Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nevander

[v1.5] Doom 64: Retribution

1 minute ago, D88M3R said:

Doomb question but interpolation should be on or off? How was it in the original game?

Talking about movement interpolation? From what I hear the original game was capped at 30 FPS, and the engine ticks are about 35 FPS. So you wouldn't have seen interpolated movement on the original. I think turning it off would be more accurate but might look stuttery, perhaps frame limiting to 30 FPS would be most authentic.

Graphics are a different matter!

Interpolation should be On. If you want a faithful port then go for Doom 64 (2020). The point of Retribution is to play a remastered version of Doom 64 with new features (like the new weapon animations) and the numerous huge advantages of GZDoom (like dynamic lighting, blood and bullet decals, ambient occlusion, res downscaling, the list never ends)

3 hours ago, D88M3R said:

Doomb question but interpolation should be on or off? How was it in the original game?

It's really up to you, but Doom 64 originally had no interpolation and it ran at 30 FPS. Now, GZDoom without interpolation runs at 35 FPS because the original Doom ran at that framerate, but it's closer to the original than with interpolation, which runs at whatever refresh rate your screen is running, usually 60 FPS.

Try the game with both options, and pick whatever you like better. I personally prefer running it with interpolation, it looks a lot smoother.

On 4/7/2020 at 6:39 AM, VGA said:

Interpolation should be On. If you want a faithful port then go for Doom 64 (2020). The point of Retribution is to play a remastered version of Doom 64 with new features (like the new weapon animations) and the numerous huge advantages of GZDoom (like dynamic lighting, blood and bullet decals, ambient occlusion, res downscaling, the list never ends)

wow i didn't know that blood splatted on walls and bullet decals weren't in original doom... i even bought it ! doom 2... i used to ask my mother to go to the mall and on my birthday i could buy 2 or 3 discounted videogames :D

On 4/7/2020 at 9:26 AM, Nevander said:

The TC is intended to be played with interpolation on and FPS higher than 30.

nice mod you made, i tried 4 levels and liked it, then i found out there is a super secret level exit in the first level, and decided to restart it in the future.

Are there map packs or megawads that use Retribution's resources and gameplay modifications, or is everything that works with Retribution shipped as single package with the TC itself? E.g. I've recently learned about Beta 64 and Community Chest for Doom 64 Ex and was wondering if authors also target Retribution as "platform" for their maps.

I don't know of any real (and released) maps for the TC yet, which is a bit of a shame because I tried to build the TC so it would be easy for mappers to make new levels with it.

10 hours ago, Nevander said:

I don't know of any real (and released) maps for the TC yet, which is a bit of a shame because I tried to build the TC so it would be easy for mappers to make new levels with it.

If I ever get enough time and willpower after i'm free of my gamedev duties for the year (soon), I could try making a map for it and see how well it goes. Maybe even expand it to a small mapset over time.

On 8/21/2020 at 10:33 PM, Nevander said:

i tried to add my gameplay rebalance to your mod, i didn't release anything since i am doing a second pass on the doom/doom2 version ^^, also thanks to your port i tried doom 64 and found the nightmare imp and i made a version for the standard game... every spectre spawn point now has 50% chance to spawn a spectre and 50% chance to spawn a nightmare imp...

Ran into a little snag on the Crisis map in the Absolution Levels, when I activate the camera to watch the Demon Key travel along the conveyor belt, I seemingly can't get out of the camera view, no matter what button I press. Don't remember this being an issue previously, am using the current releases of Retribution and GZDoom.

@Nevander

3 hours ago, Cursed Lemon said:

Ran into a little snag on the Crisis map in the Absolution Levels, when I activate the camera to watch the Demon Key travel along the conveyor belt, I seemingly can't get out of the camera view, no matter what button I press. Don't remember this being an issue previously, am using the current releases of Retribution and GZDoom.

Oh I think it is bound to a back specific key on the keyboard. I encountered that a while back and I remember fixing it by setting a bind somewhere. I think I ended up pressing the down arrow or "S" and it backed me out of the camera.

So I ended up finding this mod sometime back: https://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-64-vanilla-for-mods-1pk3-only-out-download/downloads/doom-64-vanilla-for-mods-1pk3-only-out-download

It's an interesting concept that I always wished someone would do and when I tested/streamed it, it worked well for the most part. It's not its own thing though, moreso seems like it's just a compilation of a bunch of different mods one of which was made by Nevander (The one that adds the Doom 64 weapons, or so the credits say). 

I'm just giving awareness to this because the mod, or at least some of the aspects of the compilation, seem unfinished. I would love to see something in this same vein as complete, especially since someone was working on models/sprites for the Doom enemies that weren't in Doom 64 (Not sure if they've been finished though). Would be cool to play the Ultimate Doom, Doom II, or even Final Doom in the skin of Doom 64.

4 minutes ago, DeathwingDuck said:

Would be cool to play the Ultimate Doom, Doom II, or even Final Doom in the skin of Doom 64.

If/When Erick releases tools for the Doom 64 ROM, this is precisely what I planned on doing - "Doom The Way Doom 64 Would've."

20 hours ago, Immorpher said:

Oh I think it is bound to a back specific key on the keyboard. I encountered that a while back and I remember fixing it by setting a bind somewhere. I think I ended up pressing the down arrow or "S" and it backed me out of the camera.

Any idea what the bind was? I'm looking over the GZDoom config file and I can't find anything relevant, and I've literally pressed every key on my keyboard to no avail. F12 (spynext) takes me out of view of the camera but I'm frozen in place and can't move/aim.

21 hours ago, Cursed Lemon said:

Any idea what the bind was? I'm looking over the GZDoom config file and I can't find anything relevant, and I've literally pressed every key on my keyboard to no avail. F12 (spynext) takes me out of view of the camera but I'm frozen in place and can't move/aim.

For me it was either the "S" key or the down arrow, if I am remembering right. I may have even had to go into the bindings and specifically bind a back movement key.

On 2/3/2021 at 5:45 PM, Dark Pulse said:

If/When Erick releases tools for the Doom 64 ROM, this is precisely what I planned on doing - "Doom The Way Doom 64 Would've."

Oh and if there are any C programmers around familiar with file import and export, feel free to send me a message. We can get some of these tools going.

2 hours ago, Immorpher said:

For me it was either the "S" key or the down arrow, if I am remembering right. I may have even had to go into the bindings and specifically bind a back movement key.

I noticed that in the config file, separate sections are dedicated to bindings for different GZDoom mods that are registered as IWADs. For example, the P.T. mod and the Castlevania mod both appear as IWADs in the GZDoom launcher and they have their own sections in the config file, [GZPT.whatever] and [SimonDestiny.whatever]. There is a regular [Doom.Bindings] section and all the bindings there are intact (the back command is registered as "S=+back"), but there is no section for Doom 64 Retribution, presumably because it is treated as a PWAD.

If it's worth anything, I'm starting D64:RTR through a special shortcut so I can activate fast monsters without playing the "hardcore" difficulty where the monsters respawn. The shortcut target field is as follows:

D:\Doom\GZDoom\gzdoom.exe -fast -file D64RTR[v1.5].WAD

EDIT: FYI, this problem also occurs in OUT03 - CONTROL during the switch puzzle that you have to check through the camera.

Edited by Cursed Lemon

Hi Nevander! When release next version doom 64 retribution? Maybe new levels or something? Thanx

On 7/9/2022 at 5:49 AM, Immorpher said:

Oh nice! I always appreciate a good shader!! :D

Thanks to you, I am having fun playing Doom 64 Reloaded. Thank you.

Nevander:although this is years late, I began playing this mod after purchasing doom 64 on switch, Xbox one, steam and got word of this as well. I play it on PC and mobile (delta touch). All I can say is I love it, play it more than EX or absolution and after reading this years long posting about your creation, you have done a great job. It's better than most AAA titles costing so much in retail games today. I have played all the other doom 64 mods but this is top of the heap..thank you for your hard work and never let negativity stop your creative endeavors. 

If the always run is on then you cannot back out from the camera

Edited by RJ0616

I feel like such a noob.  Once "always run" is off and a button is bound to +back this works fine.  

Edited by RJ0616