Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chip

What is the hardest Master Level for Doom II

I've played through most of the Master Levels for Doom 2, but I have always wondered which one is the hardest. It took me forever to play Trapped on Titan but never found it that difficult. What are your thoughts?

Titan Manor, in terms of difficulty of progression

TEETH, in terms of difficulty of combat

That's a toss-up between TEETH, Mephisto's Mausoleum and Black Tower.

The former is tough due to the extreme close-quarters combat, and the ending can simply go fuck itself.

Mephisto is flat-out annoying, what with the constant abuse of Revenants, badly placed Mancubi, and the stingy ammo quantity. 

Black Tower is quite a lengthy map with several lethal, yet definitely doable, traps. Gotta be on your feet. 

Yeah, Cranium takes the cake for the hardest maps in the Master Levels. 

I don't like to call Cranium's maps the hardest, they're just hugely unbalanced overall.

The hardest level that isn't bad at the same time is VESPERAS.wad (except for that one secret).

Mephisto's ending is bullshit, I beat the level once but the hit detection with the Icon is really awkward and your rockets are very limited.

The Express Elevator to Hell is as said very cramped, beat it once as well, thought the concept was cool but it's not very fun.

Black Tower is actually my favorite but its got some bizarre methods of activation and a rather cryptic progression.

Vesperas is really nasty and I always confuse it for Nessus but the latter isn't nearly as hostile to the player from the start. It also has THE dumbest logic to figure out how to get the yellow key.

Titan's Manor just has some bad and needlessly cryptic progression, meanwhile I'll mention that Trapped on Titan is quite fun and action-packed and is a far better way to spend 30 minutes.

On 4/8/2020 at 8:56 PM, Lila Feuer said:

Mephisto's ending is bullshit, I beat the level once but the hit detection with the Icon is really awkward and your rockets are very limited.

Just did some noclipping earlier to take a look at it; the designer surrounded the Romerohead with Spectres, so your first few shots don't do anything. I'm sure that was meant to give the boss more hit points. What it actually does is make it feel like you're not even hitting it.

Edit: Sorry, didn't realize I was necroposting. Had too many windows open.

The hardest? Bad dream. Now i know it was a joke wad and all but come on, trying to legit beat it is hard as balls.

9 minutes ago, xScavengerWolfx said:

The hardest? Bad dream. Now i know it was a joke wad and all but come on, trying to legit beat it is hard as balls.

Its actually the easiest of the lot, since its really just a puzzle map that looks intimidating

Other than that, its a tie between TEETH and Mephisto, Sverre's levels have ALWAYS been ballbusters.

7 hours ago, Devalaous said:

Other than that, its a tie between TEETH and Mephisto

Agreed; I did a playthrough of all the master levels last year, and those two constantly had me reloading saves like no other.

They are all hard to play but realy funny and enjoyable on the other side. I like the master levels series a lot too and I've spent already a lot of time playing around with them.

On 4/9/2020 at 2:09 AM, Poncho1 said:

That's a toss-up between TEETH, Mephisto's Mausoleum and Black Tower.

The former is tough due to the extreme close-quarters combat, and the ending can simply go fuck itself.

Mephisto is flat-out annoying, what with the constant abuse of Revenants, badly placed Mancubi, and the stingy ammo quantity. 

Black Tower is quite a lengthy map with several lethal, yet definitely doable, traps. Gotta be on your feet. 

Yeah, Cranium takes the cake for the hardest maps in the Master Levels. 

Agree to the first three maps. Can say nothing about Cranium at the moment.