Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Soundblock

What is the maximum wall texture size for Boom?

Compiling a texture resource & it was originally made for ZDoom, with some really wide textures. Thinking I'll chop them down to size for Boom, but not sure what the max width (height?) is...

@Aurelius was looking for the answer to that same question not long ago. Turns out, there's no real limit, you can get away with very large textures by Doom standards.

Keep in mind that Doom Alpha 0.4 (before they actually coded in texture tiling...) had a texture that was 1000x144 (if you check with SLADE 3, it's TEX00015). There's no reason Boom has more stringent texture size limits than one of the earliest builds of the Doom engine. ZDoom, for some reason, has a limit of 2048 in either dimension for patches, but textures can be larger with no issue.

So basically, if your texture sizes work in ZDoom, they presumably also work in Boom.

The main restriction for Boom textures is width. To display correctly in the software renderer it needs to be a power of 2. For example 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512 and 1024 are sizes that I've successfully used.

I've never run into any restrictions regarding height, but I don't think I've ever gone beyond 512 myself.

9 hours ago, Urthar said:

The main restriction for Boom textures is width. To display correctly in the software renderer it needs to be a power of 2. For example 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512 and 1024 are sizes that I've successfully used.

I've never run into any restrictions regarding height, but I don't think I've ever gone beyond 512 myself.

Sounds good! Haven't gone over 1024....