Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
icecoldduke

Heretic 2 Contrast Adaptive Sharpening, OpenAL EAX, and more

Hey

Awhile back I started a thread entitled "recreating the Heretic 2 source code". I've been getting a lot of different requests on what happened, but I want to start over with something a bit more modest in scope.

So here's what I have so far:

I have a custom Heretic2 launcher that basically does the following:

• Adds Contrast Adaptive Sharpening pass.
  • Adds widescreen, and fov/brightness support.
  • Adds music support.
  • Fixes numerous buffer over flow bugs.

I also have a custom WndSnd.dll that does the following:

• Adds OpenAL support.
  • EAX reverb.
  • Positional Audio. 

I also have a custom game/client effects/player DLL that does the following:

• Fixes numerous buffer over flow bugs.

Download:

https://github.com/jmarshall23/Heretic2CaS/releases/tag/0.04

To use:

Extract to your Heretic 1.06 directory. Must be a CLEAN install! To start the game, do NOT go through the menu(or you will crash). Instead type "map ssdocks" or load a save game.

r_brightness controls the brightness with CaS on ONLY.

r_fov controls the FOV.

MUSIC: If you want music, you need to convert the cd audio music to wav files and structure the files/directory like this. https://imgur.com/a/aDReZ0F

I've been waiting quite a while for updates on what you've been doing with Heretic II. Thanks for coming back to this great, forgotten game. Hopefully, you can keep building on this.

EDIT: I've given it a try, and the framerate in-game seems to be capped. Any way of fixing this, or is it something you have to work on?

Edited by SonicWind

2 hours ago, SonicWind said:

I've been waiting quite a while for updates on what you've been doing with Heretic II. Thanks for coming back to this great, forgotten game. Hopefully, you can keep building on this.

EDIT: I've given it a try, and the framerate in-game seems to be capped. Any way of fixing this, or is it something you have to work on?

Its on my todo list.

I got a basic code injection to load PNG textures instead of the low res M8/M32 textures, and I ran all of the textures through ESARGAN

image.png.cd8873dd524051bf88e0e493edb9cb1f.pngimage.png.1f788081aae16aa6880ff1410bced32f.png

Heretic 2 HD texture packs and making them using (ESARGAN).
I was reading about "ESARGAN". It's a nice program although I believe in order to use it you need a decent amount of ram of more than 4gb and a very fast CPU which I do not have unfortunately and you still might need to cleanup any noise afterwards.
Any suggestions???

*Anyways, I have converted all the" textures in the "Heretic II texture" folder to "PNG" format so far. I just need to get "ESARGAN" to work. Smile!!!
----------
You wrote:  (I got a basic code injection to load PNG textures instead of the low res M8/M32 textures, and "I ran all of the textures through ESARGAN) ".
Do you have any "Heretic 2 HD texture packs" made presently with the work you already did that you might be able to share icecoldduke?

The video you made looks awesome man!!!

----------

Will we be able to use any of the Heretic II "Mods"?

----------
I do have though in the "Heretic II Archives" on "GoogleDrive" and all the "Heretic II" files for the game. This includes all the maps, textures, etc... that were made up to December 2019.

Heretic II Archives:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1oR6NAeMGz4-kNUNR2hMBZOSUWciBemzy

Heretic II Mapping tutorials and utilities folder:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1bmuIIibesRapE-qaPqsEirHZOEArfVAP?usp=sharing

base folder files all in one zip: (1.20 GB) zipped.

"all the (Heretic II) arenaicons, maps, models, pics, players, skins, sprites, and texture" files.

download link:

"https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1y4jmdiFHPXD3YBrxIdROcMaNrqBdsMUg?usp=sharing"
----------
Regular game settings: just type in the console window.
framerate in-game = (set cl_maxfps 30-60) is the normal settings.
set sc_framerate "60.0" (normal settings), set sc_framerate "100.0"
set cl_yawspeed "300" = optimal settings
rate 5000 (normal settings)

game settings server sided using the "Tmod Mod" has a (set maxfps) and (cl_maxfps)
----------

Edited by bladerunner : update

Oops! Sorry for the double post.

Heretic 2 HD texture packs and making them using (ESARGAN):

icecoldduke your settings for (ESARGAN) to make Heretic 2 HD texture packs...

What are the "best settings" to use to get the best results for the textures using (ESARGAN)?

I converted all the textures in the (Heretic II "base/texture") folder so far to "PNG" only.

--------
base texture folder converted to PNG.zip (124 MB).

download link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15RL2hooGfDaimJPHUVDL1_pRm48eAEIB/view?usp=sharing

On 10/15/2019 at 12:42 PM, icecoldduke said:

Heretic 2 HD texture packs and making them using (ESARGAN):

icecoldduke your settings for (ESARGAN) to make Heretic 2 HD texture packs...

What are the "best settings" to use to get the best results for the textures using (ESARGAN)?

I converted all the textures in the (Heretic II "base/texture") folder so far to "PNG" only.

Question: Do you have any completed "Coop Maps" packs available for download?

--------

download link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15RL2hooGfDaimJPHUVDL1_pRm48eAEIB/view?usp=sharing

Its on my todo list.

I got a basic code injection to load PNG textures instead of the low res M8/M32 textures, and I ran all of the textures through ESARGAN

image.png.cd8873dd524051bf88e0e493edb9cb1f.pngimage.png.1f788081aae16aa6880ff1410bced32f.png

Edited by bladerunner

Icecoldduke's (How to conversion guide) using "ESARGAN".

Icecoldduke (How to conversion guide) "so you can do the conversion work yourself."

Heretic 2 ESARGAN Upscale with Contrast Adaptive Sharpen:

Quote- "I just got a code injection working were I can load PNG HD textures, and I ran all of Heretic 2's textures through ESARGAN."

Icecoldduke's basic code injection - Heretic 2 HD texture packs and making them using (ESARGAN).

"Basic code injection to load PNG textures instead of the low res M8/M32 textures, and run all of the textures through ESARGAN."
------
You said... "Obviously I can't release the textures, when I "release a binary", I'll release a (how to conversion guide), and you'll have to do the conversion work yourself."

But the results look good.
--------
I am still hoping/waiting for that (how to conversion guide), so I can do the conversion work myself.
--------
So far, I converted all the textures in the (Heretic II "base/texture") folder to "PNG" only. (Each "PNG" texture is in the "m8" original folder layout) without the "m8" files.

*Note: These are just "m8" format conversions to "PNG" without any upscaling done to the texture.
I was hoping to run all of the textures through ESARGAN, but having a lot of difficulty getting this to work!!!
-------

download link:

Is there anyone that can help with this conversion work. I am having a lot of trouble understanding how to use and get "ESARGAN" to work.

Apparently, I am not going to be able to accomplish anything else or do this properly. My computer is not going to have enough "ram" memory.

Also, I have not found any "Coop Map" packs available for download. Any help from the community?

Guest MIND

This game is still on my "to play" list.

Heretic II MUSIC: converted to wav format. (tracks 1-14) (380 MB)

The music.zip download link I provided has all the Heretic II music tracks converted and renamed to "wav" file as stated in the forum and from photo provided icecoldduke. I used "CDex-2.23" to extract the music.

Music.zip download link:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1d-1mTtHpxxE8WbUiv-rQO1bBJM5RHcd-?usp=sharing

--------
icecoldduke:

https://github.com/jmarshall23/Heretic2CaS/releases/tag/0.04
--------
If you want music, you need to convert the cd audio music to wav files and structure the files/directory like this.

https://imgur.com/a/aDReZ0F

Includes some buffer overflow fixes, see // jmarshall tags.

I used the custom Heretic2 launcher "Heretic2Portals" application  and to start the game. I notice two warning messages when I start the Coop game. Does anyone know what that is and how do I fix it?

See game photo below for error message:

https://imgur.com/a/HdUvM1i

Edited by bladerunner

Well, all I know is it means the stuff mentioned is out of date, but other than that, I don't really have a clue. This is a port that's very early in development, so that might have something to do with why this hasn't been ironed out.

When playing Coop the game sometimes crashes when I change the map to a different Coop map from console. Is this a bug or something I am doing wrong? Coop maps have no problem loading textures though.

I also noticed a problem when loading deathmatch maps. Some map/texture folders have sub-texture folders and when the map loads there are no textures visible. Example, dmhysteria and dmcountry map will not load textures.  Although, other maps do just fine like phoenix, etc...

I am not sure if it was meant to play deathmatch or just Coop maps. Damn!

Overall Coop appears to play pretty well and the client effects work great! 🙂

I am not sure what I am doing wrong or if it is a bug that needs fixing.

-------

Anyways, I do not think you can use PNG textures with the Heretic2CAS_0.04 unless you use q3map2 and q3radiant to load and create maps which I can't get my hands on which is a Bummer!!! As is it still uses the Heretic II (Htic2-0.pak and Htic2-1.pak) to play Coop right????

Anyways, it is taking me a long time upscaling all the Heretic II textures to PNG. from there normal size to (4x). I just finished up to the Canyon folder. I will let you know when I finish them all. Smile! I am using Topaz A.I. Gigapixel to do this since I could not get my hands on icecoldduke's ESARGAN (How to conversion guide). I like to know what models he used for ESARGAN .

I have a question... Once I finish the upscaling etc... all the textures do I have to downscale them back to there original size???  Does anyone know? Also, can I use the PNG textures with the "Heretic2Portals" application. So far it does not seem to do so...

Spoiler

Did anyone by chance get there hands on the "modified q3map2 and q3radiant" to load and create maps for the new renderer. I would love to try re-mapping some of the old maps I did for Heretic II for my own pleasure. Thanks in advance!!!

I hope icecoldduke didn't quit on this project "Heretic2Portals" Mod. I really would love to see  Heretic II  "hi-res graphics textures Mod" like there is for Quake, Doom, and Hexen that loads up HD graphics textures in a "pk3" format and also allow you to create new maps.

Anyways, I am still working on converting all the Heretic II texturesnot just the "Coop" textures to "hi-res graphics (PNG) but it is taking a while for me to finish.

4 hours ago, bladerunner said:

I hope icecoldduke didn't quit on this project "Heretic2Portals" Mod. I really would love to see  Heretic II  "hi-res graphics textures Mod" like there is for Quake, Doom, and Hexen that loads up HD graphics textures in a "pk3" format and also allow you to create new maps.

Anyways, I am still working on converting all the Heretic II texturesnot just the "Coop" textures to "hi-res graphics (PNG) but it is taking a while for me to finish.

Let me know when you have a entire pack of HD textures for Heretic 2 and I'll quickly put in HD texture support. 

Hello icecoldduke.

Great! I am still working on completing all the textures and should be finished soon. As of right now I am converting the all to PNG x4 in size. After I finish that I can easily re-adjust them back to there original size etc... if needed.

Hello icecoldduke.

I finally finished converting all the Heretic II textures.

AI-enhanced Heretic II HD textures PNGx4 (6.63 GB).zip

download link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iIWHbbYHMUD3RP_gcb3gcAMBE-ERDM90/view?usp=sharing

------------

*Note:  Heretic II multiplayer is mostly played now a days using the "Mods" (THF, Tmod, Emod, and Siege). They have bot support. The Mods can found on Google Drive Heretic II Mods folder if you are interested. Tmod/source code is available in the folder as well. It would be great if the Mods worked with this.... Thanks in advance!!!

Google Drive Mods folder:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1wThoeA4_S5Cdq2f8Q-vSCRV_GmxS3n_8?usp=sharing

Edited by bladerunner : update info

@icecoldduke,

A few weeks ago, Topaz released Video Enhance AI. Topaz Video Enhance AI isn’t capable of passing audio so I had to combine them off myself. I am hard of hearing so I might have messed the timing up a little. But here is how it looks redone.

Topaz Video Enhance AI Heretic II "Intro & Outro Cinematics MP4.

Is there a way to replace my Topaz Video Enhance AI Heretic II "Intro & Outro Cinematics MP4 files" for the intro.smk and outro.smk when playing the game?

Topaz Video Enhance AI Heretic II "Intro & Outro Cinematics MP4 download link:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1v3VeWN539BYcU_6vQ01xdY0LF2nrTgcI?usp=sharing

16 hours ago, bladerunner said:

icecoldduke,

A few weeks ago, Topaz released Video Enhance AI. Topaz Video Enhance AI isn’t capable of passing audio so I had to combine them off myself. I am hard of hearing so I might have messed the timing up a little. But here is how it looks redone.

Topaz Video Enhance AI Heretic II "Intro & Outro Cinematics MP4.

Is there a way to replace my Topaz Video Enhance AI Heretic II "Intro & Outro Cinematics MP4 files" for the intro.smk and outro.smk when playing the game?

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1v3VeWN539BYcU_6vQ01xdY0LF2nrTgcI?usp=sharing

Protip: Shoot the Cyberdemon until it dies - You can tag Icecold by using the @ and then typing his name directly. That way he will get notified if he has settings set that way. :)

On 3/8/2020 at 3:35 AM, Redneckerz said:

Protip: Shoot the Cyberdemon until it dies - You can tag Icecold by using the @ and then typing his name directly. That way he will get notified if he has settings set that way. :)

The easiest way to get a hold of me to is to go to my IcedTech discord channel :). It’s part of the idtech 4 discord channel group. 

https://discord.gg/uxvdz7E

Realistically I’ll get to this in a week or two. 

No news from icecoldduke... Anyways, I recently downloaded each map and texture etc... from my server to a new Heretic II install to be sure I got each working map, texture, sky etc.. and then re-did the Heretic II PNG textures.

Now I have a PNGx4 zip for all the existing "Heretic II maps" ever made and work, and a PNGx4 zip for all the existing "Heretic II textures" even if no map uses them etc...

I also did a PNGx4 zip of all the "COOP" textures in a separate zip in case any one is interested in that too! Now I just got to upload them to the Heretic II archives.

Heretic II - all the map textures. (PNGx4) folder -Heretic II HD map textures PNGx4 (2.58 GB).zip

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OWVF9thlysDVjfs0O2ZkF4ZEOwJCjOGL/view?usp=sharing

1 hour ago, bladerunner said:

No news from icecoldduke... Anyways, I recently downloaded each map and texture etc... from my server to a new Heretic II install to be sure I got each working map, texture, sky etc.. and then re-did the Heretic II PNG textures.

Now I have a PNGx4 zip for all the existing "Heretic II maps" ever made and work, and a PNGx4 zip for all the existing "Heretic II textures" even if no map uses them etc...

I also did a PNGx4 zip of all the "COOP" textures in a separate zip in case any one is interested in that too! Now I just got to upload them to the Heretic II archives.

As I mentioned before in the chat you can convert your images to m32 files. It wouldn’t hard to write a png to m32 converter I even think gtkradiant has one. M32 even by today’s standards is a good format, no resolution ceiling, 32 bit and has a mip chain.

Im focused on Darklight arena right now but I’ll get to this when I can.

Gods! LOL! it took me a so.... long just to convert each M8 to PNGx4. hahaha. Dude I am not a programer by any means and a batch png to m32 within sub folders would be sweet or something that works. I don't see any program online that does png to m32 Googling. I'll check gtkradiant though... Is that the only option? I am new to GtkRadiant and FROM APPEARANCES I SEE NO MEANS OF DOING IT... I don't mind helping out but some things I just can't do...

Also, the Topaz Video Enhance AI Heretic II "Intro & Outro Cinematics MP4 replacement I made... or using some othervideo format.

Is there a way to replace my Topaz Video Enhance AI Heretic II "Intro & Outro Cinematics MP4 files" for the intro.smk and outro.smk when playing the game or using some other video format?

Edited by bladerunner

icecoldduke...

Sof m32 Tool Graphics Utility (m32toolbeta2) at filefront. M32Tool converts TGA, etc... to M32 file format. supports textures upto 1024x1024 pixels. M32Tool supposedly it can create all the mipmaps. It will not convert PNG though...

I spoke to icecoldduke and he said go ahead and do it... The utility is slow converting each PNGx4 to TGA to m32 so this is going to take me a while, but the utility seems to be making m32's. Lets see how it works out.

Ignorant in NYC...

Edited by bladerunner

I finally finished all the Heretic II textures to M32.

Heretic II (M32) textures zipped. (5gb)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R5Bza5Rn-JXQsUij8ra3IZvts2GIy340/view?usp=sharing

But, apparently the maps do not work with M32 textures. Example:  My Heretic II "dmcountry" map I made with "M32" textures and zipped below for you to check. I also provided the "M8" textures in the zip as well. Suggestions!!!

dmcountry map download link: (49.1 MB)

"https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nXcDQHLeTBst832BDQuACXi8ruJ4dSU7/view?usp=sharing"

Please don't tell me I spent all those weeks converting all those Heretic II "m8" to "PNG" to "m32" for nothing... You said it works with M32 textures???
----------
You said:

"I have a basic code injection to load PNG textures instead of the low res M8/M32 textures."

"Let me know when you have a entire pack of HD textures for Heretic 2 and I'll quickly put in HD texture support."

"As I mentioned before in the chat you can convert your images to m32 files."

Edited by bladerunner