Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Beemer

Doomguy emits light, anyway of removing it?

I've started on a slow, horror-esque type map, and I want to the only sources of light to be from a torch and lamps scattered in the environment

So anyone know a way to disable doomguy's light emitting armor? 

PS: I'm running LZDoom on software mode coz my PC has little to no OpenGL support and it's really old

Thanx

Radiant doomguy, haha. In software, I don't think it's possible to get around it. One way of making it less pronounced with the walls is by making sure the player can't get right up close to them. 

You could add some really dark texture variants perhaps, and use them on the walls that aren't near the torches.

I'm currently using Otex but I could always just make it really dark, but shining a flashlight on it isn't really gonna look the best

Or just toy around the light constants in the source code. That is what I did in my port and now if you want you can remove that lighting (Real Lights NOTM).

If you use something other than ZDoom, the lighting effect won't be quite so pronounced. Doom's light-diminishing effect isn't supposed to make very dark walls become fullbright when you stand in front of them.

(I haven't checked in a while, though, so maybe ZDoom has fixed this in recent years.)

I haven't tried, but shouldn't you be able to disablefullbright?

Or are we just talking about texture/wall view when up close to a wall? ~ if that's the case then yeah, either the texture needs to be really dark or the render mode does.. gamma corrections maybe, or yeah make it so the player can't get close enough to a wall to get a brighter effect.

It is perfectly possible in OpenGL mode, but software is more tricky.  As far as I'm aware, the light fade effect is hardcoded into the renderer. 

Also, based on limited experimentation, I don't believe it's possible to have maps so dark you actually can't see any monsters at all in software mode.  Even at 0 brightness, monsters will still have a few pixels that show up in the dark.  

There is no easy way to circumvent Doom's weird lighting model. You basically have to live with it.

There is a rendering variable called R_Visibility in ZDoom unless they removed it since I last played. Setting it to zero will get rid of that light distance effect. Perhaps it's possible to force via an ACS script?

1 hour ago, Wagi said:

There is a rendering variable called R_Visibility in ZDoom unless they removed it since I last played. Setting it to zero will get rid of that light distance effect. Perhaps it's possible to force via an ACS script?

That's a horrible hack no one should use, and no you can't just force it using ACS. I guess you could use Zandronum instead and use the ConsoleCommand function (which is on it's way of being removed for 3.1 even though it's extremely useful) to set r_visibility to 0, but if you're gonna do that, you might as well just use the OpenGL renderer and cut the cheese.