Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ElectroSpectre

Information Hecknology: A Boom-compatible Doom II map!

It's been quite a while since I posted my first-ever maps here. I got some really excellent feedback from the people here (thanks to everyone who played them!) and I decided to apply some of that feedback to a new map. Also, while my previous maps used Community Chest 4 textures and a couple of custom monsters, I decided to try my hand at a level using purely vanilla resources.

The result is Information Hecknology: a UAC computer lab shortsightedly built atop one of the gates to Hell itself. Cue the predictable ensuing...

infoheck1.png.8b7b8f1f21267f5df0ad21efaadf21e0.png

infoheck2.png.98020b1c9fc9a7bf5b8011e5e1734aae.png

infoheck3.png.9dde428a22edfb8221c99921afc4740a.png

infoheck4.png.13a2b50ef96531f9ad9b89380048be92.png

infoheck5.png.21abf134d66037bba4a15634e0853ef9.png

The map is designed to be playable in any Boom-compatible source port, and was tested in both GZDoom and Pr-Boom Plus. In terms of both length and difficulty, I'd say it's about medium-ish, but I think I'm a poor judge of my own map's difficulty and also not that great at Doom. I'm still quite new to mapping, so I welcome any and all feedback!

informationhecknology.rar. Enjoy!

Edited by ElectroSpectre : New version.

I've enjoyed the map and I really like the music choice! Although I would say the difficulty at some points is much higher than medium, but I'm not quite excellent at playing Doom either. Some moments were really nasty surprises which were hard to survive coming without prior knowledge of what you would be about to face. I'll admit I had to skip the last fight and just rushed to the exit. I'll put more specific feedback and screens of the texture errors I've found in a spoiler.

Spoiler

doom00.png.362e9d3cc236bb02372a9f8b10b80899.png

Small HOM there, due to floor size difference.

doom03.png.dfb7842479852cd0ebd60a500104ddce.png

doom04.png.596b8f58809684e2387e0b5b0ff618ea.png

doom05.png.2d6809cef547e0b80d7c1ed2145b939f.png

You can run out at the right moment to escape being closed in the blue key room, but I couldn't find a way back. This part can be really difficult if you come unprepared! I had to find the Plasma Rifle to be able to beat the 2 Arachnotrons and Spectres at the start, because I couldn't move around due to the Arachnotron's size. Another section that was a really nasty surprise was when a bunch of Mancubi, Revenants and an Arch-vile teleport in into a tight area while you wait for a door to open.

doom06.png.b27ef8d20d0d6ce1ea8e50055ed04e81.png

Not really an error, but an apparent texture misalignment.

doom07.png.6f26f1f892f8c246ff22a1ba4fce5cb3.png

Thanks for playing and for the feedback! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I've uploaded a revised version of the map that fixes some of the issues you noted. The ones I couldn't figure out were the ones in the second and last screenshots you posted; the glitch on the stairs and in the hell room. I could see them in Pr-Boom, but I don't understand what's causing them. If anyone can help me out, I'll gladly fix them!

Nice little map, but the final baron trap doesn't work. Firstly, you have more than one teleport destination in sector 958 and secondly, the baron became stuck in the wall after teleporting. There were several misaligned textures around the map, most prominently on linedef 1678. And you have several doors flush with the surrounding walls - it's not a bug, but it looks lazy.

The map is definitely over medium, it's pretty hard-ish, with crowded fights in pretty small places, but it's nothing excessive.

1 hour ago, ElectroSpectre said:

The ones I couldn't figure out were the ones in the second and last screenshots you posted; the glitch on the stairs and in the hell room. I could see them in Pr-Boom, but I don't understand what's causing them. If anyone can help me out, I'll gladly fix them!

If I'm not mistaken, the glitch on the stairs is due to the texture going over the floor, try raising the floor or removing that texture. If it's not that, then I'm guessing some line is not fitting in there.

On 4/3/2020 at 11:20 AM, Caleb13 said:

Nice little map, but the final baron trap doesn't work. Firstly, you have more than one teleport destination in sector 958 and secondly, the baron became stuck in the wall after teleporting. There were several misaligned textures around the map, most prominently on linedef 1678. And you have several doors flush with the surrounding walls - it's not a bug, but it looks lazy.

Thanks for playing the map! Yeah, aligning textures is definitely something I need to work on, especially since the auto-align tool doesn't seem to be fool-proof. I was struggling in particular with aligning textures in areas where there are windows; in the Boom format, you don't seem to be able to separately offset the upper and lower parts of a texture separately, so if I aligned the texture along the bottom part of the window, it would be misaligned on top, or vice-versa. I tried to compensate for it in a few places by adding walls that sort of jut out above the windows, but that doesn't look great either. 

I didn't know doors flush against walls were something that's looked down upon, but thanks for informing me! I'll keep that in mind in the future.

On 4/3/2020 at 12:45 PM, Senor500 said:

The map is definitely over medium, it's pretty hard-ish, with crowded fights in pretty small places, but it's nothing excessive.

If I'm not mistaken, the glitch on the stairs is due to the texture going over the floor, try raising the floor or removing that texture. If it's not that, then I'm guessing some line is not fitting in there.

Do you mean the texture on the side of the stair is going over the floor? I'm not quite clear on how that would happen, but I'll look into it when I get a chance.

I've updated the original post with a new version of the map. I've changed a few things I received feedback about. I've fixed texture alignment in a few places, most prominently the outdoor courtyard area, I fixed an issue where the blue key could be rendered inaccessible, I've altered a few details around the map, and I tweaked the final Baron trap. However, I still haven't been able to solve the visual glitches on the staircase and in the hell area, so I'd greatly appreciate any help with this.