Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Thorogrimm

The Scariest WADs?

What are the scariest or most unsettling WADs you know? Let's collectively bring some of the best horror the Doom modding community has together.

I forgot the wads name, but it was like a slenderman like wad with I think 9 or 10 maps you can choose. No, it is not Ghouls Forest, which is a scary wad also, and also no it is not Lasting Light.

EDIT: Also it is a sequel to another wad. With the same name just without the 2.

33 minutes ago, cambreaKer said:

uacmn.wad

11 minutes ago, Cynical said:

Asylum of the Wretched.

I'd suppose you'd do the OP (and perhaps others) a service if you guys also added links instead of just names.

1993.wad for ZDoom-based port, as described above. It takes away all the in-game MIDI's with total silence, as well as all other weapons, most enemies, and several decorations. You're only given a knife in order to survive and finish the levels as soon as possible. Easier said than done, as it features a grayish palette that makes it look very unsettling, and occasionally there are ghosts that will instakill you.

Spoiler

Rootpain, also for (G)ZDoom. Let the link speak for itself.

The original Doom's first 3 episodes are scariest for me. Knee Deep, Shores of Hell, Inferno. So spooky and evil. The levels just get weirder and weirder, like a descent in madness. 

Pyroscourge’s “S.U.P.E.R. Natural”. No weapons and with creepy and unsettling enemies and environments. Even in its demo form, it is by far the most terrifying wad I have played. I really hope it gets finished one day! 

Love Unloved so much. It's too fkn bad its sequel wasn't finished.

@eye.lid Yes Doom 1 is honestly pretty creepy at times which is why it's my favorite of the IWADs.

E: Sry, auto-embed failed me like it fails me on every other site.

That fuckin' Ghouls Forest thing a few years ago. That shit was scary as hell.

Project Horror is a good one if nobody has played it. It's got new weapons and all the enemies have their own horror gimmick

Not really scary but Tom19.wad has a weird ambience due to the lack of music.

No music sounds creepy for me haha.

1 hour ago, DukeOfDoom said:

Happy Time Circus and its' sequel. 'Nuff said.

Fantastic WADs there. Love them

I know im restarting an old forum, but, myhouse.wad. To summarize in three words or less?

Jesus.

F***ing.

Christ.

because, of course, happiness has to be fought for. 

myhouse.wad.jpg

I'll add a couple as well that I found to be fairly jittery to me at least.

• Fear And Loathing by Doomer Board Projects : This one has a Doom 3 aesthetic and does a really good job on creating a horror feel imo.\
  • Doom THOHT ADV-- This is a monster pack I made inspired by FEAR monsters. It gives OK jump scares and lives up to its acronym in its own right. I play my own mod and expletives run abundant when going against this pack due to jump scares, some minor willies, and a some dread due to the assymetric problems that the monsters bring in their unconventional-less than Doom style. 

Unloved wad + Malice monsters was one horrifying experience. The atmosphere so thick you constantly feel the pressure mounting. I legit sighed in relief when it was over. (in a good "i love horrors" way).  

Abscission for its consistently unsettling soundtrack, use of darkness, surreal elements, and attrition-based combat. Best of all, it's fully vanilla compatible and even makes use of some vanilla limitations and bugs for a couple of extremely disturbing secret levels.