Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WowozuelaSpammer

Is Oblige banned in Doomworld?

They are both banned on the /idgames archive. No one can stop you from sharing lazy procedurally generated maps to Doomworld otherwise.

No, I am NOT implying Oblige to be bad. In fact, it's actually good, especially when you run out of WADs to find or play. The procedural generation get really obvious after a while, though.

Edited by TheNoob_Gamer

OBLIGE maps are indeed forbidden. I do believe rules to the exception exist, when these maps are significantly altered.

But by default, just make an original map, and use OBLIGE for inspiration regarding enemy, item placement and level structures.

I never understood the appeal of uploading a OBLIGE map as your own... Why bother putting such little energy into your submissions? Game mods are supposed to be a display of creativity (at the very least), so why bother with this, especially when most OBLIGE submissions will be caught in like two minutes or so?

I seriously lost track of the amount of newly registered users going:
- "Here's my first completed map."

+ "No it's not, this was generated with OBLIGE."
- "Sorry, you got me."

+ "Please don't do this again."

13 hours ago, versionfiv said:

oblige is antithesis to all the values of these original idsoftware games, a total heresy

no. just no.

2 hours ago, cambreaKer said:

no. just no.

i mean, fans of k-pop are walking around out there too. there's always gonna be people who respect prefabricated slop paraded around as art, you be you.

I like oblige and slige  I find it fun to play around with. I like seeing what the computer can come up with. I don’t see the problem using oblige as a basis for a map. I’m trying to conceptualize how much would be new content for it to be acceptable to me as new content.

14 hours ago, versionfiv said:

i mean, fans of k-pop are walking around out there too. there's always gonna be people who respect prefabricated slop paraded around as art, you be you.

how is oblige being paraded around as art. Part of the fun of doom for many people is just the mindless ass kciking fun that it generates. I don’t see how oblige is this horrific antithesis to doom mapping besides a person generating code for harmless entertainment.

Wasn't there a wad project that used Oblige levels as a base and then turned them into interesting levels in a creative manner? Not to defend Oblige, just as an example that you can be creative with anything.

32 minutes ago, Tetzlaff said:

Wasn't there a wad project that used Oblige levels as a base and then turned them into interesting levels in a creative manner? Not to defend Oblige, just as an example that you can be creative with anything.

i think that was slige

1 hour ago, Tetzlaff said:

Oblige doesn't need to be defended - it's a fantastic program. People uploading the maps as their own is just silly.

1 hour ago, cambreaKer said:

i think that was slige

Do you have a link? It was an interesting project.

@xvertigox: Yes, I should have been more specific. A great program to generate levels for yourself, but of not to be released as your own work.

6 hours ago, Tetzlaff said:

3 hours ago, cambreaKer said:

More recently than that, there was a community project named "Obligatory" that started sometime in 2018, I think. Unfortunately, with the search function being down, I can't link to it. From what I recall, the plan was to have 32 Oblige-generated maps that were then revised and "fixed" to have better flow, encounters, etc. I think it ended up getting something like 4 or 5 maps, but was never officially cancelled. I don't know if it made it on to Stormcather's thread of "Abandoned and Cancelled Community Projects" (which I also can't link to, on account of the search function being down, so I would have to comb through hundreds of pages to find it).

Thanks cambreaKer and Pegleg!

Yeah, it's about time the search function gets fixed.

30 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

More recently than that, there was a community project named "Obligatory" that started sometime in 2018, I think. Unfortunately, with the search function being down, I can't link to it. From what I recall, the plan was to have 32 Oblige-generated maps that were then revised and "fixed" to have better flow, encounters, etc. I think it ended up getting something like 4 or 5 maps, but was never officially cancelled. I don't know if it made it on to Stormcather's thread of "Abandoned and Cancelled Community Projects" (which I also can't link to, on account of the search function being down, so I would have to comb through hundreds of pages to find it).

here's the link for obligatory thread

I think Slige was just on the infamous list because there were some incidents back in dinosaur times involving dumb kids trying to claim Slige maps as their own work and making asses of themselves about it. There's nothing wrong with level generators themselves, but the air was thick with Drama back then.

9 hours ago, esselfortium said:

I think Slige was just on the infamous list because there were some incidents back in dinosaur times involving dumb kids trying to claim Slige maps as their own work and making asses of themselves about it. There's nothing wrong with level generators themselves, but the air was thick with Drama back then.

Pretty much this (at least from what i've read anyways). Like everyone else said they are forbidden to upload to the archive.

Also to my knowledge SLIGE isn't as advanced of a generator as OBLIGE is. I've never actually used either of them although i have played a few OBLIGE maps in the past that have been posted here as well as the auto generated SLIGE maps that are posted here daily.