Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Old-Doomguy

Is the wad and a sourceport all I need to play?

Hi all. I want to begin by thanking everyone here, this is a really good and helpful community. 

So I recently got back into Doom and I want to install it on a really old laptop where the wifi is broken and it has no ethernet. So I won't be able to access steam on it. Can I put the wad files and a sourceport on a USB and he able to play it that way?

You can even run Doom on a car. Of course an old laptop with barely any internet access can handle it.

• Spoiler

• A source port. (Assuming GZDoom in this case, since that's what you are seemingly using so far. Because you are going to play on an older machine, I suggest you to try a more lightweight one)
    • An IWAD.
    • (OPTIONAL) A (or more) custom mod(s) you want to play (e.g Smooth Doom).
    • (OPTIONAL) A frontend (e.g ZDL)

The IWAD is what contains all the game data. You don't need any other file from the Doom installation directory. You do need, however, all the files the source port comes with, there's generally some extra data and a few dlls.

13 minutes ago, Boaby Kenobi said:

You can also use DOSBox instead of a source port.

Wait, how do you load a .wad without a .exe ._.

Unless you meant vanilla .-.

16 minutes ago, Boaby Kenobi said:

You can also use DOSBox instead of a source port.

Chocolate Doom and Crispy Doom still have much better FPS (I think you can make it uncapped) as well as them looking as much as vanilla.

4 hours ago, apollyon094 said:

Chocolate Doom and Crispy Doom still have much better FPS (I think you can make it uncapped) as well as them looking as much as vanilla.

Only the latter. Choco Doom emulates vanilla Doom as closely as possible so uncapped framerate is out of the scope.

23 hours ago, Old-Doomguy said:

Hi all. I want to begin by thanking everyone here, this is a really good and helpful community. 

So I recently got back into Doom and I want to install it on a really old laptop where the wifi is broken and it has no ethernet. So I won't be able to access steam on it. Can I put the wad files and a sourceport on a USB and he able to play it that way?

Yes! Because from my experience. There's not much you need to play Doom on modern devices nowadays besides the 

1.IWAD

2.the sourceport itself (though judging from your what you said about your laptop, I'd probably would not Recommend GZDOOM. Try to use a more vanilla sourceport) and the files that it comes with. 

And optionally, a launcher like ZDL.