Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mad Dal 85

LMP audio format?

Question

What's an LMP audio format? And how can I converter to .wav? Or what is the best audio converter to use for it?

I got 723 sounds in my mod under multi audio formats and I want to convert them all to one single format. 

14 answers to this question

36 minutes ago, Mad Dal 85 said:

Slade 3 won't let me convert them. I even got the latest version and that won't let me neither. It'll let me convert 'doom' to '.wav' and vice versa but nothing else. 

That's what you want to do, convert it to a WAV file. They are initially stored as a Doom format sound.

LMP is not an audio format, it's the shorthand for "lump" which in this case refers to a file with no determined format, a binary chunk of data. Slade calls it a LMP because there's nothing else to call it (Doom format audio files would otherwise have no file extension). You need to convert it from a Doom format sound to WAV first, and then export it, and Slade3 will call it a WAV.

17 minutes ago, Mad Dal 85 said:

Tried all that. It won't work. Slade only allows me to convert 'Doom' to 'WAV' and vice versa. Nothing else.

Right, yes, that's what you want, a WAV file. WAVs can be used by basically any audio tool, it is an incredibly standard format and can be used by literally any audio program.

Well, the .LMP files I have got are audio files. I take it there's no way to convert them? Some sites have said when submitting wads/mods, that the audio files have to be in certain formats. Anything with .lmp in them are rejected. Unless I create a mediashare account and upload my work on to there and make the download link public, but will people trust those links though... 🤔🤷🏻‍♂️

When you export a sound, let's say the sound GRTNGS1 from HEXEN, it is

saved as GRTNGS1.lmp.

So, to see if your lmp files are audio files load them in a pwad with Slade3.

If they are audio files then you can convert them to wav files, in Slade3.

Give it a try, see hear what happens.

Slade 3 won't let me convert them. I even got the latest version and that won't let me neither. It'll let me convert 'doom' to '.wav' and vice versa but nothing else. 

Also, the .lmp audio came with a few of the monsters and weapons that I downloaded from Realm667

I also have OGG and FLAC sounds too that were in monsters and weapons that I downloaded, and sound converters can convert them easily.

use freac to convert various audio formats to the desired single audio format. 

use slade3 to convert the .lmp files into "doom wavs" (they are just wavs) and export them from slade3 via right click & export dialogue. 

4 hours ago, Mad Dal 85 said:

Also, the .lmp audio came with a few of the monsters and weapons that I downloaded from Realm667

Which ones?

9 minutes ago, waveplay said:

use slade3 to convert the .lmp files into "doom wavs" (they are just wavs) and export them from slade3 via right click & export dialogue. 

Doom wavs are not a thing. You either have the Doom sound format, which is its own thing, or you have WAVs, which are universal.

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Sound

All the technical info about Doom's native sound format is there. There's a little header and then a bunch of samples. The samples themselves are in the most common format found in wav files (PCM)

On 4/8/2020 at 12:06 AM, Edward850 said:

Doom wavs are not a thing. You either have the Doom sound format, which is its own thing, or you have WAVs, which are universal.

-

Edited by garbaged : whatever