Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sergeirocks100

Satanic Infestation Open IWAD Project (CURRENT VERSION v0.0.5)

Welcome to the Satanic Infestation project!

satanttl.png

INTRODUCTION:

Satanic Infestation is my fork of Freedoom, because i disagree with the way it’s going, the project seems to go in a lot of strange directions that don't go well with a Doom or Doom 2 IWAD replacement, all of the references to Satanism are gone, a lot of the new assets go in odd directions that don't mesh all that well, and it generally doesn’t capture the vibe of what i think a open IWAD should be.

My goal is to make a 100% free IWAD that is a better fit for what i think an open IWAD should be, the assets will all be more cohesive and make more sense with third party PWADs, i’m only using Freedoom as a basis, as time goes on, i will replace more and more of Freedoom’s assets with my own, and, eventually, all of the old assets will be replaced, anybody is free to contribute assets, but i plan for this to be more or less something of my own making, further details on rules and other information about asset contributions can be found below.

Credits go to the Freedoom contributors for making it easier for me to do this project by providing their assets, thank you to them, and thanks in advance to anybody who submits their work to this project

SUBMISSION RULES:

Spoiler

1: All maps must be limit removing or vanilla compatible, and use no textures that aren't in the approved list, all maps must also come in at 384 kilobytes or less.

2: When testing your maps, be sure to test them in the latest version of Crispy Doom, as that is the source port target of the project.

3: Maps for the future GZDoom version of the project should be tested in the lastest versions of GZDoom, LZDoom, and Zandronum,

i don't care for ZDaemon, so testing in it isn't necessary.

4: MIDIs of all genres are accepted.

5: When it comes to textures, use IAC instead of UAC or AGM, templates for the IAC logo can be found in the /patches folder in the Github.

6: Don't use WADs outside of maps, for other things, like sounds or textures, put them in a zip file, it avoids the problem of me needing to open a WAD in SLADE and move them to the deutex tree.

7: Please put sprite offsets in a text file instead of putting them directly on the images, it's quite a chore to have to open each individual frame in SLADE and then copy the offsets to the buildcfg.

8: Don't use nonfree assets, i intend for this project to be 100% free for commercial use and public domain, and i can't use assets such as assets grabbed from commercial products and non-commercial assets in a project of this type.

9: For audio contributions, i encourage that you provide a lossless version of the audio alongside the lossy version, i do plan on using 44khz audio for the eventual GZDoom version of the project, and having lossless versions of the audio already would be great.

10: All contributions must have a license attached to them, the exact license doesn't matter, if it's a permissive free license that allows for commercial use, such as the 3 clause BSD license, the public domain through a waiver of your choice, or Creative Commons, i can use it in the project, although use of the public domain is strongly encouraged.

APPROVED TEXTURE LIST:

Any texture that can be found in the TEXTURE1 or TEXTURE2 of Doom or Doom 2

LINKS:

Github: https://github.com/sergeirocks100/satanicinfestation

Development Forum: (REDACTED)

Screenshots: http://satanicinfestation.tk/screenshots.html

It seems like, during my absence, the .ml domain which i used for the website expired, and it now redirects to some seedy website.

Because i don't want people to possibly fill their computer with viruses, i've removed the offending links.

Edited by sergeirocks100

i don't have any screenshots or concept art yet, but i'm already doing some work on the project, which you can see in the github page, i also plan on scrawling up some designs for the replacement enemies and putting them somewhere public, either as a guideline for myself or for others, likely the latter because i'm not any good at making sprites

one more thing i forgot to mention, instead of using UAC or AGM, use IAC, i made a logo in inkscape, which you can find in the patches folder on the github

i made some concept art for the cyberdemon replacement, it's in the concept art folder in the github page, it's a .xcf file, meaning that you need gimp to open, although everybody is free to convert it to something else and upload it here

Edited by sergeirocks100

not in this capacity, no, i do have a half-completed fourth entry to Doomguy's pimp adventures which i may or may not complete at some point, but that's outside the scope of this thread

here's some more concept art, this time for the demon replacement

Spoiler

demon.png.ca531446fde15ce1d4d122f8a998b583.png

by the way, if anybody wants to make sprites for the project, let me know, i'm not very good at drawing sprites, and a helping hand would be wonderful

Edited by sergeirocks100

i'm sorry, but i'm not that good of an artist to begin with, and that's exacerbated when i have to draw with a mouse, however, if you feel like you can draw better than me, or you know a member of the community who can draw better than me, you or they are free to draw some assets up and contribute them to the project

more concept art coming through, this time, it's for the mancubus replacement

Spoiler

mancubus.png.a3d7abb49aa466b9a2781e93c2d294ca.png

by the way, if you want to take a look at how the project is going along, just drop by the github page

a half finished first map is now on the github page, once i get that done and add in some music, i will be able to release the first version of the project, that is, if i can figure out how to use deutex

While I do think the art is cute and simple, I think it is too simple.  As concept artworks, they would be very difficult to use as references because there is almost no detail.  For example, what does the Kobold's skin texture look like?  How does it look from the side or behind?  Even though the monsters would be pixelated sprites, there is still not enough information in the concept art to get an idea of what they're supposed to look like.

i agree, the art is too simplistic, but i just want to get some designs out, to lay down some groundwork and show the community what i'm creating, i can worry about things like orientations and detail when i have somebody to draw up the sprites, which i don't at this time

i've managed to mostly finish the first map and the new music is there, i believe we're ready for a test build, and it will be released when somebody here with a UNIXlike OS compiles the deutex tree

here are some screenshots from the first map

Spoiler

Screenshot_86.png.e345d61cb015bfe1a83cb29aa68a91d0.pngScreenshot_87.png.cede1bb441271e7a1696dd647ab36098.pngScreenshot_88.png.690eece4a86b5d82bec385ae212b98f3.pngScreenshot_89.png.d1d6ad039f3476df1517b1fde564057b.pngScreenshot_90.png.78a3c061c69edb3aaa6f6ff384c5c3d6.pngScreenshot_91.png.709da01de5cd7ac2901b9648157667d8.png

i use doom assets when making the maps to make sure i don't use any freedoom exclusive textures

stay tuned for some more concept art

23 hours ago, sergeirocks100 said:

i draw with the mouse in GIMP

well that's quite unfortunate, bud. I know some pros can made wonders with mouse, but you? I'd recommend to buy some non-expensive tablet, it will make your life bit easier. Like, Huion or XP-Pen.

I, personally, use One by Wacom, small variant. Not that cheap but it's decent product.

No seriously, it does makes things easier. Example based on your "revenant replacement"

Edited by Wereknight