Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ViolentBeetle

My second map: Borrowed Time

This is my second map release and my first exercise at making a more of a "slaughter map". In a way it resembles Dead Simple, featuring a large central arena, mancubi and a climactic battle against spiders. Or perhaps it resebles Courtyard more. The map was tested in Crispy Doom, I don't see why would it fail on any other port. I am also somewhat unsure of my texture choice, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Spider Mastermind is hiding in her fortress, sending waves of lesser demons to tire you out. She will reveal herself at about 3 minutes mark and at this stage you better have cleared the arena enough to face her. On ultra-violence map contains 135 monsters of all sorts, except for Pain Elementals, Arch-Viles and Cyberdemons. The map also features full set of weapons with everything except rocket launcher and BFG can be found in starting area.

Overall the map is short but challenging - I was only able to beat it on UV once myself - but time was less than 5 minutes. Lots of in-fighting fodder there as well. The map has fully implemented difficulty levels. I think Hurt Me Plenty is the optimal difficulty in the present state of the map unless you are really into fighting large crowds.

time3.png

time1.png

borrowed_time.rar

Edited by ViolentBeetle : Updated a few tweaks again.

When you hit that switch in the very first room and quickly move to the side you get crushed. This might be intentional, but in that case you see that the middle one of the three sectors has no textures on it's sides (it moves up further than the one sector you're standing on while getting crushed).

Screenshot_Doom_20200401_094231.png

It doesn't stop entirely, but it's slowed down as long as you're getting crushed.

@Clippy This is quality content. Your quest for soul sphere was the best part. Thanks for the insight on how monsters move, I'll try to improve their patterns.

That weird thing you found is Commander Keen. Its death is what opens Spider Mastermind's building. That's why it's called "Borrowed Time" - because you have about 3 minutes before Mastermind is released to clean up the battle area.

When I was playtesting my map, hitscanners didn't bother me much because I tend to stay closer to center and shoot them as they teleport in. Plus medkits are abundant enough.

Marble face is indeed a switch that lowers two platforms, I'm looking into creating better feedback for this.

38 minutes ago, ViolentBeetle said:

@Clippy This is quality content. Your quest for soul sphere was the best part. Thanks for the insight on how monsters move, I'll try to improve their patterns.

That weird thing you found is Commander Keen. Its death is what opens Spider Mastermind's building. That's why it's called "Borrowed Time" - because you have about 3 minutes before Mastermind is released to clean up the battle area.

When I was playtesting my map, hitscanners didn't bother me much because I tend to stay closer to center and shoot them as they teleport in. Plus medkits are abundant enough.

Marble face is indeed a switch that lowers two platforms, I'm looking into creating better feedback for this.

Chaingunners were never my friend ha ha. I had fun playing the map bud. Edpecially my second run. Keep em coming 💪