Map Format

What do you prefer?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. What do you prefer?

• ExMx
    • Mapxx
    • Hub style
    • Heh

Which do you prefer? Personally I think I like the ExMx and Mapxx better the Hub format.

From the list, I prefer the Episode format. I can skip ahead without feeling like a cheater.
But in general, I'd like to see more games that use a continuous format, like Half-Life and Messiah.

I like the hub type, but it can be confusing and very annoying if it's done wrong.

Ichor said:

I like the hub type, but it can be confusing and very annoying if it's done wrong.

I agree. I've tried a few HeXen levels where you had to go through teleportals constantly, and I mean constantly. Back and forth, back and forth, I hate that. Very annoying as you say, and it's not fun at all.

I'm the one who voted eXmY...I love the original format of Doom I. Very nice.

Hub format gives more of an RPG-ish feel.
ExMx has an epic quality (story chapters, etc).
Mapxx is fairly straightforward.

ExMx does it for me, though i'm using Mapxx moment. It utterly depends on the game in question.

Darkstalker said:

Since I play much more Doom2 rather than Doom and more familiar with Mapxx. Whats the point of this anyway ?

Heh, curiousity :)

hubba hubba.
[fact]Captain Mancubus's original filename was hubby.wad, because I was just figuring out how to do hubs. Slowly, it evolved, into what we know today.[/fact]

I like the shorter episode method better as a designer. On the other hand, the full doom2 method can lead to cool movie runs, especially speed runs.

It really depends on the storyline, if it has chunks that can be put into 2-4+ groups then ExMy style, straightforwardish story, MAPxy struct...and for a recurring storyline, Hub system.

Well. Sort of.

And Hub style.

Pointless use of hubs suck. Hubs can be put to good use, but some people go overboard with them.

ExMx works for grouping styles together, but in terms of story you can jump right to the last episode and complete the game without playing the previous episodes which kinda sucks (Starcraft gets a thumbs up in this department because it tells you that playing the episodes in order is a Good Thing(TM))

MAPxx format can be accused of being too linear, which does kinda suck.

Solution? Use MAPxx format to make hubs with episode selection much like Quake selects episodes :P

It depends on the application. Storylines that don't have too many maps are best put in the episode format, as are those that have chapters. Long storylines that can't really be broken up and have tons of maps are best in Mapxx format, as if you put them in ExMx, there would have to be something to explain the loss of weapons, ammo etc. between episodes. Hubs are good if you want to set each part of the story in a certain place (eg. a village or castle, with various parts of it being in the other maps in the hub).

Of course if there is no storyline, then it depends on the map designs instead. (grouping styles/themes as said above is good for ExMx, but also works for Mapxx, and indeed for hubs, too)

Heh format is definitely best. It just gives you so much more flexibility over how you play the game.