Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Straal99

Doom 64

I keep loosing all my guns when I die and have to start over witht the pistol even if I change the level and the other guns were already in my inventory, is this normal or i am getting some kind of bug? I'm playing on the highest difficulty (wich isn't that hard tbh)

1 minute ago, Mr.Rocket said:

The actual Doom64 game, or Doom64EX, or BD64, or a TC wad or..?

Steam version 

Been awhile since I've played but it kind of sounds like the skill level that you're on?

I may be mistaken though.

I'm pretty sure that doom 1 and 2 also work like that.
Just save at the beginning of every level.

12 minutes ago, Mr.Rocket said:

Been awhile since I've played but it kind of sounds like the skill level that you're on?

I may be mistaken though.

If I lower the difficulty also happens, maybe is a feature of the game.

Just now, Danzer said:

I'm pretty sure vanilla doom also works like that.
Just save at the beginning of every level.

That could be a thing. I've been saving at the beginnig of every level in doom and doom 2, maybe is why i haven't encountered this before

Yes, the original Doom works like that, and yeah, not if you don't save your game.

If you exit the level in original Doom however, you should still have the weapons you picked up though!

35 minutes ago, Straal99 said:

I keep loosing all my guns when I die and have to start over witht the pistol even if I change the level and the other guns were already in my inventory, is this normal or i am getting some kind of bug? I'm playing on the highest difficulty (wich isn't that hard tbh)

Doom always worked like this, including Doom64, nothing has changed in that regard. However Doom64 also had the password system that automatically has the last password you obtained typed out (thus allowing you to restart with all your equipment up to that point just by entering the password screen), this is also maintained in the 2020 rerelease. Though as stated you can also just use the save system, it's what it's there for.

11 minutes ago, Mr.Rocket said:

If you exit the level in original Doom however, you should still have the weapons you picked up though!

Just wanted to make this clear, as I edited my post a bit ago..

If it's not doing that in 64, that seems strange. 

1 hour ago, Straal99 said:

That could be a thing. I've been saving at the beginnig of every level in doom and doom 2, maybe is why i haven't encountered this before

If you're using GZDoom, it has an auto save system that saves upon entering a new map and loads immediately after dying, at least I'm pretty sure this is how it works (I don't use GZDoom too often). So it may seem like you don't lose your weapons when you die, this is not vanilla behavior as in the classic games you lose all your weapons and start at 100 health and 0 armor upon death.

3 hours ago, Straal99 said:

you die, you pistol start. this is the same with the classic games.

make good use of F6 to quick save and F9 to quick load.

it will be your dear friend.

when you die, you start again with pistol only. It's absolute standard behavior (which was quite generous btw since back then games didn't use to have "infinte lives" as doom had)