Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Kevin

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice Poll)

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice)  

369 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite source port?

Doom Explorer uses it's own downloader that checks the server's wad URL (if there is one) then falls back on a list of common Doom wad sites (idgames, dogsoft, doomshack and a few others). It works super well, you can even set it up to download all wads at once from different sources so that the downloads happen as fast as possible.

It also has not only ZD IRC, but the Odamex and Zand IRC channels as well (though ever since Discord came along, they're all but dead).

Chocolate Doom for vanilla experience

Crispy Doom for vanilla + QoL and raised limits

Prboom+ for general use with high compatibility

Gzdoom for advanced stuff

Edited by Spie812

Which ever meet your needs.

You can also check DOOM BFA, quite close to vanilla + QOL improvements + it can be used on DOOM 3 BFG Edition & DOOM 3 (Beth.net/2019)

Z-Doom on my laptop as the laptop has poor graphical ability. GZ-Doom on my desktop but that's mainly for PSX Doom TC.

Not really tried any others.

Legacy 2, KBDoom and Fusion, aka the-trifecta-of-ports-i-will-usually-say-with-questions-like-these.

1 hour ago, CrbnBased said:

Delta Touch!

Still debating if I want to make the huge investment so I can get in some doom at work.

Crispy Doom and PrBoom+ have been my newfound love since my laptop isn't good at handling something too intensive, they run big maps so well that it feels wonderful.

Slowly replacing GZDoom with LZDoom for the mods.

For multiplayer, I like Zandronum.

I'd say PrBoom+.  It has vanilla demo support and runs pretty well.

I've only ever used GZ Doom and Zandronum (for MM8BDM). What are other versions of Doom that people usually default to that I should test my maps with?

Besides the ZDoom family there's the Boom ports (PrBoom+ for example) and the Chocolate family (Chocolate Doom, Crispy Doom...)

It depends on your mapping format.

If you are targeting for ALL Doom players, GZDoom/Zandronum should suffice.

If you are aiming to ALL non-GZDoom family players, PRBoom+ alone is enough.

If you somehow like to map in the ancient Doom-in-Doom (or Doom 1/2) mapping format, Chocolate Doom/Crispy Doom are good contenders.

Singleplayer: 

• PrBoom+ supports everything for Vanilla and Boom, which means 95% of WADs.
  • GZDoom has a lot of advanced features, but screws up the vanilla compatibility.
  • If you want to play Heretic, Hexen or Strife, there are the Chocolate- ports. The only other port for them is GZDoom.
  • EDIT: Crispy Heretic exists. If you want to make limit-removing levels, but don't want to deal with ZDoomisms, use it.

Multiplayer:

• Odamex is a good classic port, but it's dead.
  • ZDaemon has some advanced features like slopes and water, but nothing too sophisticated.
  • Zandronum is full of diverse mods, you can call some friends and have a lot of fun.
  • If you want to play Heretic, Hexen or Strife, the Chocolate- ports also support multiplayer. Again, the only other port for them is Zandronum.

Other:

• Chocorenderlimits is a good port for testing vanilla compatibility, allowing you to place detail within vanilla limits. There is no equivalent for Heretic, Hexen and Strife, sadly, so for them it's trial-and-error.
  • PrBoom+ is unsuitable for testing your own WADs. Use Chocolate Doom for vanilla, Crispy Doom for limit-removing, PrBoom+ for Boom.
Edited by Kut

36 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

What?

It's unsuitable for testing vanilla WADs because it doesn't replicate the tutti-frutti effect. It's the only drawback I know.

The options are:

• Zandronum (Has OpenGL rendering, based on a old version of GZDoom)
  • Odamex (Software rendered and ZDoom based, has a true color renderer and supports multiple platforms officially)
  • ZDaemon (Software rendered and ZDoom based, has SSAA anti aliasing mode and extends ACS and especially DeHacked in significant ways, similar to the DEHEXTRA standard. Minus: Its closed source)
  • CSDoom (Old though.)

Odamex, Zdaemon, and Zandronum are the "big 3" that offer client/server netcode and thus most mp happens on those three ports. All of them have their pluses and minuses but it's good to be willing to play on all 3 for the best chances of finding games.

Beyond that everything else uses peer-to-peer netcode, which means that the game cannot advance without all those connected having both received and sent each packet. While this isn't a problem with smaller matches/duels, especially for those who live near each other, the more people that connect the more the lag grows, exponentially, getting of course worse with longer distances and worse internet providers. Still, some mp happens on these ports as well, although even the majority of that is likely purists playing chocolate doom or misguided souls trying to play an mp mod that uses zscript.

Zand does have a lot of non-modded matches that happen, but your absolute best bet to finding games would be to join the mp-oriented discords.

On 8/26/2020 at 6:19 PM, Fonze said:

Odamex, Zdaemon, and Zandronum are the "big 3" that offer client/server netcode and thus most mp happens on those three ports. All of them have their pluses and minuses but it's good to be willing to play on all 3 for the best chances of finding games.

Beyond that everything else uses peer-to-peer netcode, which means that the game cannot advance without all those connected having both received and sent each packet. While this isn't a problem with smaller matches/duels, especially for those who live near each other, the more people that connect the more the lag grows, exponentially, getting of course worse with longer distances and worse internet providers. Still, some mp happens on these ports as well, although even the majority of that is likely purists playing chocolate doom or misguided souls trying to play an mp mod that uses zscript.

Zand does have a lot of non-modded matches that happen, but your absolute best bet to finding games would be to join the mp-oriented discords.

And those discords are?

I just made this because I was wondering what source ports people have and haven't heard about So, Feel free to name some even the common ones