Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Catpho

DBP22: Biotech is Godzilla

Oh god, with the quarantine in effect, we'll probably see a map pack like this every week?! I still haven't played DBP-20 yet.

wow, those shots look gorgeous, particularly the outdoor ones. I am in love with that theme

The maps look great as always, but is it just my molding brain imagining things or are they much more difficult than any other DBP?

I played it on HNTR and even then there were a lot of dickish encounters, like the MAP01 Ampere-Vile, monsters that teleport right in your face or behind you, the Oasis of the Mind blood sea, etc. Would just like to know if it was a conscious decision on your part.

Oh and...

Jl3nVGv.jpg

I can't say for sure, as I've not tried this mapset on any difficulty other than UV yet (and I'm only halfway through even then), but difficulty settings aren't often fully implemented. I know my maps always have difficulties in, but that's often not tested by anybody other than me... So that might be why this seems so harsh on HNTR. This does feel unusually difficult to me as well, even so, so you're not alone.

Yeah, my sense is that this is a bit more difficult than usual (although still a pretty modest challenge in the broad spectrum of Doom difficulty). I'm not sure about the difficulty settings--my map and Phobus' definitely have them, but strictly speaking they're a bonus feature for DBPs, though I try to always include them throughout my sets. I think glenzinho has a taste for DBP maps that lean on the more difficult side, and you can even see that in the bestiary here, where the lowly imp is a lot more lethal, as is the baron.

Plus, since this set is thematically about battling against nature's fearsomeness, we had to make it a little bit more of a challenge, given the situation we're all in! ;)

I've definitely need to play this, the maps look great!

I've finished my play through now - getting past MAP03 on continuous UV (in GZDoom, with mouselook and saves... I'm so feeble) feels like the point (for me) where the difficulty settles a bit and I'm used to the more threatening Imps and Barons. Of course, I'm the author of MAP04 and it's something silly like six or seven years old now, so I should find that easier to get through...

Additional props to joe-ilya, as his map defied expectations considerably, looking fantastic and being relatively light, breezy fun, yet still with plenty of his uniqueness. It's a really nice-looking set the guys have put together and rather fun, too. I'm not sure if MAP06 or MAP07 was my favourite, but they're both really nice, gorgeous and fairly lethal. I almost regret recycling an old map for this, rather than making something dedicated and really leaning into the theme like the others did.

Yeah this is a harder set (those dang imps shooting arachnotron plasma) which isn't exactly what I look for in a DBP (additional difficulty settings would be nice and welcome) but next month 40oz will return who started this whole thing with his clear vision to bring pleasant dooming to us pleasant Doom marines.

MAP06 is my favorite here. I found it a good challenge.

I don't want anyone to die too much or at all on the map I helped make with Gaspe so if anyone's having trouble with the blue key area there's a secret plasma rifle you can get with some vertical navigation before that with lots of plasma cells around to spray everywhere in the map. I'm trusting players will feel free to be more aggressive since there's a lot of health and armor pickups (because I also expect a lot of damage to be taken).

Edited by SuperCupcakeTactics

As an avid Godzilla fan, I think this is a must play for me. Especially since Sepultura is one of my favorite thrash metal bands and Chaos AD is my favorite album by them that features the song of the same name. Goodness. 

I'm on 2.5.1.7 UM and don't see that.

You're using Doom2 iwad right?

Does this happen when you try to load the wad or when the first level loads?

10 hours ago, DuckReconMajor said:

I'm on 2.5.1.7 UM and don't see that.

You're using Doom2 iwad right?

Does this happen when you try to load the wad or when the first level loads?

Yes, I'm using the Doom2 iwad.

And this happens when I try to load the first map. Maybe I'm using a older version of prboom (as the screenshot shows, I use prboom 2.5.0). Are you using the latest prboom+ version, right?

2 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

I use prboom 2.5.0

Why are you using such an old 2008 version of PrBoom?

This looks like a neat mapset.

I just played around a little bit in the first map. It looks really nice so far, but I gotta say that Archvile's electric attack hurts my eyes lol. Is there any way you could adjust that so that the flashing lights aren't so bothersome?

Edited by Lizardcommando

Is that the GLDEFS, or the sprite? If it's the former, you can edit them in the WAD to either deactivate them, or add attenuation (unfortunately, Zandronum doesn't support it, so we don't have it in GZDoom either). If it's the sprite... I guess you can delete the sprite replacement or do something to make it translucent?

Man, this is another great mapset, but OH DAMN! It is indeed very hard on UV, I got really stressed by the end haha.

And yeah, I don't think some of the maps change if you change the difficulty.

Was full of moments like this:

Spoiler

DOOM0007.png.451616b013ed09d4859666a4c22b3e12.png

Also the final boss stressed me out a lot too, lining up the rockets to it's mouth was really hard!

Still had a blast, with a bit of frustration, but it was not too excessive and at least there was always some way to avoid getting damaged.

4/5, looking up to next month (and gonna try to play the previous DBPs).