Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dragonfly

[FINAL RELEASE] Eviternity

@CINZAS Downloade Slade3, then you can extract them from OTEX. Maybe ukiro could provide the original source if you get in touch with him?

Cheers Doomkid; that's the same advice I gave to them after they'd appeared on the Eviternity Discord. :)

So I'm playing it on hmp, since I'm trying to come back into Doom slowly but steady after approx 20 years hiatus.

Im on the snow episode map 3. I just survived a room with 2 archies, a pack of imps and the reward - two revs!

I'm loving the themes but I've never been a fan of damaging floors which there was plenty of in the earlier episodes. 

The new caco scared the shit out of me on the first meeting, lol. 

The game with eviternity is way more enjoyable than the modern dingle player shooters. 

Fantastic job 

So I've just started this recently, and it looks great. However some of the skies look weird in GZDoom's software mode (as well as ZDoom).

yWuo20El.png

I assume this is not what you meant for it to look like...

There's (AFAIK) no way to make skies taller than 128 pixels look correct in all source ports. So we focused on Boom and GZDoom with hardware rendering. GLBoom and GZDoom in software (there are multiple modes) were deemed lower priority.

Fair enough! I assume Eternity looks the same as PrB+ in software mode?

Eviternity has been in [FINAL RELEASE] for a while now, so I don't expect you guys to revisit it just for some skies. But if it comes up in the future, I think you could get around the problem by:

* Making GL skyboxes for GLBoom and GZDoom (I am working on a tutorial thing for making skyboxes since it seems not too many people know how to do them, especially without 3D rendering)

* Using ZDoom's TEXTURES lump for software rendering in ZDoom and specify a "high-res" texture, like you've done for Eviternity. IIRC if your sky textures are at least a certain height (200 px?) then software ZDoom won't scale them regardless of what option you choose for Sky Render Mode.

* PrBoom+ (and probably Eternity) will ignore both of the above and just display the normal sky texture.

7 hours ago, plums said:

* Using ZDoom's TEXTURES lump for software rendering in ZDoom and specify a "high-res" texture, like you've done for Eviternity. IIRC if your sky textures are at least a certain height (200 px?) then software ZDoom won't scale them regardless of what option you choose for Sky Render Mode.

All that stuff is documented on the wiki.

So due to the whole COVID-19 situation, the planned photoshoot I had ended up getting delayed.

So in lieu of that, I got something commissioned.

Hi,

First of all, thank you so much for this WAD. This is the best Doom experience I have ever had.

I have recently switched to glboom+ as gzdoom was too slow on certain maps (most notably Transcendence). But I have noticed that switches don't change texture anymore when activated while they would under gzdoom. Luckily they do still activate, but it's kind of annoying. I am using comp level 11, so that should be no problem.

Does anybody know what could cause this issue?

Thank you very much for the kind words, I really appreciate it!

As for the switches, well, that... doesn't seem right. However as per the text file, we advise you run it in PrBoom+, not GLBoom+ as there's a whole host of graphical issues in GLBoom+.

On 4/13/2020 at 3:47 PM, ukiro said:

So we focused on Boom

You did not, because prboom-plus is a completely different animal from Boom and MBF. Eviternity is a member of a long line of "Boom compatible" or "MBF compatible" mods that have compatibility with neither. Eviternity is, at best, almost MBF compatible, and even then only with Woof, because it causes malloc errors under DOS on the bigger maps (DOS Doom engines can't handle more than about 58 MB of memory).

How good is the Boom compatibility for Eternity Engine? It's my favorite of these kinds of ports, despite being based on SMMU, I'm too stubborn to switch to anything else.

8 hours ago, Lila Feuer said:

How good is the Boom compatibility for Eternity Engine? It's my favorite of these kinds of ports, despite being based on SMMU, I'm too stubborn to switch to anything else.

Should be great, it was designed to work fine with both GL and Software-only ports - supposedly in even has a great COLORMAP for that now.

Just make sure you use an x86 build from DRDTeam though, 4.00.00 has some issues with Eviternity if I recall correctly.

12 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

Thank you very much for the kind words, I really appreciate it!

As for the switches, well, that... doesn't seem right. However as per the text file, we advise you run it in PrBoom+, not GLBoom+ as there's a whole host of graphical issues in GLBoom+.

Ah, I did not know GLBoom+ was so different from PrBoom+. I thought they could be used interchangibly. I finished the problematic map with GLBoom+ and subsequent levels with gzdoom again.

Again thanks so much!

11 hours ago, seed said:

Just make sure you use an x86 build from DRDTeam though, 4.00.00 has some issues with Eviternity if I recall correctly.

Yeah I need to get to updating my x86 stable build with an SVN sometime.

Hello!  I don't know if anyone else has run across this, but the sound that I know is supposed to play in Map 26 - Transcendence when the chains binding the hell tower are broken isn't heard when playing in GZDoom.  Is there a setting that needs to be changed in the source port to make this work, or is it a bug?

I don't know how "final" is "[FINAL RELEASE]" meant to be, but if there ever is will for a new release it would be great if UMAPINFO lump was added so the episodes / intermissions work as intended in PrBoom+um

1 hour ago, Ferk said:

I don't know how "final" is "[FINAL RELEASE]" meant to be, but if there ever is will for a new release it would be great if UMAPINFO lump was added so the episodes / intermissions work as intended in PrBoom+um

It is not an official update. But this post contains a download that contains UMAPINFO for eviternity.

https://www.bountysource.com/issues/92317279-feature-request-umapinfo-files-for-popular-wads

Please note that PrBoom+um does not yet support a graphic as intermission picture. I recently opened a ticket for this on github.

https://github.com/coelckers/prboom-plus/issues/121

does anyone know that you can actually run eviternity in dos

i realized people ran it with complevel 11 in prboom+ which is mbf compat level so i figured

why shouldn't i go and try it with actual mbf

it worked until i enabled high res thing which made it crash always

MBF does not support MUSINFO entities which this wad uses in some of the maps.

But I think it will not cause a crash, just show an error at the start of the map.

6 hours ago, alps said:

does anyone know that you can actually run eviternity in dos

i realized people ran it with complevel 11 in prboom+ which is mbf compat level so i figured

why shouldn't i go and try it with actual mbf

it worked until i enabled high res thing which made it crash always

It won't work on MBF 2.03, mainly because Eviternity's levels are build using extended nodes. But there is an unofficial MBF 2.04 build (on VOGONS I think) that might work, but even then I think you might need to rebuild the maps using a different node builder.

In short, it might be possible to run Eviternity on DOS but I am not sure it's worth the effort. Not to mention that map 32 might be too much for DOS/DOSBox to handle.

On 9/21/2020 at 7:21 AM, Dragonfly said:

I think it's a bug; sorry about that.

No worries!  Also, I've noticed the custom green invulnerability filter that shows up with PrBoom+ doesn't work in GZDoom; I just get the classic inverted filter.

8 hours ago, Bytefyre said:

No worries!  Also, I've noticed the custom green invulnerability filter that shows up with PrBoom+ doesn't work in GZDoom; I just get the classic inverted filter.

maybe that's for prboom+?, i had a gold tinted invulnerability filter which didn't work in gzdoom but did in prboom+

On 9/30/2020 at 5:05 PM, ReaperAA said:

It won't work on MBF 2.03, mainly because Eviternity's levels are build using extended nodes. But there is an unofficial MBF 2.04 build (on VOGONS I think) that might work, but even then I think you might need to rebuild the maps using a different node builder.

In short, it might be possible to run Eviternity on DOS but I am not sure it's worth the effort. Not to mention that map 32 might be too much for DOS/DOSBox to handle.

you can get in dosbox's config and bloat up the resources as high as you want, you can even emu pentium and run win95 on dosbox so i don't think eviternity would be anything difficult

even if 0.74-3 doesn't cut it, dosbox daum can

So Darkstar is now officially featured in a cosplay magazine.

Btw, don’t expect to see the last of Darkstar just yet, as not only do they have a few more upgrades to go, they’ll be going full Slayer in the not-too-distant future. That, and I’ve officially started work on a Darkstar-based version of the Marauder.

1 hour ago, Man of Doom said:

So Darkstar is now officially featured in a cosplay magazine.

I might be missing something, but how does this relate to Eviternity?