playthrough of Back To Saturn X Episode 2. MAP15 is exactly my idea of fun: each of the three paths out of the entrance split and then split again, creating tons of possibilities of where to go. There are redundant weapon pickups scattered across the level to make nearly all of these paths viable options, although some are clearly more optimal than others. Getting to try something different with every single restart is a panacea against burnout, and finally learning my way around and settling on the optimal use of resources is a satisfying conclusion to all that struggle. It's not often that I'll attempt a saveless run on something that takes an entire hour to complete, but The Theory Of Broken Circles was fun to master and thankfully eschewed any instakill bullshit.

BTSXE2-MAP15.png.0678993fa2f074bb95285f9edcc43963.png

Edited by head_cannon