Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dmslr

Good wads with short maps? (like Scythe)

What are your recommendations? Currently playing Scythe without saves and having a lot of fun.

I would suggest Swift Death, but it is notoriously difficult. There is also skillsaw's first WAD, Sector 666. Only 11 levels (one of which is simply a room with the exit switch), and all are short and relatively easy.

I saw some good stuff here already, like Doomer Boards Projects, those are all fun as hell. Another one I'd like to mention is Going Down. Mostly short levels with a cheeky sense of humor. Some of the levels are pretty hard and/or gimmicky, nothing too bad though.

This are some of the best short to medium mapsets out there.

Take in consideration that Scythe-like maps, that is: fast paced run-&-gun mapset, are not so common. Maybe Demonfear is the one that come most likely to it, but thats because Erik Alm loved Demonfear soo much that he take that approach, and perfected it, for his own Scythe.

So every other ''short to medium'' mapset that you will found will be really different in style to Scythe (Endless Torture, for example, have really short maps but they are crampped and somewhat complicated to navigate sometimes, making it not soo much fast paced, but its really good in its own).

Perdition's Gate (D2-Vanilla)

DemonfearDemonfear Midipack (D2-Vanilla)
Revolution! (TVR!) + Revolution!MidiPack (D2-Vanilla)

TV1998 + TV1998MidiPack (D2-Vanilla)

Doom: The Rebirth + RebirthMidiPack (D2-Vanilla)

Endless Torture (UD-Vanilla)

Cleimos 2 (D2-Vanilla)

Doom 404 (D2-Vanilla)

H2H-Xmas + Doomxmas (the Ultimate Christmas experience in Doom :) (D2-Vanilla)

Kama Sutra (D2-Vanilla)

Khorus's Speedy Shit (D2-Vanilla)

NoisyDiarrhea (D2-Vanilla)

Plutonia 1024: The Plutinya Experiment (Plutonia-Boom)

Short Maps for Short People 1 & 2 (D2-Vanilla-limit removing)

3 heures d'agonie 1 2 3 (D2-Vanilla-Limit Removing)

CzechBox (D2-Boom)

Enjoy!

Hope you have a nice time!

If you're interested in just playing 1 map try my map bfbalon.wad located in IDGames. Make sure to play in ZDoom. Thanks for the thread I'll be checking some of these other wads out.

39 minutes ago, Kaiser_Wilhelm2 said:

If you're interested in just playing 1 map try my map bfbalon.wad located in IDGames. Make sure to play in ZDoom. Thanks for the thread I'll be checking some of these other wads out.

BEEF BEEF BEEF! BEEF BALOGNA!!

I had to give this a playthrough based on the name alone. I threw it up here

Spoiler

28 minutes ago, DuckReconMajor said:

BEEF BEEF BEEF! BEEF BALOGNA!!

I had to give this a playthrough based on the name alone. I threw it up here

Hide contents

Thanks! I appreciate that. I am surprised my chain gunner that hangs out right next to the teleporter didn't spawn.

9 hours ago, P41R47 said:

Perdition's Gate (D2-Vanilla)

Which version of Perdition's Gate do I use? The download you linked contains two WADs, PG-RAW and PG-RAW-X. I noticed the version on Doom Speed Demos Archive only contains 11 maps (the limited edition).

2 hours ago, Hard2Poop said:

Which version of Perdition's Gate do I use? The download you linked contains two WADs, PG-RAW and PG-RAW-X. I noticed the version on Doom Speed Demos Archive only contains 11 maps (the limited edition).

I downloaded from Wad Archive.

The author himself uploaded the original onto his website (the link P41R47 posted). But he has two versions of the WAD in that .zip so I'm confused. The two files only differ in size by 4 bytes, so I suppose there is no real difference. I opened them up in Slade and saw no differences while skimming. I opened the one you posted in Slade as well, and it seems this is an IWAD version, because it seems to contain every single sprite and sound in the game

@P41R47 , dude, have you actually played all of these? I downloaded them all because I assume they are your personal recommendations, but that is hundreds of maps to play!

3 hours ago, Hard2Poop said:

According to this, you're supposed to run PG-RAW-X for the full version.

50 Monsters is 34 vanilla levels of short and sweet violence thanks to the titular gimmick. Be warned that it's fairly hard on UV (think of it like a modern Plutonia), so if you want it to be a breezy play knock the difficulty down to HMP or HNTR.

Mini-level megawad by Wim Vanrie - a favourite of mine, along with the aforementioned Khorus' Speedy Shit.

Also, check out my Doom II: 25 Years on Earth 6-map demo. I'm four maps off of completing the set at the moment.

EDIT: Also, if anybody still has said 6-map demo, could you send it to me, please? I seem to have accidentally'd the link at some point and I've only got my WIP 28-map copy...

6 hours ago, Hard2Poop said:

@P41R47 , dude, have you actually played all of these? I downloaded them all because I assume they are your personal recommendations, but that is hundreds of maps to play!

10 hours ago, Hard2Poop said:

Yep, played all them already. But now i'm replaying them for rating purpose as i played them when they were released and, in that moment, never care for rate'em. Now its a matter of taking note what i had played and what not, because my Doom wad folder have... like 300 wads right now, and its memory start to fail, jajaja. After soo long playing all wads feel like the same uber-ultra-massive-super-megawad.

The perdition's gate wad you may use for playing is indifferent. I checked the difference between pg-raw-.wad and pg-raw-x.wad and its only one unused lump of difference, so whatever you choose its ok. I play with pg-raw-x.wad (the one that have the unused lump), but i played for a long time with pg-raw.wad and there is no change at all gameplay wise.

Thank you Senor500 and P41R47

dmslr, the reason that very old WADs will give you secrets for nothing is because if there are 0 secrets in a level, the game will say you got 0% secrets after you complete the level (modern source ports fix this). Map makers didn't want players searching for secrets that didn't exist so they would give one to the player so the end of level screen would say 100% secrets.

I made a topic last year about WADs with strict design limitations. Lots of small maps. Some a little too small. Gimmicks can be fun sometimes! Hope you see something you like!